Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2002, 07:18 AM   #1
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Post Chicago-Area Aikido

Greetings Chicago-Area Aikidoists:

I've just put up a seminar and events listings web page. While this will also list national Ki Society events, it will also list various local seminars in the metro Chicago area and Midwest. It will also list seminars given by Chicago-Area Aikidoists. To see it, just click HERE.

I'll be adding more listings as the summer approaches. If you've got a local seminar or event you would like listed send the info to: tedehara@yahoo.com

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 04-06-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
akiy

And after you've submitted your seminar to Ted's site, please feel encouraged to list them right here on AikiWeb as well:

http://www.aikiweb.com/seminars/submit.html

Of course, the above applies to everyone, not just Chicago area folks...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:37 AM   #3
tedehara

Greetings All,

It looks like this summer will be a busy one for Aikidoists in the Chicago/Midwest area.

I've just posted information on a new seminar by Ikeda Shihan and a Memorial Training Session for Fumio Toyoda Shihan with a new address for a dojo. You can read about them by clicking here.

You can also go to the Chicago Ki Society Annex and click the link to Chicago/Midwest Aikido Events.

Remember: Preregistration is advised in all events listed.

Have a good summer.

Last edited by tedehara : 06-19-2002 at 03:08 PM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 06-18-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
Leslie Parks
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo
I don't want anyone to get confused out there by a small part of the above statement about the "new address for the AAA dojo". A group that is not AAA/AAI and has no Toyoda family members has been advertising a Toyoda Shihan Memorial Training on July 4 AND using the Toyoda family crest. They are, of course, free to train as they wish. However, for the sake of clarity, this group is NOT a AAA/AAI dojo in any capacity.

AAA instructors, students and friends are, of course, conducting a Memorial Training for their founder and teacher at Toyoda Sensei's dojo, Ryoshinkan, in Palatine on July 4. Contact AAA Headquarters (AikidoAmer@aol.com), still located at 1016 W. Belmont (Tenshinkan Dojo), for more details or visit their website (www.aaa-aikido.com). Training is at 9:30 a.m. with a pot luck lunch to follow. See you there.

Other than that, it sure is going to be busy in Chicago...train hard, train well and find peace.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:56 AM   #5
Leslie Parks
Ai symbol

Ted,
thanks for making that correction...As Toyoda Sensei told me (countless times) "You have to be CLEAR". Boy, I miss him.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:52 AM   #6
tedehara

Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie Parks
Ted,
thanks for making that correction...As Toyoda Sensei told me (countless times) "You have to be CLEAR". Boy, I miss him.
Thanks for pointing out the listing errors. These mistakes were cause by my misunderstanding. I can't seem to find anyone else to blame.

I've also listed two new AAA events and updated the Sato Seminar on the Chicago-Area Seminar and Events Page.

About Ki
About You
Old 06-26-2002, 08:23 AM   #7
Paul Smith
Toyoda Shihan Memorial Training

Thank you also for the correction to the above; AAA is the organization which Toyoda Sensei led before he passed away, while Aikido Shinjinkai is a new independent organization founded and led by several of his uchideshi and senior students. Both organizations are rightfully having a memorial service to honor their teacher. I'm certain anyone else wishing to honor Toyoda Sensei is welcome at either event. Best wishes to all.

Paul Smith
Old 07-03-2002, 12:44 PM   #8
Leslie Parks
Speaking as a direct student of Toyoda Sensei whose relationship with him was excellent (and remains excellent with his organization and family), I agree,Paul, that your organization is rightfully conducting a memorial separate from Toyoda Sensei's family and his organization. The individuals of your organization chose to walk away from AAA of their own volition. As I said in an earlier post, you are free to train as you wish.

That being said, your organization does not have the right to use the kamon or family crest as your organization has done (on the flyer for the memorial training, using it as a click through button for "traditional aikido training" as two examples). Convention, good manners, and legal trademark dictate that use and authorization of use of the Toyoda kamon is restricted to the Toyoda family and their organization, AAA. This does not include some self-proclaimed "successor" such as your leader. When
holding memorial training for O Sensei, did you ever see Toyoda Sensei using the Ueshiba mon???

The family crest, which goes back to ancient Japan, had been used by Toyoda Sensei in relation to AAA (the dream and life work of Toyoda Sensei, not just some organization he led) for many years as a means of identifying the organization (a common practice)personally with himself and his family which includes his wife and his two sons. Use of the mon by non-affiliated organizations without express permission opens the possibility for confusion and legal recourse as the Toyoda kamon continues to be identified with AAA, as that organization is continuing as a legitimate Aikido organization, led by the Toyoda family with the express support and assistance of the AAA instructors and Aikikai leadership including the Doshu.

The communications I have received from AAA have been very clear about your dojo's leader and his permanent loss of connection with AAA and the Toyoda family. AAA has also been very clear about his PERMANENT loss of rank (he WAS yondan, NOT a godan) and also loss of certification with Aikikai Hombu Dojo at the decision of the Doshu, Moriteru Ueshiba. It is your leader's decision to continue to advertise himself at a rank never earned,using the personal symbols of Toyoda Sensei and his family against their express wishes. Given the facts that you yourself hadn't been active in Aikido for several years when Sensei died; you decided to insult an instructor on your way out of the dojo; the other uchideshi had been dismissed for inappropriate conduct by Toyoda Sensei(Toyoda Sensei was NEVER taking him back, as he told me personally); and the other senior instructor was on a "leave of absence" in order to make Sensei "understand just what his level of involvement would be" in AAA (as Sensei said to me, "He's done."), I shouldn't be too surprised that you all seem to have forgotten all that you were supposed to have learned about history, protocol, humility and respect, not to mention Aikido. So, best of luck and knock yourselves out on Thursday!
Old 07-03-2002, 01:39 PM   #9
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
"As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create and opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you."

"Do not concern yourself with the right and wrong of others."

A couple of quotes from O Sensei. Happy 4th everyone!

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/
Old 07-03-2002, 05:01 PM   #10
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie Parks
That being said, your organization does not have the right to use the kamon or family crest as your organization has done (on the flyer for the memorial training, using it as a click through button for "traditional aikido trainingEas two examples). Convention, good manners, and legal trademark dictate that use and authorization of use of the Toyoda kamon is restricted to the Toyoda family and their organization, AAA. This does not include some self-proclaimed "successor" such as your leader. When
holding memorial training for O Sensei, did you ever see Toyoda Sensei using the Ueshiba mon???
All other political stuff aside, I would think that it would be quite difficult to establish exclusive trademark rights to the kamon that Toyoda used. The one pictured on the pages is "sagari-fuji" ("weeping wisteria"), used by the Fujiwara family originally, and very popular in Japan. I'm sure that tens of thousands of Japanese families use the exact same crest.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-03-2002, 06:30 PM   #11
Hogan
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Li

All other political stuff aside, I would think that it would be quite difficult to establish exclusive trademark rights to the kamon that Toyoda used. The one pictured on the pages is "sagari-fuji" ("weeping wisteria"), used by the Fujiwara family originally, and very popular in Japan. I'm sure that tens of thousands of Japanese families use the exact same crest.

Best,

Chris
You are quiet right, Chris.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:23 PM   #12
Tom C
"...The last thing I wish to convey is to his students.

Keep the dream and philosophy he has left to all of you. Help each other. Now that he is gone, stay on you own path. Don't be pulled apart in different directions by others; you have had a very good instructor.

To Fumio Toyoda Sensei…Sayonara

Aikido Nippon Kan
Kancho Gaku Homma"
Old 07-04-2002, 11:24 AM   #13
Paul Smith
I will not respond specifically to Ms. Parks comments. I do not think it appropriate to turn this public forum into a personal debate.

Suffice it to say that I believe all of Toyoda Sensei's students must train in the way they feel they can best honor their Sensei. No amount of vitriol or misinformation will alter the basic question we all must ask: How do we train with an earnest heart, in the face of the loss of a man who was Teacher and everything that connotes?

Everything else, in my view, is wasted effort. Gambatte,and peace,

Paul Smith
Old 07-04-2002, 05:26 PM   #14
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
Re: Re: Toyoda Shihan Memorial Training

Quote:
Originally posted by outrageous02909
does anyone know why the why the leader of shinjinkai left the AAA.
The situation was simply that Toyoda Sensei died suddenly without leaving any definite plan as to how the organization would continue. After serving for some time as one of the Directors of the organizations, he was unhappy with the direction things were going, including what he perceived to be a general trend toward a watering down of the training curriculum. For those reasons he split off along with other senior students (e.g. David Miller Sensei) to start their own organization, preserving what they saw as the training system that Sensei left us in both Aikido and Zen.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by daedalus : 07-06-2002 at 05:18 PM.

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/
Old 07-06-2002, 07:57 AM   #15
Laura DeGraff
Dojo: Kiku Matsu Dojo
United_States
Boy, Toyoda Sensei once again left us with fireworks!!

The memorial service held at Ryoshinkan Dojo in Palatine, Illinois, on July 4th was a tearful and joyous event. Over 80 people gathered to honor our Founder, Fumio Toyoda Shihan with a memorial service led by Shaku Joseph Jarman, one of Toyoda Sensei's long-time students, followed by some intense, albeit "watered-down" training led by our recently appointed AAA Chief Instructor, Andrew Sato Sensei.

One comment regarding the use of the Toyoda name and family crest in regards to the trademarking issue:
Actually the name and crest can be trademarked by the AAA for use in their organization. A trademark is based upon not simply a name or design, but how that name or design is used in conjunction with specific goods and services offered by the owner. Since the Toyoda name and crest have been used for years as identifiers for the AAA in conjunction with martial arts education, they are valid representations of the organization. Generally, being able to prove usage over a lengthy period of time is enough to constitute ownership of a design or name. The Toyoda name and crest have for years been identifiers of the AAA and for that reason it is inappropriate for a non-affiliated organization to use them in their marketing.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:51 AM   #16
Hogan
Quote:
Originally posted by Laura DeGraff
One comment regarding the use of the Toyoda name and family crest in regards to the trademarking issue:
Actually the name and crest can be trademarked by the AAA for use in their organization. A trademark is based upon not simply a name or design, but how that name or design is used in conjunction with specific goods and services offered by the owner. Since the Toyoda name and crest have been used for years as identifiers for the AAA in conjunction with martial arts education, they are valid representations of the organization. Generally, being able to prove usage over a lengthy period of time is enough to constitute ownership of a design or name. The Toyoda name and crest have for years been identifiers of the AAA ...
From Trademard law:
"What are common law rights?

Federal registration is not required to establish rights in a trademark. Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark. Generally, the first to either use a mark in commerce or file an intent to use application with the Patent and Trademark Office has the ultimate right to use and registration. However, there are many benefits of federal trademark registration."

Although I do not know how easy, or if it permitted, to trademark legally a symbol of a plant, or to trademark a family-crest that is widespread in Japan, as Chris alluded to. This link further shows that just in this family, over 25% of the families of just one particular family in Japan uses it.... But I am not a lawyer....

http://www.mms-net.com/samurai/kamon-e.html
Old 07-06-2002, 04:10 PM   #17
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Hogan

Although I do not know how easy, or if it permitted, to trademark legally a symbol of a plant, or to trademark a family-crest that is widespread in Japan, as Chris alluded to. This link further shows that just in this family, over 25% of the families of just one particular family in Japan uses it.... But I am not a lawyer....

http://www.mms-net.com/samurai/kamon-e.html
Checking around, I note that the name cited on the page above ("Goto") is used by somewhere around 400,000 people in Japan - which would mean that a quarter of them (100,000) would use the same crest as Toyoda. This doesn't include the 3 or 4 hundred thousand people actually named "Fujiwara", among whom use of the crest would probably be more common, and other people with some kind of connection to the original Fujiwara family that have adopted the crest (like Toyoda). I would think that even a conservative estimate would give you well over a million Japanese using the crest as their family emblem.

Of course, anything can happen in a courtroom, especially in the US where most legal authorities have no idea of what you'd be claiming trademark rights to, but I don't imagine that it would be all that hard to make a strong case that the crest exists in the public domain and has done so for hundreds of years. But I'm no lawyer either .

Best,

Chris

Old 07-06-2002, 04:17 PM   #18
Blaine Feyen
Dojo: Yushinkan Dojo/Toyoda Center/Grand Rapids,MI
Excommunication of former AAA student

Quote:
Originally posted by outrageous02909
does anyone know why the why the leader of shinjinkai left the AAA.
Lest anyone be confused about the recent events that have taken place at the AAA/AAI headquarters in Chicago, the AAA/AAI headquarters is continuing as usual with all of the strength, energy, and vigor that Toyoda Shihan had intended when he started the AAA. The AAA/AAI is quite competently handling the day to day business that Toyoda Shihan spent his life establishing. There is not a man or woman alive that could possibly stem the tidal wave of energy that has been created by Toyoda Shihan's life, his work, and more recently, his passing.

As many of you have pointed out, our training in Aikido is of utmost importance and the inappropriate and misguided actions of one small individual should not occupy our hearts and minds. It is unfortunate when something like the sudden and unexpected death of a mentor, leader, friend, father, husband, and teacher occurs, but it has, that is reality, and it is just another teaching from a great teacher!

The AAA/AAI, along with Aikikai Hombu Dojo, have made a statement regarding the actions and recognition of this person and the statement is: "this person is no longer recognized, nor will he ever be again, in the eyes of Hombu Dojo".

With that being said, although it is more important to just train and not concern ourselves with insignificant struggles for perceived power, it is important for the safety and welfare of the public at large to be able to make an educated choice when it comes to quality training and who to follow, since many of you have voiced appropriately that we all have a choice with whom to train.

As many of you already know, the "leader" of the shinjinkai club spent many years studying with Toyoda Shihan, it was apparent to all, based on his title and daily role at the AAA Headquarters that his loyalties were there as well. Several years prior to the passing of Toyoda Shihan, this person had a "falling out" with Mr.Toyoda and left his job as well as the organization. It is important to note that this was a most difficult time for Toyoda Shihan since he was building his lifelong dream, a world headquarters for all of Aikido. A place for people from all organizations, all states, and all countries, to come and train in Aikido. Needless to say, the "leader" of the shinjinkai club never reconciled with Toyoda Shihan prior to his passing. It was only after Toyoda Shihan's death that this person came back into the AAA as a director after much debate from the other directors.

Although the specific details are not important for everyone to know, it is important to recognize that while any organization is free to dismiss any of its members for any reason, Hombu dojo does not, just on a whim, excommunicate its members. Only after careful review of very specific situations has Hombu dojo relieved itself of just 2 of its relationships in its history. One of the two is the "leader" of the shinjinkai club. Among other very serious violations, it was brought to the attention of the other directors that this person perceived an opportunity (with the input from his Zen teacher in Hawaii and supposed friend of Toyoda Shihan)now that Toyoda Shihan was gone, to take over a crippled AAA or at least reduce its value from within by creating conflict through deception. This would allow the Zen "master" and his so called "big guns" to swoop down and buy the organization at a firesale price, especially if the Zen master was able to sit across the desk from where Toyoda Shihan use to sit, facing Toyoda Shihan's grieving wife and threaten her to sell or else... Unfortunately for all of them, they all forgot that Mrs. Toyoda was married to Toyoda Shihan for a quarter century. You could not possibly scare her into giving up what her husband has built with his life. In addition, the organization that Toyoda Shihan built is far too powerful and loyal to let that happen. When it became apparent to several groups within the AAA/AAI that something was amiss, the whistle was blown and the plan was revealed.

Whether his plan was foiled or just accelerated, nevertheless he was asked to leave. For those of you who wish to exercise your "freedom" of choice, remember, there are governing bodies that recognize quality instruction for the safety of the students. When your teacher is no longer recognized by any of these governing bodies(not by choice), you must think freely and be very, very careful!

It is unfortunate that the comments being made regarding a "watering down" of technique back at AAA/AAI headquarters are being parroted by one young and impressionable student who took a 6 week introductory course under the "leader" of the shinjinkai club and doesnt know any better yet. He is not to blame for his ignorance, he only knows what his instructor tells him to say.

An interesting point about instruction is that before the "leader" of shinjinkai was asked to leave the AAA/AAI he had a position as a director and head instructor in charge of the quality of instruction. The same head instructors that have been around for many years are the same instructors that are there today and taught this person everything he knows. If he perceived a problem with the instruction he must have perceived it in himself because the responsibility was his to maintain the level of instruction. The other interesting point is that beginning shortly after he was asked to leave the AAA until today he has attempted to regain his position within the AAA. For all of you who chose to follow this "leader", beware, you too will be left in the wake of what he believes to be a better opportunity in the future. It is quite interesting to note that all of the people that were the "dregs" of the Aikido world and could never escape his vile opinion of them when he and I were roommates are now his best friends and affiliates. Seems that it is beneficial to him now to be associated with all those who were once disregarded as quality Aikidoka, those for whom his opinion was influencial in having them dismissed from the AAA.

Of course, it is natural for there to be bickering amongst different groups. That is how we survive, it is not how we would always like things, but it is the reality of human nature, nonetheless. Whether you use someone elses Kamon or name for your marketing purposes will always be an issue for those emotionally attached. The bigger issues, however, those regarding whether or not you believe your own hype and for what reason are you truly teaching Aikido are the ones that current and future students should concern themselves with. At the beginning of the day when you look yourself in the mirror, do you have to lie to yourself to affirm your misguided aims or at a minimum, to justify what you have done to yourself, your friends, and the memory and teachings of your teacher? If the answer is "Yes", you may still have some hope of redemption. If the answer is "No", then the illness that has taken your mind and your conscience will also someday relieve you of your body.

Aikido is the study of Universal principles, relationships, communication, and whatever additional benefit you may get from your training. If your gut tells you that your "leader" is not living the principles he or she is preaching then it is time to move on. Be very, very careful with whom you choose to follow! You may never get a second chance!

Last edited by Blaine Feyen : 07-06-2002 at 04:21 PM.