Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #126
Phil Parsons
Dojo: Makotokan Dojo
Canada
Re: Instructors of low rank

I'm the lowest ranking instructor on the student-instructor rotation at my dojo, at 2nd kyu. When I teach, I just pick some techniques and try to focus on a theme, and then break people up into groups by rank so they can train on techniqes at their own level. I ask the students who are senior to me for some input when explaining a technique, as I am explaining it primarily for the sake of junior students.

As a senior student being instructed by a lower-ranking student, the most important thing to remember is that you should be supportive of the class and contribute to the training. Furthermore, keep it in mind that it is as much a learning experience for the instructor as it is for the students. If you have something to contribute to the instruction, offer it, but don't hijack the class.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #127
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

At some point, all chief instructors are instructors of people who will someday, hopefully, become instructors themselves. My job these days is to create good instructors. With that in mind, I realize that behavioural modelling is important in learning how to teach. However, so is practice. As such, I must ask the lower ranked person to teach while I practice so that I can observe how he or she teaches, then, after class or after the teaching period, I need to provide the lower rank with feedback on what they did. Lower ranks need to teach at times. If the chief instructor doesn't teach them how to teach and let the person practice, the chief instructor will never be able to take a break and go to teach a seminar somewhere or do other things. Students may pay me to teach. Usually, instead, I pay to teach. But even if they do pay, part of that payment is for the feedback after the person teaches and I can comment on what he or she did. Letting a person who is trying to learn to become a good instructor flounder around because I haven't given him or her decent feedback after observing his or her performance is quite wasteful of both of our times.

Rock
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #128
Erik Jögimar
Dojo: Linköping Budo club
Sweden

I would respect sensei's choice in deshi to teach the class, and give the deshi the opportunity to learn. I'm new to teaching but it does help me put things into perspective, in my head.

That's how the Dojo works. You give, and you take. The student learns from sensei, and sometimes they give something in return and get something back from it in the process.

Just give me your wrist!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #129
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Whoever is teaching should be given the same respect as the sensei. Even if that person is the lowest ranked person in the class.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #130
Walter Martindale
Canada

Old Thread Alert!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #131
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

Teaching is also a learning process, as long as the student teaching can teach proper technics with confidence, but please lets not forget to respect who ever is teaching, because that is a challenge in itself and takes a lot of courage.