Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #26
dps

Re: is aikido in the work place wrong?

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote:
you guys are all crazy!
Yes, one too many breakfalls.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #27
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

I take offense to crazy, that would suggest that I didnt know what i was doing ... i prefer sick, twisted or peverse! lmao ...
personally I think that discribes most MA students though

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:17 AM   #28
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

Medics....and martial arts....and ninja masks....
Arrrgh...I can't resist:

http://drmcninja.com

Click on the Archives link for the the older series.

Sorry....

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 AM   #29
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
If riga mortis has set in, you can practice on a 'fully resistant' uke
It's been done:

Percept Mot Skills. 1993 Aug;77(1):123-31

An anatomical analysis of Aikido's second teaching: an investigation of Nikyo.

Olson GD, Seitz FC.

Department of Health and Human Development, Montana State University, Bozeman 59717.

One of the strongest subduing techniques of the Martial Art Aikido is classified as Nikyo (Second-teaching). This investigation focused on examining this teaching with the intention of describing the anatomical tissues involved in the etiology of pain experienced with the application of this procedure. Particular focus was placed on the examination of a cadaver's arm musculature affected when this maneuver was applied precisely.

(emphasis mine)
Old 07-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #30
dps

Quote:
Cito Maramba wrote:
It's been done:

Olson GD, Seitz FC.

Department of Health and Human Development, Montana State University, Bozeman 59717.

One of the strongest subduing techniques of the Martial Art Aikido is classified as Nikyo (Second-teaching). This investigation focused on examining this teaching with the intention of describing the anatomical tissues involved in the etiology of pain experienced with the application of this procedure. Particular focus was placed on the examination of a cadaver's arm musculature affected when this maneuver was applied precisely.

(emphasis mine)

Its been done.

A Short History of Daito-ryu Aikijutjitsu

THE DAITORYU is believed to have originated within the family of Emperor Seiwa and to have been greatly developed by one of the emperor's descendants, Shinra Saburo Minamoto no Yoshimitsu, in the eleventh century. Through his careful study of human anatomy-he made a point of visiting battlefields and execution grounds to examine and dissect the bodies of war dead and executed criminals-Yoshimitsu determined which were the most effective strikes, blows, holds, joint locks, and pins. To fathom the mysteries of aiki, or harmonized energy, Yoshimitsu spent hours observing a female spider trapping prey in her web. Furthermore, he was a talented musician, and while accompanying dancers on his sho (a type of wind instrument), he gained insight into the nature of good rhythm and smooth transition between movements. Yoshimitsu incorporated all of this knowledge into the martial art he had been taught by family members and then passed on to his sons this improved and expanded system-which came to be known as the "Daitoryu," after the name of one of his residences.

Omiya, Shiro, The Hidden Roots of Aikido, Kodansha International, Tokyo 1998.

So Emma this could be an "off the mat" opportunity for you.

Last edited by dps : 07-10-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #31
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Cito Maramba wrote:
It's been done:

Olson GD, Seitz FC.

(emphasis mine)
Eeeww.

I think rigor mortis had gone before they started playing with the cadaver, but it's still neat that someone did research like that.

Wierd, but neat.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 07-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #32
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Thanks Cito & Dave for the additional info, and I thought I was just making a sick joke!

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #33
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Off the cadaver thing and more on 'aikido at work' - I threw a supervisor over a desk at this company in my first six months here. He was pushy. We had words; I said the 'magic two words' in English and he punched me across the jaw. True to (my sick, sad) form I smiled and invited him to do it again. He complied and I used his energy to hurl him over my desk. I still work here; he does not...............oddly though, I've never been promoted........not in ten years. hmmm.

dave
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #34
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
I still work here; he does not...............oddly though, I've never been promoted........not in ten years. hmmm.

dave
Maybe you need to kick some more ass!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #35
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
Off the cadaver thing and more on 'aikido at work' - I threw a supervisor over a desk at this company in my first six months here. He was pushy. We had words; I said the 'magic two words' in English and he punched me across the jaw. True to (my sick, sad) form I smiled and invited him to do it again. He complied and I used his energy to hurl him over my desk. I still work here; he does not...............oddly though, I've never been promoted........not in ten years. hmmm.

dave
Maybe they are concerned about the size of the Boardroom table and whether they would be able to ukemi over it!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #36
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom
Tongue Re: is aikido in the work place wrong?

i was going to say that i think Emma may be a little crazy, but in a good way (as chris said to me on monday) but i think it's more than Emma is crazy, and i only signed up today

I think i'll fit in just fine

as for the Aikido at Work, my term time job is in the uni bar, one of the guys who works there is a bit of an expletive and had tried to (and suceeded to) hit me a few times, i got annoyed, the next time he tried it i sort of took control of him, walked him into the storeroom (not being too carefull about not hitting his head off the walls as i went) and nikkyo-ed him until he was well and truely sorry, and apparently i have a really evil nikkyo, i then let it be know what this expletive had been doing and various other members of bar staff had "a quiet word" with him over the next week. *grynz* you'd think all those lovely boys didn't approve of expletive hitting me