Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Learn Aikido in 80 minutes

Someone may have mentioned this clip before, though a search didn't reveal anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM4zDi--z9E

Interesting idea in its own way. If anyone has seen these, can they offer comment and analysis?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Learn Aikido in 80 minutes

Not much to go on Bob. Looked at the video and...okay.

I do agree that we can teach certain basic things very quickly especially if we take a Macro vice a Micro focused learning perspective.

Something I learned from Army Combatives was this approach. We take our Soldiers and teach them very, very basic large/macro movements such as the clinch drill and basic escapes etc. Alot of it reminds me of what I see on that video.

Large, gross movements that are done over and over and over again until they become ingrained as patterns. Sure, you can teach some very retainable things in this method...in 80 minutes!

I do it all the time!

However "Learn Aikido in 80 minutes?" lol...no I don't think so.

I went to his website hoping to get a little more info on his methodology, I was especially interested i what that "Matrix" was on the ground and the concept behind the "Matrix". Alas, no info except the same usual "sign up here for more info" or "all this for 9.99". So, I am a little suspicious behind the purpose and intent of what is actually being sold.

I do think though that we tend to focus way, way too much on details in Aikido..way before we have develop students foundational skills. I personally have a list of basic body skills I believe need to be "mastered" prior to moving on to the "pHD" stuff we do in Aikido.

So, yea...I see some "value" in legitmacy in the methods demonstrated, but "learning aikido in 80 minutes".....okay, let me take one of those 80 minute masters and put him into jiyu waza and randori and let me see how well they do.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Sy Labthavikul
Dojo: Aikido Academy USA of Alhambra
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I do think though that we tend to focus way, way too much on details in Aikido..way before we have develop students foundational skills. I personally have a list of basic body skills I believe need to be "mastered" prior to moving on to the "pHD" stuff we do in Aikido.
What basic body skills are on your list, Kevin? I know personally my ability to use my bodyweight to power certain movements instead of upper body strength seemed to explode overnight after I started doing "ass to grass" squats, both with and without weights. And my ability to maintain relaxed upper body extension without reliance on the shoulders improved when I started doing planche progressions (though the planche is anything but a basic body skill; being able to hold a plank for a long time is probably just as good).

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
So, yea...I see some "value" in legitmacy in the methods demonstrated, but "learning aikido in 80 minutes".....okay, let me take one of those 80 minute masters and put him into jiyu waza and randori and let me see how well they do.
Does that instructor make claims that you can "master" aikido in 80 minutes or simply learn some basic, fundamental principles? I can accept the latter, not the former. And actually, if what he is teaching is like what you're saying - basic movements that are natural and more principle based and have a wide variety of applications - then they would probably do decently well in both jiyu waza and randori since those movements can very quickly be applied where spontaneity is required.

They certainly would have to get comfortable with the concept of freestyle practice or multiple attackers - I'd wager their main difficulty would be just that, getting used to these training paradigms - but that is separate from the principles they've already picked up using this method. Once they did get used to it, they'd just do what they were doing in the video: "circle, circle, circle." Which is actually a pretty good first step imho.

---------------------------------
train as if the tengu will never visit, execute as if they already have
Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Not that I'm much of an expert, but it seems a little dubious to me. The web site had a testemonial describing a guy who started martial arts in 1990 and by 1993 had practiced Karate, Kung Fu, Aikido and other arts. I'm all for the idea that learning body dynamics can be relatively easy, for no other reason than they're intrinsic abilities. I also can buy into the notion that some of what holds people back from learning relatively quickly is the mind-set that comes from believing you can't do something (which gradually gets chipped away during training).
BUT!
Quote:
MATRIXING!
An incredible, brand new science.
Entirely original research.
Complete and entire arts
What does ‘all the way' mean?
‘All the Way' means
you could master it in months.
Not the decades it now takes,
but months.
I don't know...this sounds like hype...which might be simply because this is a business, but I don't trust the language. Seems like an affordable price though at 10 bucks

Last edited by mathewjgano : 01-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
crbateman

Uhhh... hmmm...
Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
lbb
United_States

Maybe the real question is whether someone can use this program to get what they want out of aikido in 80 minutes. Of course, so many people would come to that question without any really good idea of what they want, that perhaps the only possible answer is, "Um...uh....maybe? Er, what was the question again?"
Old 01-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Hey Sy, for me, basic skills involve clinching, takedowns, and various ground positions and ground skills. All very macro focused stuff...you know, grappling skills. Once a student has some body awareness and understanding of the fundamentals of these things, have gain an awareness of position, posture, relaxation etc from the close fight, then I think they are more prepared to deal with the more advanced skills we study in Aikido.

Of course, this is just my opinion. However, IMEs decent fundamental grappling skills can be obtained in about 6 months to a year really, if you are not concerned with any high degree of mastery of these skills, but only the basics.

Yea and good point on the "master" part of it. I agree in retrospect, he doesn't really claim mastery and "learn aikido in 80 minutes" is really a very open ended concept with a huge band of what could be considered "learn".

Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
dps

No basic skills at all. Bad posture, bad balance, bad movement, unless,....its Drunken Monkey Aikido.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

of course you can learn Aikido in 80 minutes. won't even take that long. shouldn't take long to learn how to write "aikido", 5 minutes.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Tinyboy344

United_States

I have a "How to be a Super Ninja" video course. Anyone like? It will teach you how to be invisible in 90 mins. Why even bother "throwing people in a room around effortlessly" when you can just sneak pass them.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Duy Trinh wrote: View Post
I have a "How to be a Super Ninja" video course. Anyone like? It will teach you how to be invisible in 90 mins. Why even bother "throwing people in a room around effortlessly" when you can just sneak pass them.
I'll trade you "Ninjutsu for Women" by Ashida Kim, and throw in a can of Budweiser that someone left in my fridge at a party about six years ago.

(isn't it great to have friends who support your interest in martial arts with appalling joke gifts?)
Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Kevin, I can grasp your point about basic skills, but do you see any basic skills training in that video. Personnally, I don't see anything that I would choose for a quick and dirty intro to aikido in there. The best I can say is that they look fairly loose and relaxed. Other than that I see people with bad posture taking dives for each other in slow motion. Whatever it is they learned in 80 minutes, I wouldn't call it aikido.

I did check out the web site associated with the clip. They seem to have these programs for all the major martial arts. They don't claim mastery in 80 minutes, that would take a few months.

Jonathan Olson
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

No Jonathon, I don't see anything I would call basic skills. I suppose I was given them credit simply because what they were doing was macro movements that could possibly be refined and turned into something more with more time and training. I suppose for 80 Minutes worth of work, assuming those folks had never done anything before is not too bad.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Uh-oh... Da secret's out...now everyone will be an Akeedo master...
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Reminds of the "Genesis" effect on Star Trek 2 and 3.
As Dr. McCoy said God created the earth in 6 days but look out Genesis can do it in minutes. And we all know the result of that experiment!

Doc
p.s. If you can learn Aikido in 80 minutes, can I get a good deal on a DVD on achieving enlightenment in 5 minutes or less?

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #17
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Shodokan dogma is that all of Aikido are revealed in a single lesson - that takes about 80 minutes.

Now being able to perform and understand might take a tad longer but that is another issue. I don't think Aikido itself is a collection of techniques and variations.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #18
Peter Chenier
Dojo: Summerland Aikikai
Canada

Watching this reminded me of my first seminar. The shihan walked right over to me after I had tried my best to emulate what he had demonstrated and with a very gentle smile and amused look in his eyes, said " You all mix up"! Then he laughed a little... :0)
Old 01-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #19
Cajunjambaliya
Dojo: Aikido Yuishinkai Newport (Soon)
Australia

You can teach a crash course lesson in 80 minutes. However the actual lessons of Aikido would be lost. This course would result in someone being over confident in their knew found Jedi skills and either hurt someone or themselves.

On a side note, I have watched Karate Kid many times. I can do the wax on, wax off technique like a pro

Very Good GrassHopper.....
Old 01-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #20
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel

Can you ship it to Israel?

LOL

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai