Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Arashi Kumomura
Dojo: Tsuki Kage
United_States
chisa katana vs kokatana

I've been curious about the difference between a chisa katana and a kokatana (or is it more appropriate to call it "kogatana").

I know enough Japanese to understand the meaning of the terms. Are they perhaps the same thing or is there any point in distinguishing them? Is one term more common than the other?

Also, I've heard mixed things about the different lengths of swords and the determining sizes. For instance, the point when a wakizashi becomes a katana and a katana becomes an otachi or a daitou.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: chisa katana vs kokatana

I've never actually heard those terms used by anyone in the JSA. I'm sure someone might, but it's pretty rare. Among collectors there might be more distinctions given, but from a modern/JSA perspective, it's more about relative size to the practitioner and less about absolute lengths. When I go to Japan I always borrow a sword from my school there to cut with, and while it's a 'katana' in their eyes, it's almost a wakizashi to me since it's about 3-4" shorter than my normal blade. Very awkward to noto correctly.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Arashi Kumomura
United_States

That's an interesting concept, that the terms may be relative to the user versus a standard determining length. I'm 5' 6" and have somewhat short arms, so an ideal katana length would probably be shorter for me than for most others (overall wingspan is 5' 3" and each of my arms is about 2').

So, one thing I was getting to was the ideal length of a sword for me and what a standard katana (perhaps 29' blade) would be regarded as if I were to use one.

I've been playing with some original nito ryu techniques and ideas and instead of using a katana and wakizashi, I was thinking about using something in-between in both hands.

So, any information that you guys can give me would be appreciated. : )
Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

What does Nathan think?

Different schools of sword often have some way of determining the correct blade length for that style. How you use the sword (specific to your ryu-ha) determines its dimensions. For example, if I was do do Yanagi Ryu style kenjutsu, I would need a much longer tsuka than the Shinto Ryu that I do study. In some styles of Iai, the techniques call for a VERY long blade, but if you were to study Shindo Yoshin ryu, you would want a sword you could hold by your side and not touch the ground with.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
Arashi Kumomura
United_States

Wow. That's pretty interesting. To be honest, I don't know what our dojo's standards are when determining correct blade length and how we refer to the varying sizes. The dojo also actually just loaned me a Yagyu-style (I believe it's Yagyu) bokken and the difference between it and my other bokken is pretty significant.

I'll need to ask Nate (my sensei). I've been pretty sick for the past couple of weeks so I've been out of commission since I've come to this question and haven't found the opportunity to ask.

Thanks, Christian. : )