Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
kvnmcwebn
Dojo: rillion gracie ireland
Ireland
doka

In a forest of enemy spears I find myself surrouned,
Then I realize that their very spears are my shield.

The first time I read this I thought it was the most beautiful and intriguing four lines I head ever read.
I've pondered it's meaning for months. It's meaning hit me today out of the blue. Now I think that the founder was a very enlightened being and had mastered the highest level of strategy.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: doka

The Doka of Truth.
G.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
DH
United_States

Quote:
Kevin McMonagle wrote: View Post

The first time I read this I thought it was the most beautiful and intriguing four lines I head ever read.
I've pondered it's meaning for months. It's meaning hit me today out of the blue. Now I think that the founder was a very enlightened being and had mastered the highest level of strategy.
This a serious practical and tactical teaching with value to a budoka. It is an old teaching going back to Vegititus, the Roman general in his book of strategy.
Sadly, it can also be taken up by ner do wells and utterly incompetent people to new heights of new age rhetoric and nonsense and be emptied of all practical worth to a budoka.

The only thing left to do is to face people -who claim to be Budoka- with spears. In quick order you will discover who is actually worth listening to and how utterly worthlessness some people's understanding of budo is. For this reason, many people-particularly established teachers- will never meet and be tested.

"Do not look to authority for truth...look to truth for authority"
Dan
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Rob Watson
United_States

The 'textbook' of Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/war/vegetius/

Wikipedia has some interesting info on the work and the man ... strange echoes can be heard.

Tangent: spears made with fire sharpened points have been found and dated ~400,000 years of age. Seems that any srious budoka should know a thing or two about how to handle a spear.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
DH
United_States

Spot on Rob.
At this point anyone who thinks Ueshiba's doka are the work of a singular genius suffers from a serious lack in education.
Xan

Last edited by DH : 03-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
graham christian
England

A Doka of truth has no owner.

Trapped by history, led by physical image, thus missing the beauty.

Peace.G.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
graham christian
England

Hi Kevin.
All Doka are poems of the way. Spiritual pointers used by Masters of practices such as Zen, Buddhism, Taoism, etc. Referred to traditionally by those in Martial disciplines who have themselves become masters of an art and refer to the spiritual nature of what they are describing having transcended the physical.

This you probably already know.

So if you follow the way then remember you too are a Doka.

Thus are we truly Aiki Doka.

Peace. G.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
The 'textbook' of Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/war/vegetius/

Wikipedia has some interesting info on the work and the man ... strange echoes can be heard.
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war" - great stuff, even if he was named "Publius". What were his parents thinking?

Best,

Chris

Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war" - great stuff, even if he was named "Publius". What were his parents thinking?

Best,

Chris
The Romans weren't well know for inventivity of making up names. They even started counting them
Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
DH
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post

Tangent: spears made with fire sharpened points have been found and dated ~400,000 years of age. Seems that any srious budoka should know a thing or two about how to handle a spear.
Of training:
.....100 days for spear
...1000 days for bow
10,000 days for sword

For our particular interests in power and aiki; Spear teaches many things, but sword remains the hardest and most complete.
Dan
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
For our particular interests in power and aiki; Spear teaches many things, but sword remains the hardest and most complete.
Dan
i thought the nunchuck is the hardest, since it embodied yin-yang, the hard sticks and the soft rope/chain. not to mention hours of entertainment watching folks trying it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7eLx5JS6b4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg0FT-1YcmA

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
graham christian
England

Let go of the physical, let go of the mind.
Join with the harmony which is already there.

Peace.G.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
kvnmcwebn
Dojo: rillion gracie ireland
Ireland

I agree grahm, it has no answer and it's impossible to improve on the original doka so there's no use trying explain it. Pondering it daily brought about a huge shift in my understanding of strategy at a time when I was faced with overwhelming odds. It has little to do with any specific type of weapon as they are used as metaphors. It has more to do with the transformation from vulnerability to invincibility in the face of a larger force. The first line starts out as someone who is overwhelmed by a larger force. "but then I realized that..." the second line shows that a transformation occurred in his understanding which made him invincible. It was an enlightenment as invincibility is the highest enlightenment of the warrior. I don't mean that in the sense that he defeated 1000 spears with his sword. Losing his life in the "battle" would not have mattered.

Last edited by kvnmcwebn : 03-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States

Quote:
Kevin McMonagle wrote: View Post
Kevin, I've always thought this was a very beautiful thing as well. Our Sensei was actually going over this the other day- explaining that Aikido works because an attacker wants to attach and that chains them where as we are free to move about.

DH,

I'm sorry to say but I highly disagree with

"Of training:
.....100 days for spear
...1000 days for bow
10,000 days for sword"

I actually have worked with both the bow and the sword and I find them both equally complex. Swords have more to master in short distance- but they are ONLY short distance weapons. A bow has been historically a long and mid range weapon used both standing and on horse back. I have much respect for the samurai who could shoot on horse back. Having tried, I find it to be as difficult as fighting an opponent up close. You have to work with: yourself, the horse and the target....Oh and the target is either going to be shooting back, trying to close in for short distance combat or trying to do both. Not fun.