Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Question I.S. the search continues...

With all this talk of internal strength I started trawling the net for what was out there. This guy came up...
Ken Gullette.
http://www.internalfightingarts.com/...set=s:415-pm:p

Anyone had the opportunity to train with this guy or see him in action?

I understand there are many people practising internal arts and some are sincere while others are fake.
There are people here in the forums who are well networked so I thought I would put this out there.

Just a query.

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Shane Goodrich
United_States
Re: I.S. the search continues...

Those clips of him in the tourneys looks like standard stuff to me. Not what Dan or Ark do.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Amassus

New Zealand

I appreciate the reply, Shane.

Thank you.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
dps

Here is a clip from his DVD on internal strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7rn7xzD7JI

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Amassus

New Zealand

Thanks, David.

Even the exercises shown in that short clip give me something to think about and try with like-minded others.

Much appreciated.

Dean.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
dps

Quote:
Shane Goodrich wrote: View Post
Those clips of him in the tourneys looks like standard stuff to me. Not what Dan or Ark do.
Is this like what they do?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Is this like what they do?

David
Yes, these two exercises are very similar to what you would find in a basic workshop with Dan or Mike as well as in most Ki Society's Ki tests. However, I still think that your training needs to be conducted in person with someone else skilled in IP so you can receive supportive feedback on where your skill is as you progress.

Greg
Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States

There's going to be all sorts of levels and gradations of skills, knowledge, etc., out there, so people will have to learn to pick and choose, just like in every other endeavour. There was a thread on QiJin once about "We're not all doing the same thing".... the idea being that every will talk the talk as soon as they get the vocabulary. One thing for certain is that no one can just "get it" because it takes a lot of work and a number of years to reach real expertise; rough and incomplete expertise mixed with a bunch of technique, etc., is going to be what is most commonly found.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
wuyizidi

In Aikido, what are the kanji characters for "internal strength"? What is the definition of internal strength?

In Chinese it's 內勁, where I think the better translation is internal force. In Taiji Quan we say at a fundamental level, fighting is about generating a force (not a strength) and affect your opponent with it. There are many different types of forces, each with its own unique set of characteristics - amount, speed, rate of acceleration, duration, timing, direction, store and release process, etc.

Just as there is no one best car, there is no one best type of force, it all depends on what you're trying to do. In Chinese martial art, we classify forces into two broad categories: external and internal. External means from observing the physical movement used to generate that force, you can understand all its characteristics, and deal with it accordingly. Internal refers to ones where the physical movement is so small, so hard to observe, you can only understand it by feeling it. In general you can generate greater amount of forces with external force, whereas with internal force the chief advantage is that they are great for controlling the opponent.

Lots of so called external martial art actually uses internal type of forces too, but usually they don't emphasize it, or make so little use that there's no need to categorize it and study in detail to start with (ex. boxing). Whereas in something like Taiji Quan (and maybe Aikido?), while we do use external force to finish opponent off, the emphasis is on using internal force to unbalance the opponent first. In a complete art we should understand and use all types of forces as appropriate.

The reason I don't like the term "strength", besides it's not the most accurate translation, is that it further feeds into some of the fundamental misconceptions about internal force. When we say strength, of course more is better. But actually, in training we want to develop as much as possible, in fighting use as little as possible. Be efficient is not some nice-to-have thing when you're fighting multiple opponents or have to fight for a long duration. The other misconception being we want internal force because it's something even more powerful (quantity wise) than external force, when in fact we're comparing apples and oranges.

Here's an article that covers the basics on Taiji Quan's approach to use of force: http://www.ycgf.org/Articles/TJ_Jin/TJ_Jin1.html