Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Dan Harden in Hawaii, July 2014

Registration materials for "Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido", the July 2014 workshops with Dan Harden on Oahu and the Big Island of Hawaii are now available - this July will be the first workshop to held in Hilo!

See the Aikido Sangenkai website for more information.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
Chris Li

United_States
Re: Dan Harden in Hawaii, July 2014

Registrations now in from Japan, Australia, Texas and California (and of couse, Hawaii!). Get your registration in soon to confirm your space.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Hmmm, maybe it's time to work some really late nights for a few months and work some extra projects in. I could both take the family to visit more family in Hilo and get time on the mat... Cool...

No, wait, (open's wallet and flies flutter out), never mind...

Hopefully there'll be a stop in so cal on the way...

Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Mert Gambito

Keith,

A recently validated option: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/us/plane-stowaway/

Mert
Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Zoe
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

More fun in the sun.
Scot, one of Dan's friends visiting from Iwama. All 6' 5" of him launched and slam dunked. And then stood up to his feet from Kokyu dosa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mage_2.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1252  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Chris Li

United_States

It was...impressive.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Chris Li

United_States

A nice review of the Friday night session in Hilo:

"I've done internal arts before as well, such as Iron Shirt Qi Gong and Yang Taijiquan. The teaching that Mr. Dan Harden conveyed to us last night seemed to be bare-bones, no bull, straight to the point info on how to develop internal power. Mr. Harden's explosive power is the action to his words, and the words of many other great teachers that have come before him over the last 2600 years. I was "initiated" by him in that I was on the receiving end of his (thankfully) non-lethal strikes. I could feel the power of those explosive strikes being released into my chest and into my leg. Mr. Harden is a charismatic and knowledgable teacher. I think all martial artists would benefit from learning what Mr. Dan Harden knows. I now know why some people travel from far away places to learn from him."

And here are some photos from the Hawaii workshop.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Zoe
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

A demonstration of:
No shoulder movement
No arm movement
Dantian and legs only
With an 8' piece of 1.5", schedule 40 , PVC pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dan-harden-hilo-july-2014-300-me.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1253  
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

The seminar was fun and a great success! We also had participants from Australia and Thailand visit and train with us. Very special thanks to Steve Adams Sensei and Carrie Yonemori from Seishiakan Aikido dojo for hosting Dan for the first seminar in Hilo. Looks like the registration is up for Dec already. Hilo in December is quite comfortable also!

Also, there is a sumo ring outside the rec center where we train, if you get bored with the IP stuff......

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Zoe Botnaro wrote: View Post
A demonstration of:
No shoulder movement
No arm movement
Dantian and legs only
With an 8' piece of 1.5", schedule 40 , PVC pipe.
Hi Zoe,
You have given our readers the length/dimensions etc? What is the weight?I have seen guys do suburi with a 6ft iron bar with a diameter twice the size of and average jo. Weight lifters even the lightweights can hoist their body weight overhead.I would not think a chunk of plastic tubing would present any problems to an average powerlifter[with or without dantien/tanden.
An old time strongman who was slighly built and went by the name of the Mighty Atom, could bite through silver dollars ,break horse shoes like I break crisps, and he held back a prop engined aeroplane using his hair.That to me is real power.I believe he is called Joseph Gershenson .Cheers, Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi Zoe,
You have given our readers the length/dimensions etc? What is the weight?I have seen guys do suburi with a 6ft iron bar with a diameter twice the size of and average jo. Weight lifters even the lightweights can hoist their body weight overhead.I would not think a chunk of plastic tubing would present any problems to an average powerlifter[with or without dantien/tanden.
An old time strongman who was slighly built and went by the name of the Mighty Atom, could bite through silver dollars ,break horse shoes like I break crisps, and he held back a prop engined aeroplane using his hair.That to me is real power.I believe he is called Joseph Gershenson .Cheers, Joe
-
Correction, the strongman was named Joseph Greenstein .Check out wikipedia. Joe.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

Hey Joe, I actually have the pvc pipe he used at the demonstration. I would say its about 10-15lbs. The techniques used in suburi vs pole shaking are very different. At the demo Dan achieved the power shaking the pole without shoulders or arms. They were neutral. The power came from Dantien and leg power. I was there watching him do this and actually was the one taking the pictures. A very strong guy could shake the pole but can he do it without his arms or shoulders? Thats some special training. I have tried it at home several times and could only get it to move slightly without arms. Keeping the arms and shoulders neutral and using dantien and legs....thats some power. Dan is coming for a seminar in the UK Aug 15-17. Go and meet him you can see it done in person its REALLY impressive! Plus he is a cool dude too! http://bodyworkseminars.org/seminar-...ions-2014.html

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei