Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
jxa127
2nd kyu test report...

Hi all,

In case anyone is interested, I posted a summary of the 2nd kyu test I took last night in my journal:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journa...est went well!

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 07-30-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: 2nd kyu test report...

Congrats Drew! Missed you this summer at the Itten dojo...maybe next year!

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
jxa127

Thanks, Ron. It feels pretty good. Now just two more tests and I'll get my black belt, and then I can quit.

Just kidding!

I was disappointed to not be able to make the seminar at Itten dojo -- espcially since it was right in my backyard, so to speak.

Did you write up a seminar report like you did when you previously saw John Stevens? I'll have to check your jounal.

Warm regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 07-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Drew Ames wrote:
Hi all,

In case anyone is interested, I posted a summary of the 2nd kyu test I took last night in my journal:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journa...est went well!

Regards,

In regards to your Journal post:

Drew, you are certainly welcome to your own opinions and should feel free to post them as you see fit. However, you should refrain from making personal judgments concerning others in a public forum.

For the record, I am not averse to taking instruction from those younger than me, but I am somewhat resistive to constant critique from those that assume they know more just by the virtue of their rank. As you mentioned, I have studied aikido in the past and did acquire the rank of San Kyu in 1977. Although my technique is very rusty, I still know what good technique feels and looks like as well as what I need to do to make it better.

At this monument I feel as if I should return your favor and critique your performance last night as you felt you had to do with mine. However, that is not my position to do so, nor anyone else's except Sensei's.

By the way, you mention you are trying to warm up to me -- your post is not the way. In addition, I would appreciate if you would keep your opinions about me out of the public forum. If you have any issues, please address them to me in person.

Greg
Old 07-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote:
I have studied aikido in the past and did acquire the rank of San Kyu in 1977
I was born in 1977
Old 07-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
gregstec
United_States

I hope it was not in Guam - if so, we may be related - just kidding -
Old 07-30-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote:
I hope it was not in Guam - if so, we may be related - just kidding -
Dad ?!

hehe
Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
gregstec
United_States

Uh, blood type O+ Uh, I mean, AB negative... You got money? I could always use another tax deduction... :-)

(can't get me because the rabbit done died...)
Old 07-31-2004, 10:06 PM   #9
jxa127

Greg,

I'm sorry if you found my journal entry offensive as it was not meant that way. I honestly thought my comments in the journal entry were pretty mild. I have spoken with you during training when issues have come up, and will continue to do so.

Again, I'm sorry.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 08-01-2004, 05:33 PM   #10
gregstec
United_States

Drew,

Regardless of whether or not your comments were mild, personal criticism of any nature is inappropriate in a public forum. You need to follow the adage: " Praise in public, criticize in private." You apologized for me having found your entry offensive, however, you did not apologize for making it in the first place, which was inappropriate. As I said in my response to your post, I do not have a problem taking instruction from those younger than me, but I do have a problem taking it from those from whom it was not requested. I train at the dojo to take instruction from Sensei and to learn from interaction with Uke. This learning from Uke is usually in the form of a mutual exchange of 'how well the technique' felt and not a one sided unsolicited opinion. Therefore, in the future, please do not feel as if you have to comment every time Nage does a technique, just take it for what it was and move on to the next technique, unless of course, Nage asks you for your opinion.

Your journal post was full of the positives in your test, but you felt you had to focus on the negative in mine. A truer post would have mentioned the couple of techniques you and Rich struggled through as well as. You called my techniques very violent - I do not know here you are getting that impression, except maybe you are confusing effectiveness with violence. I am probably the most non-violent person you will ever meet, but I am effective.

I know you mean well and are just trying to be helpful, but you are not Sensei. As I mentioned before, I obtained the rank of Sankyu many years ago, and although I have been off the mat for a long time, Aikido had been with me mentally for over 25 years and I know what good technique looks like and feels like and I am usually the best judge of what I am doing wrong because of what I feel. If I want to know what you feel or think, I will ask for it - do not feel obligated to just offer it.

Greg Steckel
Old 08-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #11
jxa127

Greg,

You're right that I should not have posted that critism in that manner. I've deleted it from the journal entry and I appologize again.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 08-02-2004, 06:45 AM   #12
gregstec
United_States

Thank You