Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
Naex
"Luck" What is it?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and recently have become fascinated with the philosophy of aikido and its teachings.

I was wondering how many people actually believe in luck? I personally don't believe in luck. I believe that everything happens to happen. There is no such thing as good luck or bad luck. It seems to me that the idea of "luck" has been used more and more often in recent history.

I hope you post your thoughts on this subject. And by the way, I am seventeen years old.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
luck is a tricky word. Many semantics can be attached to it. Some may see luck somewhat like Karma.

I think on a basic level, yes, things do happen. But did it just happen that you started aikido, or was it a series of events that led you there?

I think the odds are in our favor that certain things happen in life based on the little things that we experience in our lives, or even that from that of our ancestors.

It really isn't luck in my opinion that I was born. It was fate that caused it to happen. Is that luck or not???

Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
Erik
I just read a book called "The Luck Factor". The author seemed to be saying that luck is basically a matter of perception, approach, and maximizing opportunity. In other words, the more you try, the more likely you are to have a positive hit. He also seemed to state, and I might agree, that creating a positive approach to life helps you to notice opportunity, whereas, a negative approach causes you to miss certain things.

The book is interesting in that it discusses some of this but it's poorly researched for the most part and the author really isn't clear on what point he is trying to make. He seemed to waffle which I think is due to the fact that he also gives seminars and is probably hoping to make a few bucks off the book.

I've learned to not believe in luck or hot streaks. Percentages do tricky things and random chance very often produces things which seem like luck. I do, however, think that certain approaches to life are more likely to produce better results than others. Maybe, believing you are lucky is one of those but then you wonder how many lucky people lost their fortunes in Vegas and were never heard from again. That's the problem with luck....you only hear from the lucky ones.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
I feel there is a certain flow to life, and one can be in phase (harmony) or out of phase with the general dynamics of life. I do think with a shift of perception, and re-centering of focus one can more quickly restore harmony. But like Erik said, probability has a way of doing funny things and sometimes you just have to ride out the negative streaks.

IMHO, I think this is what Lao Tzu refers to as the Tao.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!