Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2004, 04:09 AM   #51
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
How old do you think I am? I'm the mouthy young un - definately not the crusty old coot with wisdom coming out the ears. I leave that to others - you know who you are.

Respectful behaviour is basically listening to what the other person has to say and you are right it does cut both ways. I also agree that the forums are a debating platform and any pronouncement must face the light of scrutiny. Frankly speaking what set off these threads was not a failure of the young but in my view an incorrect assumption based, if I choose to be generous, unfamiliarity with the media.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #52
AsimHanif
In the East a 16 year old listens to a 60 year old man talk about life.

In the West a 16 year old tells the old man what life is all about.

How pathetically true that is.

Regarding this topic though I have to say that I am a bit conflicted. Working in IT and having a big interest in internet policies and cyberlaw, I am on the side of those who say let technology roam free. Checks and balances will be a natural occurrence. This is all still relatively new frontier. As stated above this little online town of ours makes the rules as we go and banish to pergatory those who violate our laws.

I tend to use these forums as a training tool. Knowing someone out there is waiting to pounce, knowing that there are people out there way smarter than me, with more aikido and life experience, etc., I have to mind my manners even if I am a legend in my own mind:-) So all the tools of "Executive Management" also known as Jedi Mind tricks don't work here. In these waters you have to be sincerely humble as not to get bitten by the sharks.

If it sounds like I'm going on a tangent or trying to be PC let me translate...

BS doesn't work around here.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #53
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Quote:
Asim Hanif (AsimHanif) wrote:
Jedi Mind tricks
"...You don't need to write any more posts"

"We don't need to write any more posts!"

"These aren't the sempai you're looking for"

"These aren't the sempai we're looking for!"

"move along"

"Move along!"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

But seriously, I've been following the posts in this thread for awhile. Good points!

While I mostly engage in political debate on aikiweb, much pixel-space is devoted to issues of respect, and courtesy, in political discussion. Or, as some may put it: "fair fighting." In short, it is OK to "hate the game, not the player," as one post-er put it. Personal attacks only lead to counter-recrimination, and not an exploration of issues.

Many ppl also confuse the goal of discussing politics with trying to "win" someone over, to your side. IMO, this is a waste of time. Since the Iraqi war and all the polarization of issues in this country, I have made a study of why (and where) ppl develop their beliefs. Core values initially arise from the home, or community of upbringing. It doesn't mean that, say, being raised a Catholic means that you are doomed to Catholicism, but it is more likely that your core values will involve issues around redemption, and sin (even if you don't call it that).

Even if you cannot "convert" a person to your position, there is a lot of room for exploring new ways to communicate, no possible without the internet. For example, I once started a thread in aikidojournal called "Protestors and Police: an aiki response." A post-er who works crowd control in Wash, DC during marches wrote a funny and fascinating account of his "day in the life" of a policeman on crowd control. I took his post and re-posted it on an indymedia forum, a website for protestors. The response it elicited ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous. After awhile I posted a link to the indymedia thread in aikidojournal, so everyone else could see the responses.

All this (and more) is possible, via the wonders of the internet. But, the downside of the internet is the ease of miscommunication. It is difficult to gleam emotional tone from a post (even with smilies).

Just a few thoughts: apologies for rambling.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 01-06-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!