Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2002, 04:36 PM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Lightbulb New website

Hi All,

just got a new website that I am trying out. Please give me feedback on how you like it!
...or... what you would change.

the dual schedule thing is a mistake that I haven't figured out how to get rid of yet!

Best,

Rachel

raisinriveraikikai.com
Old 10-04-2002, 05:05 PM   #2
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: New website

Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
just got a new website that I am trying out. Please give me feedback on how you like it!

...or... what you would change.

the dual schedule thing is a mistake that I haven't figured out how to get rid of yet!
http://www.raisinriveraikikai.com/

Hi Rachel,

Glad to see you finally got somewhere sorted out to train. Your website has a few rough edges but nothing you wont iron out soon enough I'm sure, its heart seems to be in the right place though.

Best of luck with the new dojo.

Sean

x
Old 10-04-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
rachmass
Thanks Sean,

I am continuing to work on it! What do you recommend to smooth out the rough edges?

Appreciate your feedback!

Rachel
Old 10-04-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Quote:
Thanks Sean,

I am continuing to work on it! What do you recommend to smooth out the rough edges?

Appreciate your feedback!

Rachel
Different colors!!! (jeez.. hard on the eyes) Anchor the frames so the mouse overs do not widen the frame and then shrink it back down.. Maybe set the borderwidth to 0... use a true type font...

Just a few.. cheers!

Eric
Old 10-04-2002, 06:53 PM   #5
rachmass
what is a true type font? (I'm a neophyte)
Old 10-04-2002, 07:44 PM   #6
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Quote:
what is a true type font? (I'm a neophyte)
http://www.fonts.com/fontent/fontent...S9&con=verdana

Good explanation.. summing it up, it's a font that is easily readable by humans and web browsers without having to down addons. Verdana is most common.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 10-04-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
rachmass
Thank you Eric,

I tried the first page in Verdana like you suggested. I checked my fonts, and they all say TTF after them, which I thought meant true type font. The majority of the website was done in Papayrus, which looks really cool on my computer, but looks awful when I pull it up on my husbands! I also got rid of the expanded rollover (which I thought was cool, but maybe was the only one). Still like the colors though, although I am muting them down a bit.

Any other suggestions, please send them my way, and you can also email me at:

rachmass@provide.net

so as not to clog up the forums here with technical gobblydygook.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:07 PM   #8
johnkeya
Dojo: AAA/Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
Hi, I popped over to your site and I really liked it! It is very clean and has a real aikido vibe to it. If I had to choose something I would change......I think it would make the site seem "cleaner" if the navigation bar was uniform throughout. I like how it is set up on the "links" page the best. I also found it kind of weird how the links "shrink" and the paragraphs move about when moused over on the "about the club" page .

Really great job!

I do whatever the Rice Krispies
tell me to do....
Old 10-04-2002, 08:57 PM   #9
rachmass
Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to work with the navigation bars to make them more uniform, and also check out the club page thing.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Best,

Rachel
Old 10-05-2002, 05:34 AM   #10
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Hello,

Always good to see sombody working on an aikido webpage. Keep up the good work.

Here some feedback/naging:

1) the page doesnt look that nice in an opera browser, maybe wise to test it in different browsers at home.

2) Some page dont seem to have a background color, most people have white as a standard backgroundcolor in there browser, but not all.

3) I strained my eyes on some of the creative combinations of colors.

4) I dont see any contact information on the page. Some people might be interested to send a e-mail or place a phonecall before they come and visit/join.

5) At least give credit to whom credit is due if you use other peoples text or images. Better to get permission or only use your own material.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 10-05-2002, 12:37 PM   #11
johnkeya
Dojo: AAA/Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
Hi again.....looks like you are using the built in navigation feature for the left navigation bar? If not....

FrontPage can actually take care of it for you. Go to Insert->Navigation... and follow the prompts. You can choose what it looks like, where it is displayed (left side or top) and what links are included. Then every page will display the navigation bar (you can set it not to appear on individual pages) and automatically include the proper links. Which means when you add pages or change stuff around it will automatically update. Might take a while to figure out but I think once you do it will make things a lot easier..

Or......you could design the navigation bar as its own webpage (giving you much more freedom of what it looks like) and then insert a frame on the left side of each page that displays this "navigation page"...

Take care.

I do whatever the Rice Krispies
tell me to do....
Old 10-16-2002, 08:46 PM   #12
mic
Dojo: Aiki Kunren Dojo
Hi Rachel,

Cool site! I like it. Very elegant.

By the way thanks for the positive comment on mine.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:13 PM   #13
virginia_kyu
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
It looks like the rollover effects are achieved through using cascading style sheets. I am not sure how frontpage implements it here but you need to make the font-size and style the same for rollovers. The font changes to italic and changes size as well for many of your links when you mouseover them. This makes the whole page shift at times. The only thing that should change when you hover over the link is the color.

You also should keep the font and font size consistant throughout the entire site with the menus.

Otherwise I like the colors and the general design and I think it works well.

If you are having problems I would be happy to help hand code some of the pages to help work out some of the bugs.

PS: I also noticed that you have no meta tags for a description and keywords for your site for submitting to search engines. If you want people to be able to find you on the web you need to be listed. I will help you with that as well if you wish.

Last edited by virginia_kyu : 10-16-2002 at 09:22 PM.

-- Michael Neal
-- http://www.theaikidolink.dnsdyn.net/
Old 10-16-2002, 09:33 PM   #14
virginia_kyu
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Actually please email me at michael@mywebdimension.com, I saw your logo on one of the pages and it looks awesome. I am wondering why you don't use that on your main page.

If you want to keep the font style for your menu links I can just make them images and your problem will be solved. That way your site will look identical on all major browsers.

Again, I would be happy to help a fellow Aikidoist in need so let me know and I will give your site a quick makeover.

-- Michael Neal
-- http://www.theaikidolink.dnsdyn.net/
Old 11-12-2002, 02:42 PM   #15
Juan

Dojo: AIKIDO CENTER OF MIAMI
Very nice, I know it's not easy so try to do your best and keep it up to date. Best of luck with your dojo.

In sincere Aiki spirit

Juan Alberto
Old 11-12-2002, 03:07 PM   #16
rachmass
Thanks Juan!