Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Australia
A little history ?

Hi, Can anyone point me to a thread discussing the history of Aikido post O'Sensai. The different schools evolutions and teachers?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
dps

Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Michael Wilson wrote: View Post
Hi, Can anyone point me to a thread discussing the history of Aikido post O'Sensai. The different schools evolutions and teachers?

Thanks.

Last edited by dps : 12-07-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
dps

Just kidding.

Start with this one and read all eighteen of them.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ight=Emulation

dps
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Just kidding.

dps
Have to hand it to Peter he is one hell of a lecturer......
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Here is a quick summary printed by the Aikido Journal -
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=29
Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
ravenest
Australia

Thankyou
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
ravenest
Australia

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Just kidding.

dps
Wow! What a read - I am greatly enjoying this. But I am confused by the numbers of the articles. They dont seem sequential ... are some of them missing ?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Wow! What a read - I am greatly enjoying this. But I am confused by the numbers of the articles. They dont seem sequential ... are some of them missing ?
Hello Michael,

Well, I have a plan, somewhere in my head, but it keeps being modified because interesting topics keep coming up. Broadly, the articles that have the sub-title 'Interlude' are not intended to be part of a strict historical series, but discussions of related topics. Column 19 will deal with the question of the extent to which aikido is essentially a 'Japanese' art. This question also relates indirectly to prewar and postwar thinking.

The stricter historical sequence will continue with a discussion about Kisshomaru Ueshiba.

I should add that the articles are works-in-progress for a future book, or books.

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
akiy

Hi Michael,

You also might want to try using the following link to access all of Peter's columns:

http://bit.ly/AikiWeb_TIE

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
ravenest
Australia
Thumbs up Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Michael,

Well, I have a plan, somewhere in my head, but it keeps being modified because interesting topics keep coming up. Broadly, the articles that have the sub-title 'Interlude' are not intended to be part of a strict historical series, but discussions of related topics. Column 19 will deal with the question of the extent to which aikido is essentially a 'Japanese' art. This question also relates indirectly to prewar and postwar thinking.

The stricter historical sequence will continue with a discussion about Kisshomaru Ueshiba.

I should add that the articles are works-in-progress for a future book, or books.

PAG
Hi peter, Thanks HEAPS for all this! (Since I dont have a ho,e computer (or internet or electricity) I print these out at the library and take them home to read. Which is great as I havent been able to find much of interest to read lately.

I am looking forward to discussion about Kisshomaru Ueshiba. The book sounds great. At least now I know why i often get such a strange response to some of the questions I have asked teachers
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
ravenest
Australia

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi Michael,

You also might want to try using the following link to access all of Peter's columns:

http://bit.ly/AikiWeb_TIE

Hope that helps,

-- Jun
Yes it does, a great help, thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Hi peter, Thanks HEAPS for all this! (Since I dont have a ho,e computer (or internet or electricity) I print these out at the library and take them home to read. Which is great as I havent been able to find much of interest to read lately.
Be sure to include the source when you print it out. And do not reproduce. Or is printing a form of copyright violation? Or... Oh, I don't know. Just enjoy as I did!! That's a great series worth buying when the book-to-be hits the market!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Alejandro,

I think the only copyright involved is what Jun claims for this website. I believe that Stan Pranin states somewhere that he holds the copyright to whatever articles are published on his websites.

Since the columns are really a work-in-progress, I do not mind them being printed, studied and used. The feedback I have been receiving so far is very valuable, which is why I think publishing the columns this way is preferable to writing the whole set of columns and then publishing them as a book or books.

One of the reasons why I do not mind about copyright is that the series is quite revisionist in aim (I explain more precisely what I mean in Column 21). Actually, there is still so much that needs to be set right about the history of aikido. Stan Pranin was THE pioneer, but I believe he concerned himself much more with the place of Daito-ryu in prewar aiki-(bu)do than with postwar developments in the Aikikai.

In addition, far more research needs to be done about placing Morihei Ueshiba in his contemporary historical context (warts, projections through shoji screens and all). To my mind there are still uncomfortably many aikido students who read O Sensei in dubious translations and then proclaim that I MYSELF think that this or that IS what O Sensei REALLY meant. Internet discussion forums are the favored place for such proclamations. Ai - ki and breathing deeply, ai - ki and love, ai - ki and western moral concepts are especially tempting and dangerous white-rabbit holes.

Portraying Morihei Ueshiba / Kisshomaru Ueshiba / Moriteru Ueshiba as aikido saints needs to be very firmly grounded in portraying them as aikido men, which is what these columns aim to achieve.

As for the books, well, it has taken me nearly four years to get to Column 18 and there are 32 more columns to go...

All good wishes for 2011

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-21-2010 at 05:34 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
ravenest
Australia

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Be sure to include the source when you print it out. And do not reproduce. Or is printing a form of copyright violation? Or... Oh, I don't know. Just enjoy as I did!! That's a great series worth buying when the book-to-be hits the market!
Copyrite violation???!! Good Lord, I just wanted to read them Little did I know I was potentially committing a criminal act.
I have nearly finished the articles (not the posts following, I guess they are rather interesting as well.

The next sections promise to be v.interesting.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
dps

bump