Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
ryen66
Dojo: Indianapolis Aikikai
United_States
Breakfall injury?

I have just started training again at Indianapolis Aikikai after about 15 years off! My first class went well (although I realized how uncoordinated I am) and I did breakfalls just fine.

At class yesterday I was warming up and I did mae ukemi and as I was coming out of the roll I felt a surge of pain. I got up and felt as if I'd torn something in my lower abdomen. I don't know the "medical" term for the area but it's under the abdomen and just above the, err... package area, lol.

I have never injured anything in that area before so I have no experience from which to draw from. I've strained abdomenal muscles but they didn't seem to carry the same amount of pain.

I have serious issues going from a prone to standing position and vice versa and although the pain has reduced a bit after 24 hours it's still very present and there is no way I could possibly train in this position. It's funny how you don't realize just how much a certain muscle group contributes to your everyday movement until you injury it!

I was interested to know whether or not anyone has experienced an injury like this during mae ukemi and how it turned out.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Breakfall injury?

See a doctor. You might have the beginnings of a hernia.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 08-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Ryan Stevens wrote:
It's funny how you don't realize just how much a certain muscle group contributes to your everyday movement until you injury it!
I once pulled a stomach muscle in the center of my torso, right where the ribs part at the base of the sternum. I pulled it sneezing Apparently you can't move your toes or raise your eyebrows without using that stupid muscle.

Bronson

edit: I agree with Greg. Sharp, sudden pains are usually bad. See a Doctor.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States

Ouch, UGH- i have a abdominal hernia- it's just ugly not especially painfull.
But sounds like you describe an inguinal hernia. Usually the dr recomends you try wearing a truss. It's like a jock- sort-of.
If it fails to fix itself surgical repair is the usual option. If you don't fix it one way or the other, you can have a very painful situatation(and life threatening) stangulatation of your lower gi tract.
As the bard said it: " hie thee hence to thy churgeon"
Hope your situatation is just a bruise and not a torn or herniated muscle group.
By the way, a testicular torsion can mimic an inguinal hernia - best see your physician, ASAP.
Kindest regards,
Bruce
Old 08-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
amberlee
United_States

That sounds painful I think you should go see a doctor. I walked around (well limped) for a month with a cracked kneecap for a month before seeing a doctor.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:00 AM   #6
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Had the same thing about 8 years ago. Ignored it for a few days thinking it was a muscle strain. Rushed into A & E with a twisted intestine! and needed emergency surgery.

Get it checked out NOW!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Get ye to the doctor now. Do not train. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

You may have a hernia. You have torn an ab muscle. You may have pulled some facia.

Get it checked out as soon as possible. My experience ( and I have some) suggests most injuries do not just go away by themselves, self diagnosis is useless, and reinjury takes a lot longer to heal.

Thus endeth the serman.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-18-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
ryen66
Dojo: Indianapolis Aikikai
United_States

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going to the doctor and it was apparently a severe strain. Despite his diagnosis I was convinced I had a hernia but after taking it easy for the last week and not attneding any classes I feel fine and the pain is all but gone. I'm going to avoid rolling breakfalls for the next week or so to be sure though!

It's amazing how training again makes me realize I'm getting older. I used to be able a great deal of agility and it has all seemed to have disappeared.