Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-06-2002, 10:23 PM   #1
isshinryu88
Styles of Jo

I just had my first Jo class today. Very interesting and quite different from my experiences with the bo. Are the Jo techniques from any particular style of Jo? If not, are they similar to any particular style? Thanks.

Dave
Old 07-07-2002, 05:41 AM   #2
jaemin
Dojo: Korea Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Jo training varies from senseis to senseis. Many teachers adopt Saito sensei's Jo katas, however some other senseis teach his/her unique katas.

Jaemin
Old 07-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #3
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Talking

I was in the humor section and I looked at one of the post about one person messing up on jo kata and I said to myself, "I haven't done much jo work" then I get here and Style of jo first thread! wow speak of the devil!

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 07-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
The origin of the jo is credited to Muso Gonnosuke Katsuyoshi. You can read a brief history here (or do a search for him on the web to find more of the same).

http://jodo.web-dojo.com/history.html

A number of sites (including the one above)maintain that there is still only one style of jojutsu taught today, and that is Shindo Muso Ryu. I don`t have any knowledge regarding O Sensei`s Jo and / or Saito Sensei`s Jo, to be able to comment on whether they are the same or derived from Shindo Muso Ryu.

I only know that when I took a couple of Jo lessons at the Seibukan in Kobe a couple of years back, they taught Shindo Muso ryu, see here for more info.

http://www2.gol.com/users/pkohl/seibukan/jodo.html

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-08-2002, 10:11 PM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by batemanb
I don`t have any knowledge regarding O Sensei`s Jo and / or Saito Sensei`s Jo, to be able to comment on whether they are the same or derived from Shindo Muso Ryu.
Personally, I don't think Saito sensei's jo has much, if any, grounding in Shindo Muso Ryu jodo. As Stan Pranin said in his interview, the founder really didn't have a whole lot of weapons experience outside of juken (bayonet) in the military.

From my (limited) experience, too, they're quite different. Shindo Musu Ryu jodo, inasmuch as I've experienced it (very little), in its kihon has things different from Saito sensei's aikijo. For example, the basic kamae after strike has the hips square; the hand slides along the length of the jo during a shomenuchi; and, the general "demeanor" taken by the person with a jo is quite aggressive.

I believe Shoji Nishio sensei has some experience in jodo.

Anyone here with more experience with Saito sensei's aikijo and Shindo Muso Ryu jodo?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Tony Peters
Dojo: Mt Tantalus, Kaimuki Judo club
Is that an invitation???

I've trained in Saito Sensei's jo/ken style for a year and have for the past 3 years trained when I could (work makes me travel... a lot) in SMR Jodo. They are nothing alike. It was my love of the Jo that lead me away from Aikido and into SMR. Without seeming arrogant I'll try to explain the basic difference. The Aikiweapon techniques are for the most part based on the Taijutsu (hand arts) of aikido. SMR Jodo on the other hand is more closely based on the sword...at least thats how I see it at this point however I am a long long way from becoming anything other than a student of SMR. As Jun said Jodo is much more aggressive. And as he said the jo slides in the hands for the strikes and the tsuki are very very different. The over all feel is different and there is a world of difference between hamni and kamae.

Peace
Tony
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
That's what makes my Thumper go
Old 07-15-2002, 02:30 PM   #7
YES
Does anyone know where to find a good description and/or drawings of the 22 Jo kata movements ?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #8
The Wrenster
Jo kata

hey. a good book in general for the technical side of aikido is 'aikido and the dyanmic sphere' this has very good illustrations for most of the basic techniquis, and good descriptions. the 22 jo kata thing is ok, but if you have been shown by your sensei, it will make a lot more sense.
Hope this helps,
The Wrenster

When you decide to cause harm, you are breaking the harmony of the Universe, and thus you are already defeated.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:37 PM   #9
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
akiy wrote:
Anyone here with more experience with Saito sensei's aikijo and Shindo Muso Ryu jodo?
Hi Jun,

I don't have a lot of experience with SMR, but I've done Saito Sensei's aiki jo for years. I've also spoken with active SMR practicioners about the subject and done other, rather extensive, research.

My take is that SMR and aiki-jo have nothing in common that isn't conincidental from there only being so many ways a body and/or jo will move.

Some of the aiki jo movements seem like jukendo while others are quite obviously analogs of similar aiki ken movements.

The jukendo-ish movements might have been influenced by the bayonet drill the Founder learned during his time in the military. The Japanese bayonet drill of that period has its roots in the French military. The Japanese military adapted it, however, based on their unique experiences.

The aiki ken-ish movements probably derive from the Founder's study of the Kashima Shinto Ryu sword during the Iwama period.

Other than that, no one really knows for sure where aiki jo came from. What we do know is that the Founder was a master of "stealing" technique and that all his aikido was expressed in a highly personal way.

One little thing: I take some issue with the statements about the relative lack of aggression in aiki jo. I think that's up to each individual's practice. It may be that most out there practice aiki jo in a more passive way. That's not my way, however. I do my absolute best to dictate (in my taijutsu also). I practice sen-sen-no-sen mostly, but if I do go-no-sen, it's because that's what I choose; i.e., I'm dictating my that partner come to me.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Greg Jennings : 08-17-2002 at 06:07 PM.

Greg Jennings
Old 07-30-2002, 06:32 AM   #10
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Thumbs down SUIO RYU'S JO

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Hi Jun,

My take is that SMR and aiki-jo have nothing in common that isn't conincidental from there only being so many ways a body and/or jo will move.

Best Regards,
KAMI : I agree, including with the part about Aikijo mixing of jukendo and Aikiken.

Also, SMR is not the only one that practices Jo. Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu and, specially, Suio Ryu has excelent Jo techniques of their own. Suio Ryu is, if possible, even more agressive (not necessarily better) than SMR.

Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 08-17-2002, 03:54 PM   #11
David Worsley
Dojo: Plymouth School of Aikido
Dear Y S,

We have in our syllabus pack the line drawings for three jo katas at present. A 13, 22 and 31 move. They are done in the style of Dynamic Sphere drawings would they be any good?

If so we need an address.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
Brian Stokes
United_States
Re: Styles of Jo

Hi All,

Just noticed this post. If anyone has an interest in the jo of the Suio Ryu there will be a workshop in January in San Diego. For more information please visit www.suioryu-bu-rai-an-dojo.org and click on the 2007 Martin Luther King weekend workshop link.

Thanks!

Brian Stokes