Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
lbb
United_States
Re: Wrist Exercises

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote: View Post
I don't think the wrist warmup exercises really do that much.
"Do that much" in terms of what, exactly? I've had beaucoup wrist and hand injuries, and I think they're great.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #27
Janet Rosen

Any time my husband or any coworker complains of beginning to get computer related wrist discomfort I teach them and lead them through our wrist exercises and they are 100% effective 100% of the time if started right away.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Janet, they teach those exercises in many ergonomic classes.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #29
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands

I do the excercises regularly and found I dont suffer from any of the silly hand injuries a lot of my collegues do.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Erik Jurrien Menzel wrote: View Post
I do the excercises regularly and found I dont suffer from any of the silly hand injuries a lot of my collegues do.
Same here -- they seem to help a lot with repetitive strain from typing/mousing, and also they helped me a lot in the past in getting over cranky old injuries (none of them aikido injuries).
Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #31
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Strengthening your grip will also have a great effect on the strength of your wrist. I just showed a bunch of grip exercises on my site last week:

http://www.aikidostudent.com/content/?cat=11

I don't work on strengthening my wrist so much anymore. Grip strength is harder to develop and benefits wrist strength greatly.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #32
Walter Martindale
Canada

The powerball - I've finally seen one of these. They seem pretty good and can train some coordination, too.

I've answered similar threads with this in the past. It's a REALLY old fashioned "western" exercise: wrist roll-ups. A stick, a bit of rope, and about 5 - 10 lb (2-5 kg, approx). Tie the rope to the weight, drill a hole through the stick (heavy dowel, bit of broken ice-hockey stick, or the handle end of a brokken bokken 8-), for example), pass the rope through the stick and tie it off so it can't fall back through. Make the rope long enough to reach the ground from your shoulder or chest height.

Roll the stick with your hands out in front of you until the weight is at the stick, roll it all the way back down and then up the other way. Repeat as long as you can. It's not jo suburi or bokken suburi but it will make your forearm muscles and associated connective tissue stronger.

Then STRETCH. Wait a while Stretch again.
Stretch on the days off between, too.

Don't worry about losing flexibility when you get bigger muscles - keep working on flexibility... Male olympic gymnastics competitors are very muscular and also very flexible - you need to work on the flexibility just as much on the strength.
Try it - you'll hate it.
Walter
Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
mo30dc
United Kingdom
Thumbs up Re: Wrist Exercises

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote: View Post
In class we practiced a few wrist exercises prior to starting throwing and other techniques. I assume such wrist exercises are standard in an aikido cirriculum.

My question is, are there any other recommended wrist exercises, ones not done in an aikido class, that people practice that they've found useful?

Justin
hi justin, as i mentioned in my other reply, there are plenty of non aikido based drills you can do to strengthen you wrist including kettlebell and gripstik drills.

just make sure you warm up properly before using any of the above mentioned tools, espcially kettlebells as they are not for the faint hearted!

a good way to warm up is by wraping some light elastic around your wrists and then rotating them clockwise and anti-clockwise for a few seconds. when you then remove the elastic, the blood flow is restored quickly to the wrists and hands and should suffice as a good warm up.

By the way, if your still looking for the article on how to get started in wrist exercises, its been moved to http://www.wristexercisesblog.com

good luck