Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #26
Thomas Campbell
Re: Dan Harden Workshop Nov 6 & 7 Santa Ana, CA

Anyone interested in the Santa Ana workshop should contact Dan (homeoffice@charter.net). Due to cancellations, there are three spaces currently available.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
Anyone interested in the Santa Ana workshop should contact Dan (homeoffice@charter.net). Due to cancellations, there are three spaces currently available.
The spaces have been filled and the workshop is again full.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #28
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Folks,

A rumor's floating around that I will not be there. On the contrary.... I will be attending and bringing my application and money with me. I have been super busy with a new gig so I am sorry for my lack of communication.

Thomas let me know if I am still invited.

William Hazen
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
MM
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Folks,

A rumor's floating around that I will not be there. On the contrary.... I will be attending and bringing my application and money with me. I have been super busy with a new gig so I am sorry for my lack of communication.

Thomas let me know if I am still invited.

William Hazen
Hey,
Good to hear from you! I lost your number and have yet to find it. Glad to hear you can make it. I'll verify with Dan but I don't see a problem.

Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #30
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu

I'm really looking forward to meeting folks. See ya'll soon.

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club
Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #31
MM
United_States

Quote:
Jeremy Hulley wrote: View Post
I'm really looking forward to meeting folks. See ya'll soon.
Yeah, same here.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #32
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Jer,

Don't let Dan hit you if you can help it

See you soon !

Howie
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #33
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote:
I will be attending and bringing my application and money with me.
Humph.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #34
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
Humph.
Don't know what this is about...If you have something personal to share with me feel free to PM me.

William Hazen
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #35
MM
United_States

To clarify, William, you've been on the list since the beginning. It was always assumed you would be there. There were at least six people who were turned down because the list became full (rather quickly) and Dan wanted to keep the numbers small so that he could get more hands-on time with everyone so that those attending would get a better chance of retaining what was learned and shown. If there is enough interest generated, he would return for another.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
Aikibu
United_States

Thanks Mark.

It's an honor.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #37
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

You are going to have fun. I was really hoping I'd be able to make it out there, but the timing just wasn't right. -Rob
Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #38
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

How did it go?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #39
Aikibu
United_States

Hopefully it went very well. I did not attend.

My Bad. I just assumed since I was invited ( I was super duper busy with work so I must have missed the deadline announcement) that I would be able to show up with my money and application. It got very confusing there for a little bit but apparently I did not get my application in "on time" and my spot was given to someone else.

There were some PM's back and forth saying not to worry about it but the last PM I got asked me not to attend as the seminar was "full"

Bummer for me. I emailed Dan and hopefully I will get the next one.

William Hazen
Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
Gary David

United_States

It went very well. Dan is an excellent teacher, presented a structured and progressive approach to getting an idea of what was involved. Dan left us with a number of solo and paired exercises that with practice over time will give us a foot in the door. With the exception of a couple of Saturday only folks everyone stayed until the end on Sunday. Several of Dan's students, Mark, Tom and Leon, were there to provide assistance which was helpful. I can't speak for the rest of the attendees, but It didn't seem that anyone was disappointed. On a personal note I found Dan to be a gentleman while injecting an east coast sense of humor through the two days. Dan made it clear that we were all on the same road and needed to travel it together. As for Howard's advice......there were a few who didn't take it.........
Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #41
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

you mean about the hitting ??? Ouch man...

As far as humor.....
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #42
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
As for Howard's advice......there were a few who didn't take it.........
Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
you mean about the hitting ??? Ouch man...
I'm not so sure I would agree with this since Dan was clearly pulling the hits and left plenty of juice in the bag. While one or two did take a modest shot or two the really interesting part about it was the way the hits only resulted in Dan being ready to let out a few more - no windup to speak of and no 'release' to have to recover from.

I took a weenie little shot to the chest (weenie in terms of the 'effort' Dan put into it) and it was pretty danged solid ... I would not want to receive a 1/2 power punch - forget about a full power shot with evil intent driving it

I got exactly what I wanted out of the seminar - a set of solo and paired drills along with a reasonably cogent explanation of what to do and how to do it.

I'll be going to another of Dans seminar when he comes back around this way and I heartily recommend others get some hands on time as well.

I don't know the whole story but basically Dan has been pressured to get out and share what he does because it is pretty nifty. That someone could put that kind of pressure on Dan surely means alcoholic beverages were involved (FYI-that's a joke). I think Dan has done an admirable job of putting together a seminar friendly syllabus. Be sure to take notes because after the first day your brain will be too full to comprehend.

I could go into the aspects and impressions I had that could be classified as negative comments but I don't see the point (besides I'd rather go over that with Dan). If one does not want to go see Dan I'm not going to be able to convince you and if you do want to see Dan nothing I'd say would dissuade. Fence sitters ... keep sitting because the drills are too much exertion for sitting around on a fence and you don't want to get all sweaty.

For now my new goal is to train my fanny off until I can kick Dans butt (with appropriate amounts of loving intent). I don't think he is going to be losing any sleep over that ... for now.

A good bunch of folks who only wanted to help us get better. What's the best way to say thanks for that? Train your tail off so next time Dan won't point and say 'fail'.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #43
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

What they said — two times.

Really, nothing more needs to be said beyond that which was promised was delivered. I am positive that everyone learned something and enjoyed the company. I did.

Hats off to Gary and the other local folks who made another great training opportunity possible in Orange County.

Personally, I was thrilled to finally meet the famous Dan Harden who's maddening and illuminating posts I have been reading and enjoying for many years. He is a great example of what a combination of good information, perseverance and hard work can produce.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #44
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Personally, I was thrilled to finally meet the famous Dan Harden who's maddening and illuminating posts I have been reading and enjoying for many years.
Unlike that Walker dude who looks different every time I see him. I swear he was 2 inches shorter this time... All that down power must be affecting his build...

Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #45
Keith Larman
United_States

Seriously, what everyone else said. Had fun, learned stuff, lots to do.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #46
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Seriously, what everyone else said. Had fun, learned stuff, lots to do.
the important thing, did you get the T-shirt to show for it?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #47
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
the important thing, did you get the T-shirt to show for it?
There was swag? No one ever gives me a goodie bag...

Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #48
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
I'm not so sure I would agree with this since Dan was clearly pulling the hits and left plenty of juice in the bag. While one or two did take a modest shot or two the really interesting part about it was the way the hits only resulted in Dan being ready to let out a few more - no windup to speak of and no 'release' to have to recover from.

I took a weenie little shot to the chest (weenie in terms of the 'effort' Dan put into it) and it was pretty danged solid ... I would not want to receive a 1/2 power punch - forget about a full power shot with evil intent driving it
Been there myself a few times - those weenie little shots have a tendency to stay with you for a awhile - no pain or damage, but you do feel where he hit you for a few weeks afterwards I am not going to comment on the true effectiveness of Dan's humor since I am going to see him in a few weeks and he just may make those weenie little shots a little less weenier Also, Dan does do a windup of sorts - you just can't see it because it is internal after all

On a serious note, I want folks to understand that these shots Dan gives are not designed to show how strong he is, but more for him to feel and see how you handle the incoming energy - also, his shots are not damaging in anyway, although with very little added effort they could be - I don't want those that have not met Dan get the wrong impression that Dan is rough and potentialy dangerous to the trainees - he goes to great extremes to keep the training safe and enjoyable for all.

Now for Howard Popkin, I just spent a good part of last Sunday with him and I am still hurting from all those falls

Greg Steckel

Last edited by gregstec : 11-09-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #49
MM
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
A good bunch of folks who only wanted to help us get better.
Hi Rob,

Just wanted to touch on this part of your post. Most of us know that a martial art should be bigger than us (the individual). But because of the way in which some things have been handed down (in both Japanese and Chinese martial arts) - or more specifically have NOT been handed down - the "art" is failing us.

I want to see that changed. When I'm at these things, I want to see everyone there surpass Ueshiba Morihei. I want everyone to have the ability to surpass Takeda, Chen Fake, etc. I want the art to be what it should -- the shining example of the best of all of us.

I would love to see hundreds of Takedas, Sagawas, Ueshibas, Kodos, Chen Fakes, etc popping up all over the world showing that the art is still bigger than us. Seeing those people pushing the boundaries of what we can accomplish and going beyond those Giants of the Martial Art World.

The only way I see that chance is to get out there and help each other. To help us be better than ourselves and push each other beyond what we thought possible, what we had never envisioned; to change "I didn't know that I didn't know" into knowledge and training.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #50
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Been there myself a few times - those weenie little shots have a tendency to stay with you for a awhile - no pain or damage, but you do feel where he hit you for a few weeks afterwards ...snip...

On a serious note, I want folks to understand that these shots Dan gives are not designed to show how strong he is, but more for him to feel and see how you handle the incoming energy - also, his shots are not damaging in anyway, although with very little added effort they could be - I don't want those that have not met Dan get the wrong impression that Dan is rough and potentialy dangerous to the trainees - he goes to great extremes to keep the training safe and enjoyable for all.
I would like to caution here. When you say, "his shots are not damaging in anyway, although with very little added effort they could be", I'll play devil's advocate to that. While Dan does try to keep everyone safe, if you are not prepared to dissipate the flavor of force he is putting out, there are no guarantees. People can get hurt. Let's not give the impression that this is a "come one, come all, come feel the legendary Dan-fu strike" carnival event going on. There are always risks involved. As Howard says, don't let Dan hit you if you can help it.

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 11-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.