Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
msorses
United Kingdom
Hakama and Obi tying. . .

Hi there,

Just got back from training and one of the other Yudansha was wearing his obi on the outside of his hakama, is there any formal stance on this? Personally I think it is a good idea as it stops the age old problem of the hakama 'slipping' down - or is there another way to stop this from happening?

Thoughts would be great on this one.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Hakama and Obi tying. . .

Non-traditional I would say but outside of Japan I don't think it matters much. At Okinawa Aikikai, males were expected to wear hakama when they were shodan and females when they were 4th kyu (I think). I don't really care to wear my hakama here in America. I just find it a bother. Everybody tying it in neat little bows and folding it ever so carefully. Haven't worn mine for some time now and it doesn't seem to have had much impact on my aikido. Hakama's are cool though.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Chris Mitchell wrote: View Post
Hi there,

Just got back from training and one of the other Yudansha was wearing his obi on the outside of his hakama, is there any formal stance on this? Personally I think it is a good idea as it stops the age old problem of the hakama 'slipping' down - or is there another way to stop this from happening?

Thoughts would be great on this one.
Serious violation of fashion police guidelines for hakama use in aikido. There are a *couple* ryuha that do this in Japan (all non-aikido), but generally it would be like wearing your superman underoos over your jeans.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Tuck the front part of your hakama behind your obi, then tie it on tight. That works for me, but I do have an extended front hakama (and I put a piece of velcro on the inside to attach it around my obi, but don't tell anyone! The fashion police will take me away.)

e ya later
Jill
Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jill Nielsen wrote: View Post
(and I put a piece of velcro on the inside to attach it around my obi, but don't tell anyone! The fashion police will take me away.)

e ya later
Jill
CHEATER!!!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
msorses
United Kingdom

Ricky - yeah, they are cool and no, they don't make you any better. They are a pain in the butt though when you first have to wear one as there are certain thing we (as men) take for granted: walking up stairs, crouching down etc when catching the hakama under feet! Plus, if you wear your gi bottoms under them it is a bummer if you need to loo quickly

Chris - Fair point, although, I do have a photo of my little monster in his white baby grow with his red swimming trunks worn on the outside, so no matter how ridiculous I look, I have one up on him! Ok, ok, so he isn't even a year old yet!

Jill - I agree, thats cheating haha but I like your style!

Chris
Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
crbateman

Quote:
Jill Nielsen wrote: View Post
...and I put a piece of velcro on the inside to attach it around my obi...
Technology meets Tradition!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I've taken to not wearing my belt at all. The belt makes my Hakama look silly, and it's way more comfortable to not have on.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 AM   #9
msorses
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I've taken to not wearing my belt at all. The belt makes my Hakama look silly, and it's way more comfortable to not have on.
Hi Chris,

Yeah, I know where you are coming from on that one, kinda makes you look a bit excited through the lesson but I have seen people wear their belt in a slightly different configuration with a flat/tape 'knot' to the side (I forget the name as I was never a boy scout and yeah, I know that in some traditional schools, wearing the belt to the side had a significant meaning)

Chris
Old 03-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

I've toyed with the idea of wearing my obi on the outside, but my reason is different. In our dojo, hakama are optional until shodan. Our chief instructor (a long time friend from a previous aiki-jitsu dojo years ago) knew I had a hakama coming into the class, and insisted that I wear it, even though no one under shodan was currently wearing one. Honestly, I feel more comfortable wearing it because of the lower back support it provides and the extra warmth it gives my cantankerous old joints. And from a personal standpoint, when I found out that O-Sensei wanted everyone to wear hakama in his dojo, I wanted to wear it to honor his wishes.

But there's a downside. Where I'm the only kohai wearing one, and where my obi is buried beneath the miles of himo that Bujin provides, some new students get confused and think I'm yudansha. Even after they know, for some reason (subliminal) they tend to give me more respect and clout than I deserve at this point in my training.

So I have honestly thought about wearing my white obi on the outside until I reach at least 2nd kyu (all students below 2nd wear white in our class, then brown until shodan) just to cut down on the confusion. I would appreciate any thoughts on this, and any alternatives you might have to offer!

Thanks to all,
Lori
Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
msorses
United Kingdom

Hi Lori,

Interesting! I can understand where you are coming from, I know that most of the clubs/schools I have trained with have only allowed yudansha to wear hakama, but I know that in some, women are allowed to wear them regardless of rank, and in some, all are to wear them! Now looking back into why we wear the hakama it is very interesting, not overly practical but that also depends on the way you look at the reason why we wear them, but interesting all the same! Although not so traditional, I think that if your instructor has insisted that you wear it and you are happy to do so that you you do, although the grading thing may be an issue, again, non-traditional, but if you were to wear your obi on the outside then this would at least allow others training with you to see that you are not yudansha and therefore not pound you into the mat as they may do otherwise (speaking from a 'Yoshinkan' perspective here lol). In my opinion, and so be it if I get slapped on this one, I think you are in an honoured position to wear a hakama at your stage and if all are happy then go ahead and so so. From my personal teaching experience, I would not allow it, maybe because I wouldn't want to break rules, maybe because I wouldn't want and injury caused from confusion, but thats just my own opinion. More importantly, I think you should have some way of letting the other students know you are not yudansha as you could put yourself at risk of injury maybe?

Bottom line, Hakama rule, although they are hard work, I see mileage in the benefit they gave me in re-learning footwork etc.

Chris
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

Quote:
Chris Mitchell wrote: View Post
Hi there,

...one of the other Yudansha was wearing his obi on the outside of his hakama, is there any formal stance on this? ....
The only place I have seen people doing this is in the Hakko Ryu community, but I don't know where or how this got started. I do know it is something that started in Japan and is common among western practitioners.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
msorses
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote: View Post
The only place I have seen people doing this is in the Hakko Ryu community, but I don't know where or how this got started. I do know it is something that started in Japan and is common among western practitioners.
Thanks Jim and everyone else. The replies have given me more information than I was expecting.

Domo arigato gozaimashita!

Chris
Old 04-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
rodrigo1508
Mexico

My sensei use a kaku obi instead of a normal obi underneath the hakama and he says its more comfortable
Old 04-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

This discussion has convinced me that I need to hurry up and get my velcro hakama.

All these belts and ties and stuff are a nuisance. Veclro is the way to go.

Mind you, I couldn't help noticing that my friend - who holds the patent for the velcro hakama - wore a traditional hakama with a belt while he was in Japan.

Still, I'm counting the days...