Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
mkarem2001
differances between school

Can Any One Tell Me The Differances Betwwen Schools In Aikido And Which One Is the Best In Fighting
I`m Beginners
Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: differances between school

Quote:
Mohamad Aly Elsayed wrote: View Post
Can Any One Tell Me The Differances Betwwen Schools In Aikido And Which One Is the Best In Fighting
I`m Beginners
define the parameters for fighting: one against one, one against many, many against one, many against many, armed against unarmed, unarmed against armed, unarmed against unarmed, armed against armed, and any permutation and/or combination thereof. if you can define what you are looking for with those parameters, then folks might be able to help point you in a direction or two and such direction might not even include aikido.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

Joining any martial art will begin a process of education on what the concept of "fighting" actually is. Your mileage will vary.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Basia Halliop
Canada

That's a question you're never going to get a useful answer to on an internet discussion group. The answers you get will be entertaining at best (if you enjoy watching people fight), frustrating at worse (if you were actually hoping to learn something).
Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Krystal Locke
United_States

The school at which you will actually bother to go to class is the one for you.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
miso
United Kingdom

For fighting, assuming a less than 10 year timescale, I would go for one that has some form of regular free practice or (cough) randori so you deal with the chaos of life.

It still might not be any good but any defeat will be less painful.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

The "best" art for learning to "fight," meaning, well, for what I think you mean, is probably the art you actually enjoy spending the time in that you need to take it all in and make it unconscious and instinctive. Unless you like going in day after day, month after month, grinding away while trying to understand why you don't understand, none of them will end up working well.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

John Power gives good advice, and so do the others. In my opinion Aikido is - with a few exceptions - usually not the martial art to pick up if fighting in the street is your purpose. Hapkido, Jiu-jitsu or any of the more freestyling striking arts may get you there faster (newer karate styles, tae kwon do or Kung Fu for example). Or go with MMA / Gracie JJ or boxing. I've also seen some people use Arnis after a a relative short time spend in training.

I'm not saying Aikido is not effective in a fight. It may be - depending on skill level and the way it is being taught, but it is just not very often taught in a way that will enable you to win a bar brawl after 20 easy lessons. However if you are looking for a way to defend yourself with as little damage on the attacker as possible, and are willing to spend the time on the mat fine tuning your reflexes and sensiblity to others, then Aikido is a great journey. It just have very few short cuts.

Actually you will not get really got at bar fights in any Martial art within a short while, so if you are looking for 'effective' then go with a gun. (disclaimer: I am being somewhat ironic to prove a point - I do NOT encourage anybody to buy a gun and carry it around for self defence).

If you heart is set on Aikido check out the dojo's in within reasonable commuting distance and choose the one where you enjoy the practice the most. Based on chemistry with the sensei and the other students not to mention their approach to Aikido. Nothin beats hands on experience.

Good luck

JJF

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

You only have to make some effort for things to begin happening. Effort is something that keeps going. Good luck.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -