Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
Kensai
Means to an end......?

I was just wondering whether ALL the Aikido styles produced Aikido masters that looked the same?

What I mean is that Tohei Sensei and Shioda Sensei trained very differently during most of their lives, but did their Aikido (in demostrations etc) look the same?

Training methods in Ki and Yoshinkan, for example, are very different, but if we got a 3rd Dan from each art and asked them to proform say a Shihonage, Ikkyo and tenchinage would they look all that different?

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 06-26-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
well,... a very difficult question ! ,... ikkyo is ikkyo everywhere,.. but maybe a different style makes the technique look different since there is more emphasis in some aspects in each style.

About doing the same technique by two different style sandans ,.... sometimes I feel that every technique is different it depends of the style, uke, nage, ,…

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 06-27-2003, 02:33 PM   #3
Alfonso
I've been told that at at the top, for all their differences in pedagogical methods, the masters do look very similar.

The terminology though may be different.

I'd have thought someone else might have mentioned, but some schools have really different names (japanese too) for the same techniques. Just look at at a shodokan syllabus..

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 06-27-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
to me they look different only at the basic, when it comes to randori or jiyuwaza they looke pretty much the same.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:47 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, they apply the same principles but often look different in application due to their personality and physical characteristics. So they are both the same and different. If you pay attention to the "means" or principles in training, the end will take care of itself.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-28-2003, 11:22 AM   #6
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
I doesn't matter what style your talking about. At the core there all the same. But because of body size and height, and even strength, people will tailor make the art for them self. A good example is Seagal, he has a very upright style of Aikido. A shorter person that was not as powerful as he is, could not be as effective in Seagal's upright style of Aikido. When your 6'5 you change the art alittle, so it still works well. There is no possible wasy that O'sensei and Seagal could execute techniques exactly the same. And the biggest difference would be body size.

-Chad
Old 06-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
akiy

Quote:
Chad Emerson (C. Emerson) wrote:
A good example is Seagal, he has a very upright style of Aikido. A shorter person that was not as powerful as he is, could not be as effective in Seagal's upright style of Aikido.
Interesting. The most effective people whom I have personally felt in aikido have had pretty much immaculate posture, regardless of whether they were 6'3" or 5'2". I'd posit that the smaller you are, the better your posture better be -- otherwise, all you're doing is relying on muscle power to get things done...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-28-2003, 09:57 PM   #8
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
My sensei was just talking about this last class. We've been doing the basics as taught in a book like Best Aikido, since they're more straightforward, sensei said. At the seminar I recently attended, I got to see a different way to do a standing kokyu-ho, several variations of the ikkyo and nikyo pin (the pin, not the way to get to it), and alternate movements for kote gaeshi.

I think it also has to do with, like said, posture and how you carry yourself off the mat. I'm not going to name names or insult or anything, but there's a guy at our dojo who's kind of stiff in his movements. He has a powerful technique most of the time, but sometimes it feels robotic when I take ukemi.

Also, there's another person generally flops around like a rag doll...and he's constantly throwing himself as nage simply by doing a technique on me. Not saying they can't do it, just that we've all got our own physical and/or mental nuances that either help or get in the way. (Like for me, I analyze myself too much and tend to stop mid-way through and start over...and it's not just an aikido thing...I did that when taking piano, and I do it with math sometimes...)

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.