Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-31-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you've sustained?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 31, 2005:

Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you've sustained?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
rogueenergy
Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States
Re: Poll: Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you've sustained?

Yes. I've had to, but the injuries were from other arts while I was still cross training.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Re: Poll: Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you've sustained?

Probably, but I am not sure whether the temporary personal changes count.

I seperated my right knee about 3 1/2 years ago, so I taught technique which fit my condition (leg brace, couldn't bend the right knee much). I seperated my left knee less than 2 weeks ago, and although I am not strapped up like the last time, I am modifying my Aikido. When it is stronger I will be straight back to how I should be doing it.

Osu!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 AM   #4
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I've worked on aquiring softer ukemi due to being in near constant discomfort from too many hard breakfalls, worked a treat, feel much better these days

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
I've worked on aquiring softer ukemi due to being in near constant discomfort from too many hard breakfalls....)
UKEMI. Me, too.

I always arrive early to take a few laps around the mat so my body is warm, and thus more flexible. I submit that the typical aikido "warm up" isn't a warm up at all. Stretching is insufficient to the needs of the body for pliability and should be done at the end of class, not the beginning.

My injuries have also made me hesitant to really toss folk around for fear of them landing wrong or landing on someone else. This is a problem because I think they'll grow with harder throws--I did, Ikeda used to beat the **** out of us--but I don't really cream folks anymore.

I also consider carefully what I'm doing and not let myself get into that lost place where I'm just unconsciously running at people and encourage others to throw themselves into RANDORI, e.g., with less enthusiasm than they might otherwise do.

Once I've established that a partner can do an effective NIKYO, e.g., I'll go down faster than the technique is actually cranking me in order to reduce stress to affected joints.

Also, I'm unabashed in declining to do certain activities. Going on 20 years training and I still get hurt doing SUTEMI, so I step to the back of the mat when that technique is done, now.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
NagaBaba

Yes, everyone who practices long enough must do it. That's how one learns about his limits; physical limits force you to consider non-physical side of aikido.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

I'm not sure that a particular injury has made me have to train particularly different, but I think that minor injuries and mishaps (and progessive aging!) have made me more conscious of my physical movement, and therefore have influenced my training, and made me more efficent in my movement.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

This is a yes for me. After feeling the pain from accumulated injuries and from seeing people more senior to me having trouble rolling and sometimes even walking, I try to look at everything I do with an old man's eyes. I try to project myself into the future and think what am I doing now that I'll regret in the future. (I wish I had done that when I was young, dumb and in college.) For example, I have been overhauling my tenkan movement after singling it out as a source for my knee trouble. I started doing this about four years ago. I jogged for about 10 minutes a couple of weekends ago and had no knee pain. I couldn't have done that 5 years ago. I am working on taking falls now, which I believe to be the source of my hip pain. I think this is due to many years of being thrown the way Don described and me taking crappy falls.

Side note - When I was at Aikikai honbu in the late 90's, Endo Seishiro Shihan went to stretches at the end of class like Don wrote. Good idea.
Charles
Old 08-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Re: Poll: Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you'v

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
. I submit that the typical aikido "warm up" isn't a warm up at all. Stretching is insufficient to the needs of the body for pliability and should be done at the end of class, not the beginning.
GOOD POINT! "warming up" is literally that, gross movements that elevate muscle temperature. To confuse matters further, I see folks going through large muscle groups range of motion, which IS warming up, and calling it stretching, which it is not.
Adaptations...lessee...knees: I don't even kneel to bow in, no seated technique, no techniques where my partner is loaded on me....
I ask partners to do kotegaishe to my lower forearm because the classic grip is right where my thumbs are painfully chronically subluxed....
My knee adaptations also mean that instead of back rolls I do across-the-shoulders back ukemi, and instead of standing straight up I always roll to a side and come up into horse stance....
And for now w/ a knee flareup, I 'm not really taking rolls/falls often....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

The biggest adaptation actually is going to smaller more economical movements.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #11
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I really like what Charles Hill said about "looking with older eyes". As I get older, (52) I pay more attention to older people watching them out in public, seeing how they walk and move.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:35 AM   #12
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Hi,

yes. Charles is right. train like an old man so you can be one!

oh, notice my icon? hahaha

When I returned to aikido 1 1/2 years ago it was with the intent of letting it guide my healing. Watching people do ukemi on a movie at friend's house brought tears to my eyes.

So - our knees are very tough. Search for knee problems in your groin and lower back. I am releasing muscular bracing around some very painful groin injuries and my knees are becoming powerful again.

In training I find it more gratifying to topple powerful people doing hard attacks with maximum gentleness - then to drive them through the floor with a big kiai. Makes more sense for randori too.

But, I'm just sankyu in aikido. temper your assessment of my opinion.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #13
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

This is a most interesting poll. Yes and No are side by side, walking...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
lewpearson
Dojo: Melbourne Aikikai
United_States

Rotator Cuff surgery....I lot more shoulder stretching....and more cardio work (the more tired...the more likely an injury). Also I do a lot of cable work (cables attached to weights). I've found that cables allow me to range the shoulder in many different positions...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #15
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Agree with warm ups/cool downs needing much more work in aikido. If I ever teach a whole class by myself i will definately do this. Plus, why do so many people insist on using 'stress positions' and banned 'stretches' in their warm ups? Lack of education is rife, if Aikido was a properly governed sport then this wouldnt be a problem. But then again, I imagine if Aikido was a properly governed sport then it wouldnt be much fun

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #16
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Nick,

yeah. if you say 'properly governed' to a Texan, you're asking for a good talking to

david
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #17
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Haha.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #18
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Yes. I've modified it...Now, I shutter everytime I go over.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Re: Poll: Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you'v

I couldn't do rolling up to standing from a back fall if my right foot was forward. After a while this started to really bug me (it looks stupid when you are supposed to be a role model for beginners and you can't do something basic) so I practiced it over and over. After a trip to the doctor for chronic knee pain, I realized that this was a bad approach. Now I very seldom do this as a drill, and when getting up after a throw shamelessly use my hands. And in the hopes of eventually being able to do this without hurting myself, I do situps at the gym.

I still look stupid when working with beginners, but better stupid than hobbled.

Mary Kaye