Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
public profile

I have noticed that most people posting don't write too much in their public profiles. I often look there to see what kind of background people have, especially when I see something that I think is strange in posts. I am wondering what people think about this. Why do you/ don't you fill in your public profiles with more info? I look for what kind of affiliation, names of dojo, length of experience, etc. Why not let everyone know more about you?

Charles Hill
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Roy
Canada
Re: public profile

Because, there are allot of freaks out there
Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

Ask. I personally don't fill out too much because I am a bit lazy and don't ever look at profiles so I just don't coincider it being important to anyone else.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

At least my introduction was a little bit longer.
In the profile it is somewhat difficult to see how much you are wanted to enter. Maybe extra fileds for data like "Aikido start date", grade, other MA history could help to harmonise.

I will have a look and try to improve.

Yes I think if someone calls a public profile, (s)he should find out somewhat, whom (s)he is talking to.

Dirk

P.S. Sometimes you find strange posts like "I am doing traditional aikido, not Aikikai or ASU staff,.." If there is no organisation it is fine, but most aikido styles are traditional in their view. And none of them is really traditional. Stephane Benedetti always talks about "his holy grandmother's aikido", which sounds like traditional Daito Ryu. Anything else is brand new (less than 100 years).
Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 AM   #5
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
I have noticed that most people posting don't write too much in their public profiles. I often look there to see what kind of background people have, especially when I see something that I think is strange in posts. I am wondering what people think about this. Why do you/ don't you fill in your public profiles with more info? I look for what kind of affiliation, names of dojo, length of experience, etc. Why not let everyone know more about you?

Charles Hill
Maybe they are shy? Or maybe some may not be privilaged to be associated with a legit/proper lineage dojo. You know... geographical consideration.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I just checked mine. I do check people's profiles out of curiosity, but you can't judge a iDojo bum but her/his profile.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Keith R Lee
United_States

I'd say ask as well. I don't think anyone would take too much offense at being asked their background. However there are some people who tend to "not want to talk about it" or say it's "not important." When I encounter those I have to admit, I become suspect of the poster. Why not let everyone know where you're coming from? It helps/eases understanding when you know the experience level of people in certain conversations.

Keith Lee
Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
taras
United Kingdom

I find it helpull to look at other posts made by the person in question
Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #9
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Myself, I don't know what a lot of the opinions of my style are--they haven't been spoken. So, I don't want my personal views to reflect directly on my style of Aikido. I particularly do not want to misrepresent the style.

Although, I've stated my style (not in the profile), where you see my style, there's a disclaimer.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

There are some people on these forums whose opinion and thoughts I have learned to respect. I usually take a look at their profiles to see how or perhaps from where these opinions have been formed, shaped or molded.

It's also nice to know where someone is from so that if you are ever traveling in the area you might be able to meet up with them.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

If someone mentions their dojo, where they train, I usually take a look at their profile to see the name of their dojo and where they are from. Then I usually pop over to their dojo site just to get a better idea about who they are -- at least about what their aikido is about and where it comes from. But if its not directly related to their dojo, I usually don't attribute their opinions to their dojo, but just to themselves.

Anne Marie Giri