Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #26
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States
Re: Nice Video...

Hello all. I'm surprised at the varied responses this video has produced.

First of all, I have no idea who this instructor is. Someone on MMA.TV posted that they knew who he was, and that he was actually a very tough guy (that comment was a reaction to about 40 postings clowning the effectiveness of aikido). Apparently, his name is Brian, not Julio Toribio. For those interested in Julio Toribio, more information can be found here:

http://www.seibukanjujutsu.com/seibufounder.html

I can assure you, he is the real deal.

As for the criticisms of it being "poor technique", I would tend to disagree. Perhaps not all techniques were "perfect", but in the spectrum of Aikido I've been exposed to, I thought it was a nice mix of hard and soft. Many of the movements done by the instructor were dynamic, crisp, and well timed. The students training exercises were just that, exercises. Not everything is gold the first time you try it, you know. Ugly, imperfect repetitions have to take place sometime, somewhere. And the weapons work looks like it was also a training exercise, not randori. The video was obviously culled from real training and real practice sessions. I think it should be taken for what it is, and not held to the "highest" standard.

Additionally, much of the real power in grappling arts (Aikido, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling, Sambo, etc), has to be FELT to be appreciated- seeing is not enough. One example is Hakko-Ryu Jujutsu, named after the "invisible" nature of its techniques (School of the Eighth Light, or the infrared spectrum). In BJJ, while it may LOOK like my instructor Roy Harris is simply holding somebody down, what CAN'T be seen is the amount of pressure he applies (enough to crack ribs, which has happened on several occasions). Rickson Gracie has a similar pressure game, which leads some to believe his fights are fixed (particularly against the experienced and formidable Funaki). Seeing is not enough. Feeling is believing.

And, Mr. Janczuk, I would be very interested in seeing an example of your excellent techniques, since you're so quick to criticize. Tell you what, I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

Go to www.royharris.com and click on the Roy Dean footage. This is also a short video culled from training sessions. You can even see me get tapped out by a girl.

I look forward to seeing your technical standard in the near future. I'm sure it's something we would all aspire towards.

Sincerely,

Roy Dean
Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #27
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

That was cool Roy...thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys have a lot of fun

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I think the video was not so much to say "wow, look at me...my technique is perfect", but more about celebrating the joy and brotherhood of aikido.

That is what I saw, and in that respect, he captured the "technique" that is really important about aikido.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #29
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Nicely put Roy, I think you said it better than I did. I tried to watch your footage, but it wouldn't work on my browser for some reason (I do have broadband also). Is there any way you could put it into a downloadable file (like an mpeg or quicktime file)?

Mike

BTW don't be suprised at the responses, in fact, see this thread for even more extreme responses to a video:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6652

Last edited by Michael Young : 02-03-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #30
AsimHanif

First, thank you for the video Roy.
Second, I agree that just because someone has any rank or performed anywhere it validates them. Not everyone who performed at Carnegie Hall was "great" so to speak.
Third, I find it more interesting and disturbing that so many people want to find fault in what was presented instead of focusing on what was good. It reminds me of all those people who like to berate an overmatched fighter but never get into the ring themselves. Who am "I" to hold someone else to my standards? My shit stinks too. I guess I thought aikido was for correcting yourself....
Old 02-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #31
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States

Michael,

I can't seem to access my video either. Strange, it's been working for the past month, and now, it was only up long enough for Bronson to see it. I contacted the webmaster and hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Best,

Roy
Old 02-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #32
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Roy, I saw it and enjoyed as well.......(you also turn a nice phrase)
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #33
NagaBaba

Quote:
Roy Dean wrote:
And, Mr. Janczuk, I would be very interested in seeing an example of your excellent techniques, since you're so quick to criticize.
Sincerely,

Roy Dean
My technique is so excellent, that after watching it more then once, most ppl simply get heart attack. So I can't take a risk of being sued. I never repeat technique twice, just like Him

Also, having done ikkyo more then half a million times, I don't need any *%^@$ feeling to recognize a good technique from BS. With a glance of eye I simply KNOW what is good. I'm like that.
If you can't do it, train more.
Anybody who put his video on internet must have a very tough skin!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #34
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Is this Toribio Sensei? If so, Szczepan is out of line. Toribio Sensei has performed at the Aiki-Expo and I believe is a 5th dan aikikai. He also, if I recall, studies Daito-ryu. I have participated in a seminar training with the Zen Mountain retreat in California. He is very good and his ukemi is outstanding.

The video quality isn't great though.
That is not Julio Toribio Sensei but I am not sure who it actually is...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #35
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

The only thing we know is that his name is Brian and that he probably is an instructor for Katsumi Niikura at one his Ryokukai branches.

I went looking around Katsumi Niikura's site and, like Craig, can find no mention of his Aikido teachers. In fact there are no teachers names or organizations given for ANY of the arts he's studied--Karate, Judo, Ikebana, Iaido, or Aikido.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-04-2005, 05:21 AM   #36
ed3r
Dojo: Sydney Sugao Gakuen Training Centre
Australia

Thanks for the video, i enjoyed it.
since im only new, i liked some of the techniques in which the attacker did not hold back, and was taken down very quickly.
this can show the effectiveness of aikido in life situations, in which the attacker does not know what is going to happen.
ah well anyway sorry for the rambling
nice video, thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #37
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

poor technique, good technique
showing the effectiveness of aikido in life situations. hmmm

the email response from one of my students sort of summed up for me.

"All I know is that I kept saying "Ouch".
And that I couldn't make the connection
between the labels (honor, love, etc) and
the examples that directly followed them' "

pretty rough form for group that fills it's schedule with Ki clinics and classes.
not my cup of tea.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #38
Peter Brown

Dojo: kyu shin kan leicester uk
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Nice Video...

Looking at the video it was clear that everyone enjoyed the experiance, it is very easy to find problems and mistakes in everyones Aikido as a Sensei you can only do your best, I thought that if Taisabaki was added to the techniques, the video would have shown more of the flowing movments in Aikido, I think to perform effective kaishi waza the you must make a mistake in your technique that allows the opening for your partner to strike, kaishi waza is a good learning tool to show poor technique.In the new Taisabaki DVD by Kyu Shin Kan a section demonstates kaishi waza, and also as pointed out by Daran Simms we have a short clip on our web page www.kyushinkan.com
Pete Brown.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #39
Drew Herron

United_States

I liked the video. Poor quality, but good content. It sort of seemed like propaganda though. Maybe Aikido needs more propaganda... Let's start proselytizing. Anyone want to go door to door?

-Drew

PS Anyone know what the music is?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #40
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

My only real gripe was the "reverse 2.5 spin in the pike position" ukemi.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #41
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Drew Herron wrote:
PS Anyone know what the music is?
Nadia by Jeff Beck

Old 02-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #42
Keith R Lee
United_States

The video was pretty good. Yeah, the ukemi was a little over the top, but it was still honest, hard training. *shrug* Looks good to me. I agree with whoever said this earlier, I really liked seeing the sprawl defense against a double-leg. Not enough Aikido folks give that attack due-consideration.

I debated back and forth about putting this online but I figure, whatever. I put this video together last summer, right before my friend's sandan test. This was us training about two weeks prior to the test. I'm the uke throughout the entire video.

It's a big file, close to 22 megs so if you're not on broadband, be patient or tough luck. Sorry.

Here it is.

.mov file so you'll need Quicktime as well.

Keith Lee
Old 02-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #43
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Hey Keith, way to go. I like the "whatever" attitude that allowed you to offer your link here. That's the spirit. I wish more folks would post their video on the Net - especially the talkers and the folks that don't like to let everyone talk. It is so darn easy to do nowadays. Outside of them, or besides them, video helps make people's points - so it takes this forum to a whole other level - a deeper level - a better level. It would be great if there were more one-to-one relationships between what folks are saying and a video that demonstrates that point trying to be made in writing. To do that, I think many more folks are going to have to say, "Whatever!" I also like the way this thread turned away from the direction these kind of threads had so easily followed in the past. So, though it's not my place to say "thank you" to anyone in particular, I do want to say that I'm grateful to see that AikiWeb.com has matured to another level of community.

And most of all - concerning your video - one has to love the music! :-)

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #44
NagaBaba

Quote:
Keith Lee wrote:
I debated back and forth about putting this online but I figure, whatever. I put this video together last summer, right before my friend's sandan test. This was us training about two weeks prior to the test. I'm the uke throughout the entire video.
Now, this video is completly different thing. One can see solid basic.
However, tori, at the end of the throws loose his balance, and not only one time. For sandan level, it shouldn't happen. Other thing is that very often uke is standing in good balance in the middle(like 1-2 seconds), and tori going around him. For sandan level, he should be able to maintain his uke always out of balance. And for me, tori must be in the center of movement not uke,because tori wants to take a center of uke.

Interesting weapons work. For me you guys you go too wide out of line of attack. This way you lose time and create openings. In reality one needs only step out 2-3 cm, certainly not a big step.

And the music

Nagababa

Old 02-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #45
Keith R Lee
United_States

Not really sure who this "tori" fellow is you're talking about. I see a shite and an uke...

As for loosing balance, A) like the textscroll said, we were goofing around. B) No one keeps their balance all the time on every throw, be realistic.

As for me standing still, we're going over some henka waza (read: practice), so I'm just letting him do his thing. Like it said at the end, we weren't going full out or anything.

Glad you guys liked the music. I was thinking people would think it was too aggressive and not aiki-fruity enough.

Keith Lee
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #46
NagaBaba

tori = shite

Nagababa

Old 02-09-2005, 01:20 AM   #47
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
tori = shite

That's not a very nice thing to say, he didn't look too bad to me. I guess it's all in the pronounciation

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 02-09-2005, 01:36 AM   #48
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I liked the video. A great reflection of Budo practice.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #49
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I liked the video, but I'm well aware of the irony that newcomers often feel when we talk about aikido as peace and love etc. and then you see some video of people being slammed on the mat.

My aikido is slightly different, but I thought this was excellent (good timing and posture). Some people are too indoctrinated by their own instructor to belive anything else could possibly be good!

Agreement on common standards? - the aikido that doesn't damage you in training yet protects you in real life; that's the only real measure. Therefore for most of us we never really get that ability to measure our aikido and I think we should be inquisitive yet humble in light of our ancestors who lived in more violent times (1 in 20 men died from violent causes in medieval britain).

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 02-09-2005, 08:21 AM   #50
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

And yoshinkan to the core...I liked it too. One question...I think I noticed one empty hand yoke (block) against the jo...that seemed a little odd to me. Is that what I saw, or was there a tanto or something I didn't notice?

Also, while I agree in principle with some of Mr. S's value judgements (though a bit nitpicky given the situation described), one thing I think is perhaps a stylistic difference, is that I believe I have seen high level yoshinkan instructors both move uke around them, and move themselves around uke, depending on the circumstances. Could some of the more experienced yoshinkan folks weigh in on this one? I'd be very interested in what Peter Goldsbury has to say on that as well. Just to be clear, I'm refering to:

Quote:
And for me, tori must be in the center of movement not uke,because tori wants to take a center of uke.
Thanks for stepping up and posting that!
Best,
Ron

Good job,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)