Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Casey Martinson
Dojo: Meishinkan Dojo/Lehigh Acres
Aikido Ithaca NY?

Is there anyone who can provide me with current information about Finger Lakes Aikido, Cornell Aikido Club, or any other dojo within an hour drive of Ithaca, NY? I plan to be visiting Ithaca sometime in the next few weeks for a job interview. I would love to see what dojos in that area are offering. If you train in one of these dojos, could you please tell me when classes are offered? Any other relavant information you'd like to share is welcome also.
Domo arigato gozaimasu.
Casey Martinson
Old 02-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Aikido Ithaca NY?

Casey,
Since no one else has answered...

I used to travel to the area on business. I've trained a couple of times at both clubs. I was treated well and had great training.

Larry Bieri is an excellent teacher with a long and interesting history in aikido. You should take every opportunity to train with him.

And if they ask you out for beer afterwards, take *that* opportunity too!

FWIW,

Greg Jennings
Old 02-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Noel

Casey-

I've worked out with the Cornell folks at seminars a couple times. They are a very good bunch. If you drive fast, you can get up to Syracuse inside an hour, and Aikido of Central NY is another fun place. Rochester is closer to an hour-and-a-half away, so ... We do love to get visitors on the mat, though.

My cent-and-a-half,
-Noel
Old 02-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
Is there anyone who can provide me with current information about Finger Lakes Aikido, Cornell Aikido Club .....
Yes -- ME! I began training at Finger Lakes a year ago. Sensei Larry Bieri is a good teacher; he's very knowledgeable. And if a bone-crushing grip is the mark of a good sensei, then you can't go wrong with him!

Finger Lakes Aikido, while separate from the Cornell Aikido club, is very tight with them, and many people train in both places. I have only been with the Cornell group a couple of time. Their Sensei, Yuki Katagiri (sp), has also been doing Aikido for a long time. I have also seen on the web that she is the faculty advisor for the Cornell Kendo club. I do not know the status of that, though.

Quote:
..... If you train in one of these dojos, could you please tell me when classes are offered? ....
Certainly! Here is the current web site for Finger Lakes Aikido:

http://www.shibumi-aikikai.freeserve...nger_lakes.htm

Sensei's e-mail is on that page, and contrary to popular myth, he does answer them. For directions, here is the web page for Full Life Fitness:

http://www.fulllifefitness.baka.com/

Click on "How to Get Here."

Here is the web site for the Cornell Aikido club:

http://www.lightlink.com/markr/aikido.htm

Sempai Mark Reichert is actually part of Finger Lakes Aikido, and you can contact him about info for there, too. IIRC, both Sempai Mark and Sensei Larry are traveling a lot these days; Sensei will be teaching a seminar in Cincinnati next week, in fact. But they should get back to you.

Quote:
...... Any other relavant information you'd like to share is welcome also.
Domo arigato gozaimasu.
Casey Martinson
Wwwwaaaaaallllllllll, under the broadest definition of "any....."

As you can see, Full Life has a number of classes to offer, and you can try anything -- the first class is free! So if you wanted to try, say, oh, I dunno, the Kali class (which also covers the Indonesian art of Pentjak Silat Serak), you'd be more than welcome. That I train in both Aikido and Kali/Serak, is, of course, a coincidence, pure coincidence.

But other than that, contact Mark and/or Larry about Finger Lakes; and Mark and Yuki about Cornell. Hope to see you there!

Last edited by akiy : 02-22-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
Casey Martinson
Dojo: Meishinkan Dojo/Lehigh Acres

Mike, thanks for that wealth of information. My wife and I lived in Ithaca from January to June last year while attending massage therapy school. We moved to Florida after and now are wishing we had stayed. So we're looking for an opportunity to go back someday. And now that I know there are two first class aikido dojos right in town, I'm even more fired up to come back. Anyway, if I can manage it at all, I will definitely pay a visit to Finger Lakes Aikido.

Thanks also to Noel and Greg for your input.

-Casey
Old 02-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

You're welcome.