Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
Daniel Ellicott
United Kingdom
Shudokan Institute of Aikido

Hi, i wonder if anyone can help. A few years ago i was training with the Shudokan Institute of Aikido in Watford, Bushey and Hatfield but after coming back from travelling i decided to start training again but the classes aren't being held anymore. Did anyone else attend these classes or know of them and does the Shudokan Institute of Aikido still teach in or near Watford, if not can anyone recommend any other good dojos in or near Watford?

Cheers
Dan.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Re: Shudokan Institute of Aikido

Dan

Sensei Andrew Cullerne is back in Devon and Sensei Richard Brownbill is now training with the Kenshinkai, Yoshinkan Aikido (as am I). PM me if you want and I can also give you Richard's (Reg) email address. I am sure he would be more than happy to have another ex-Shudokan training there with him.

Si

Osu!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Hi Daniel,

I know Tony Yates had a Yoshinkan Club in Bushy, which I believe relocated to Watford. I can't find any info on it, but the BAB website lists these clubs in and around Watford, a large Yoshinkan presence .

http://www.bab.org.uk/club_directory/hertfordshire.html

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 AM   #4
Nathan Pereira
Dojo: Joseikan Jui Jitsu/MMA/Aikido Rickmansworth, Herts
England

Just to add to what the others have said. Herts is a hot bed of Yoshinkan. Sensei Yates teaches in Watford and Hatfield [Europeanaikido.com], there is Gadi Shor a 5th dan ex hombu instructor who teaches in Rickmansworth, there is also Terry Harrison of the kenshinkai who teaches in Edgware and Borehamwood.

Having known all these instructors for many years I would recommend any of them.

"Its just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Old 12-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
Daniel Ellicott
United Kingdom

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
Dan

Sensei Andrew Cullerne is back in Devon and Sensei Richard Brownbill is now training with the Kenshinkai, Yoshinkan Aikido (as am I). PM me if you want and I can also give you Richard's (Reg) email address. I am sure he would be more than happy to have another ex-Shudokan training there with him.

Si
Si,
Cheers Si, It'd be really handy if you could put me in touch with Richard as he was a great teacher, even if you could just tell me where he teaches then i can maybe get to one of his classes if it's not too far from me.
Cheers
Dan
Old 12-02-2004, 03:27 PM   #6
siwilson
England

Dan,

Check your PN Inbox on Aikiweb. I just PM'd you with his email address. I am sure he will be delighted to hear from you.

He is training in Edgeware, so maybe you can go down together an train?

All the best,

Si

Osu!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

How can Melbourne Shudokan and KL Shudokan affiliated to IYAF?

KamiKaze
Old 12-02-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
How can Melbourne Shudokan and KL Shudokan affiliated to IYAF?
If my memories serve correctly, the name Shudokan refers to the dojo started by Sensei Thambhy Rajah based in Seremban, Malaysia. Melbourne Shudokan is run by his nephew Sensei Joe Thambu, a respected high ranking YoshiOrc, err I mean Yoshikaner. KL Shudokan... maybe it is a branch dojo by some of its senior members?

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #9
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
If my memories serve correctly, the name Shudokan refers to the dojo started by Sensei Thambhy Rajah based in Seremban, Malaysia. Melbourne Shudokan is run by his nephew Sensei Joe Thambu, a respected high ranking YoshiOrc, err I mean Yoshikaner. KL Shudokan... maybe it is a branch dojo by some of its senior members?

Boon.
Ah Boon,

Don't be mistake, i'm not attraching attention from Si Wilson. Serdang Dojo has runned by Ramlan Senei, he is currently IYAF 3rd Dan. Darren Sensei was keiko under Joe Sensei too, now he is chief instructor of Yoshinkan Hombu Dojo International Department. Next year, Darren Sensei will back to Sydney restart a dojo.

I don't know excatly about Shudokan in UK, Poland, Germany, France and Canada, that's why i like to ask answer from Si Wilson.

OSU!

KamiKaze
Old 12-03-2004, 04:41 AM   #10
siwilson
England

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
I don't know excatly about Shudokan in UK, Poland, Germany, France and Canada, that's why i like to ask answer from Si Wilson.
My pleasure.

Sensei Edwin Stratton was serving in the British Army in Malaysia in the late '50s early '60s. He went to the Shudokan dojo to train in Judo (as Thamby Rajah Sensei was the first Judo black belt in Malaysia as well as the first Aikido black belt), but Master Thamby was teaching Aikido, so Sensei Stratton started to practice Yoshinkan Aikido under Master Thamby.

In the early '60s, Sensei Stratton returned to the UK opened the first Yoshinkan Aikido dojo in the UK, in Bushy, North London. Sensei Stratton, as Master Thamby's student called his dojo Shudokan as well. The Shudokan was the UK Yoshinkan and was until 1986 when it parted with the Yoshinkan and became independent, headed by Master Thamby. Some dojo within Shudokan wanted to stay with the Yoshinkan, so the Kenshinkai was formed by Sensei Eayrs.

The school in Poland came about when a Polish Aikikai student visited the Shudokan Exeter dojo while in the UK with work. They took him to meet Sensei Stratton, and he was so impressed that when he got back to Poland, he invited Sensei Stratton to go to Poland to teach a Seminar, which he did. After the Seminar, the Polish clubs resigned from the Aikikai and joined the Shudokan. I know them well, as my wife started her Aikido in the Shudokan Gliwice dojo.

Sadly, Sensei Stratton passed away on the 9th of March 2000. I miss him greatly.

The Shudokan in Germany is run by Sensei Jamal Measara, who is Malaysian. He is a senior Okinawa Karate teacher and also teaches Aikido. He learnt his Aikido from Master Thamby and teaches "Shudokan Aikido", but I do not know if he has ever been a member of the Yoshinkan in Germany. I know Sensei Stratton used to go out to Germany to teach.

I did run a dojo in the North west of Germany for a couple of years, while I was posted there, but from the UK school, not Sensei Jamal's.

The Shudokan dojo in France is a dojo run by a young man called Lionel Welch, who learnt Aikido from Sensei Ken Robson (one of Sensei Stratton's student, and now head of the Shudokan in the UK) in Nottingham, and his dojo is a member of the UK Shudokan, like the Polish clubs.

Sensei Joe Thambu has always remained within the Yoshinkan, and also Shudokan to his uncle, Master Thamby Rajah, head of the Shudokan.

About the Shudokan dojo in KL. Sensei Ramlan Ahmed received his 1st Dan from Inoue Sensei (Yoshinkan Kancho), his 2nd Dan from Thamby Sensei, and his 3rd Dan from Inoue Sensei.

Hope that helps.

OSU!

Si

Osu!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Mark Hadiarja is former student in Melbourne Shudokan under Joe Thambu Sensei, he returns to Indonesia establish Shudokan Indonesia. Now, Shudokan Indonesia becomes an IYAF dojo.

KamiKaze
Old 12-14-2004, 12:17 PM   #12
siwilson
England

Hi Tony

I have met and trained with Mark (in Malayasia). I must say "hello" again to him, as it has been a while. We did talk via email a couple of years back, when he went to Indonesia, as I wanted to link to a Shudokan Indonesia web site, but he didnīt have one.

Thanks for the reminder. I must say "hi"!

Osu!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:56 AM   #13
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
Hi Tony

I have met and trained with Mark (in Malayasia). I must say "hello" again to him, as it has been a while. We did talk via email a couple of years back, when he went to Indonesia, as I wanted to link to a Shudokan Indonesia web site, but he didnīt have one.

Thanks for the reminder. I must say "hi"!
Shudokan Indonesia has website already, but temporary just Indonesian Language.

http://www.aikidoshudokanindonesia.com

KamiKaze
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 PM   #14
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Si,

Is Shudokan in Canada still remains?

KamiKaze
Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 AM   #15
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi Wong,

How are you? I hope you are still training regularly at MAA.
Just curious, you still have not answered my PM and aikipost regarding the KI Society dojo(s) in Malaysia. Many of us who rely on the information provided by you have not managed to contact them. Are these bogus dojo(s)?

Some of us aikikai lads have got the opportunities to train with Joe Thambu sensei and Ramlan sensei both in Seremban dojo and in the Sri Kembangan dojo. The experience was gratifying from the aikido and budo point of views. Terima kasih to both Joe and Ramlan sensei.

Best training

David Y
Old 05-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #16
siwilson
England

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
Si,

Is Shudokan in Canada still remains?
Fred Castel study Aikido in the UK and went back to Canada and opened a dojo, but I don't think it is running now. Fred is registered on Aikiweb, so he may stumble upon this thread.....?

Osu!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #17
siwilson
England

Hi All

I have lauched a new website dedicated to Stratton Sensei.

www.shudokan.org.uk

Please visit and anyone with memories of Stratton Sensei who woud like to submit them, please post them through the site or to:

si@aikibudo.co.uk

Many thanks,

Si

Osu!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:57 AM   #18
med

Dojo: Shudokan, Exeter
United Kingdom

Daniel,

I think Si got most of that right. The Shudokan in the UK and Europe still has close ties with the yoshinkan and in particular the Aikido Shudokan and Shudokan Institute of Aikido Seremban. The latter 2 are still officially affiliated with the IYAF and we are not.

BTW I currently train with S. Andy Cullerne. Richard is not training any more. I would Highly reccomend Sensei Harrison (Sendokan Dojo) or Sensei Rubens (Meidokan Dojo). I have not trained wiht Sensei Yates but I hear good things.

med
Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #19
stuarttheobald
Dojo: Shoshinkai
United Kingdom

Well, Sensei Yates is the of Head of the Yoshinkan for the UK so I would say he has the credentialsm having trained with him once i thought his aikido was spot on.