Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-22-2004, 02:00 AM   #1
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Post 2009 World Games

This is a long way off, but Aikido is going to be a include as one of the events in the 2009 world games in KaoHsieng City. Is anyone going to compete? Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Robert Cheshire

Dojo: Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down Re: 2009 World Games

Sounds interesting enough. What are the details?

Robert Cheshire
Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
www.yoseikanbudo.us
Old 08-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: 2009 World Games

Actually, Aikido is also featured in the 2005 World Games in Duisberg, Germany as well. Aikido is listed under the "Invitational Games" section here - http://www.worldgames-iwga.org/vsite...m-item,00.html - so I'm not sure if anyone is actually competing. It's more like a demo I think.

Also, the only "style" of Aikido that is represented across the globe is Aikikai as the participants must be recognised by the International Aikido Federation. So I think this is just another arena that is being used to display Aikido. But it is not actually Aikido competition imho.

Interesting concept though.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 08-23-2004, 01:35 AM   #4
Erik

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
Also, the only "style" of Aikido that is represented across the globe is Aikikai as the participants must be recognised by the International Aikido Federation.
Interesting, I couldn't find specific detail regarding the IAF recognition requirement other than a link to their site. As the United States is not a member of the IAF that would imply that we don't get to play, err, whatever it is they are doing. If it's an exhibition event then it seems likely that someone in Germany dialed them up and arranged the demo which makes it likely that it would only be the IAF which would be represented and hence the IAF membership bit may not be an actual requirement?

Anyone out there with first-hand knowledge?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer wrote:
Interesting, I couldn't find specific detail regarding the IAF recognition requirement other than a link to their site. As the United States is not a member of the IAF that would imply that we don't get to play, err, whatever it is they are doing. If it's an exhibition event then it seems likely that someone in Germany dialed them up and arranged the demo which makes it likely that it would only be the IAF which would be represented and hence the IAF membership bit may not be an actual requirement?

Anyone out there with first-hand knowledge?

Having researched this whole thing about a month ago I have some Internet-hand information and started another thread here on Aikiweb with these same questions.

Taken from the World Games Homepage -
Quote:
The International Federations whose sports are admitted to the official program ensure that the competitions in all events of The World Games are of the highest standards. They establish the qualification and selection criteria for their assigned contingent of athletes.
From the IWGA Rules it says -
Quote:
Each Member Federation, in order to be eligible for inclusion in the World Games programme, must guarantee to organise an elite competition which is reserved for invited competitors of the highest standard only. In selecting the competitors and/or teams the Member Federation shall ensure adequate international representation of its members.
So the way the World Games works is that representatives are found via a selection process that must be undertaken by the "Member Federation." The Member Federation for Aikido taken from the World Games Website is the IAF .

The IAF Website says -
Quote:
The Membership of the IAF is open to national organisations which have Recognition from the Aikikai Hombu.
There are currently some 53 organisations which have Recognition from the Hombu, but not all of
these organisations can be members of the IAF.

At present the IAF has a rule that only one organisation from each country may be a member.
It is important to recognise that Recognition by the Aikikai Hombu is quite different from Membership of the IAF.
So as I said before this is an Aikikai exhibition at the World games, since according to the IWGA Rules they are ineligible to compete since they do not or have not

Quote:
-Organised (sic) an elite competition which is reserved for invited competitors of the highest standard only.

-Effectively control such sports or disciplines of sports world-wide.

-Practise (sic) in a competitive way in at least three (3) of the world's continents.

-Organised at least three (3) World Championships or comparable events for the sports disciplines concerned.
as indicated by the IWGA Rules.

Unless the Aikikai or the IAF are holding International Championship level Aikido Competitions without my knowing and anyone talking about it.

So this is the info I have. I have also asked for first hand information as it shocked me to find that the same folks who say "there is no competition in Aikido" are associating themselves with an international competitive sporting event that requires international level competitions to participate.

Wakarimasen.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca