Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido - Videos?

I did a search, and found an old archive here at aikiweb that mentioned there were training videos of Tohei Sensei available.

The caveats were that they were a grand or more, and you needed a Ki-Aikido instructors signature to purchase, and they were in Japanese only.

Now my question is this.
Has any of this info changed? And is this info even correct?
I couldnt find info on the main ki-aikido site - even in the japanese language media section. - cant read japanese, but can tell what videos are, etc.

The other question is, would the material really cover technique...as in footwork, etc?

I ask this because of the nature of ki aikido as I currently understand it and its apparent focus on flow.
(Which, truly cannot be overlooked, and to some extent would seem to be one notch above technique...as timing and flow of energy make up most of the move - especially against larger opponents.)

So if anyone knows of any teaching material from Sensei Tohei that is available on dvds, that would be great...at this point it doesnt appear there is anything - which to be honest, with all the material floating out in Aikido land, you would have thought he would have a huge video collection.

Why doesnt he? Any reason...or is it mainly due to the lack of focus on technique? Again, I did notice on a page linked from the main Ki aikido homepage that the focus was on things such as tea ceremony, calligraphy, etc. - all things to help your awareness of 'ki' if I can put it that way.

Thanks in advanced for your time!

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido - Videos?

Hi Dalen,

Well, there are a bunch of clips of Tohei Sensei on YouTube. Also, Aikido Journal sells a DVD called Aikido Classics 1: Postwar Greats that features Tohei Sensei teaching. I haven't seen this video, but it was filmed in 1962 when he was in his prime.

Beyond that, I have a friend in my dojo who has an amazing video collection - I'll ask him the next time I see him - I'm sure he will know what's out there.

Cheers,
Garth

PS Aikido Journal sells a whole range of videos and books. You might find more of interest there....
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Garth Jones wrote: View Post
Hi Dalen,

Well, there are a bunch of clips of Tohei Sensei on YouTube. Also, Aikido Journal sells a DVD called Aikido Classics 1: Postwar Greats that features Tohei Sensei teaching. I haven't seen this video, but it was filmed in 1962 when he was in his prime.

Cheers,
Garth

PS Aikido Journal sells a whole range of videos and books. You might find more of interest there....
Ill have to check out the Postwar Greats.

When I was at Aikido Journal I saw that they had tons of series from the likes of Saito Sensei, etc. - so it was then, I believe, I started to look for Tohei Senseis material and was surprised to find that the 10th Dan of Aikido didnt seem to have anything specifically dedicated to him, per say.

Ill have to check those youtube clips, I seem to recall that there may have been some clips in his older years. Wonder how involved he is...seems I read he is retired, yet still teaches.

I would try to capture as much of him on video that i could while he is still around if I were his student...but perhaps thats not his cup of tea - which I respect.

Anyway, thanks for the reply Garth.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Hi Dalen,
I have been searching the web for exactly what you're looking for: Tohei Sensei's teachings in DVD format, but have not found any. It's funny but I have not asked any of my senseis this after over 5 years of ki aikido. I only have his books. I will ask my sensei tonight if he has seen one. Tohei Sensei is retired and has transfered the leadership of Ki No Kenkyukai to his son Shinichi Tohei Sensei. Oregon Ki Society had a large delegation that went to the HQ last year for training and sight-seeing. Tohei Sensei came in to talk to the group, have some photo opportunities, and hosted the group for dinner and was always in high spirit. I missed this opportunity.
Garth is right, YouTube has a lot of footage of Tohei Sensei.
Enjoy the search.

-Larry

Plus Ki
Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Larry Cuvin wrote: View Post
Hi Dalen,

I will ask my sensei tonight if he has seen one.

Tohei Sensei is retired and has transfered the leadership of Ki No Kenkyukai to his son Shinichi Tohei Sensei.

Oregon Ki Society had a large delegation that went to the HQ last year for training and sight-seeing. Tohei Sensei came in to talk to the group, have some photo opportunities, and hosted the group for dinner and was always in high spirit.

Enjoy the search.

-Larry
That would be cool...it will be interesting to know if such material is available or not.

Just out of curiosity, Shinichi Tohei Sensei would be outside of the ranking system, no?

That sounds pretty cool that your group was able to go...I would be interested in meeting with him myself - was pretty inspired, if thats the right word, by the interviews I read with him...hence my search for quality DVD material with him in it.

Im interested in all the aspects taught within his organization...as they deal specifically with the development of ki. I think I have a certain understanding of where hes coming from, but wouldnt hurt to get more info and try it out.
He seemed rather down to earth about the ki concept, which I liked.

Thanks for your time,

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 02-19-2009 at 02:25 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Hi Dalen,

My friend with the vast video collection is not aware of a tape of Tohei Sensei. He suggested that you email Stan Pranin, who runs Aikido Journal, or contact the Ki Society.

Cheers,
Garth
Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Garth Jones wrote: View Post
Hi Dalen,

My friend with the vast video collection is not aware of a tape of Tohei Sensei. He suggested that you email Stan Pranin, who runs Aikido Journal, or contact the Ki Society.

Cheers,
Garth
Thanks Garth for getting back, I appreciate your time!

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical