Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
eric_lecaptain

United_States
Aikido Addictive??

I'm pretty new to aikido. I started just to have a little work out. At first, I didn't care if I missed class or not.
It seems I have passed a turning point. Now, I can't wait to go to class. In fact, I want to go to class everyday (unfortunately this is not an option at our dojo).
I find myself searching the web for all things aikido related.
I think this is a good addiction...
Any comments or similar experiences??
Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
usn322
Dojo: sunset cliffs aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido Addictive??

yup, same here, and also when i didn,t practice that day i feel tired and a sickly feeling. you are right it is really addicting!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

In my life experience, new things lose their newness in 3 or 4 months. Then complaints and excuses begin to trickle in. If not addressed, this trickle becomes a mighty stream and there's full scale burnout.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 02-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, an addiction is still an addiction, it will progressively take more and become destructive.

Get over the initial high, accept the discipline, and keep training when the buzz wears off.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Not to be too technical, but one of the reasons addiction is a disease is because it is chronic, progressive, and (potentially) lethal. As Lynn stated above, it (addiction) takes more and becomes destructive, basically because it strangles out the other areas of life. A new practice can start to become consuming, but hopefully what it will really teach us throughout is true balance in life, which is true health. Health is about balanced living, addiction is about unbalanced living. I understand the inbalance of being a newbie, remember those days fondly; and the shine will eventually wear off, there may be crisis of belief at times (does my aikido really work?!?!?, is this really worth the effort???, etc.), but ultimately this is all part of the path. Enjoy whatever stage you're in, know that it will have to change if there is to be growth. Cheers to all.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
justin
United Kingdom

This feeling wont be the first or certainly the last time you will get this feeling during your training, I often find the classes I have to struggle to attend get of my butt drag myself to the dojo are the ones I recall and enjoy most.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

When motivation fails, discipline provides.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
darin

obsession not addiction for me
Old 02-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
lbb
United_States

I think the healthy state to strive for is "habit", not "addiction". Of course, habit only comes with time and practice, whereas addiction can happen overnight.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
eric_lecaptain

United_States

oh, i guess i should have been more specific.
habit or obsession more closely resemble my affliction....
Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

Quote:
Eric LeCaptain wrote: View Post
It seems I have passed a turning point. Now, I can't wait to go to class. In fact, I want to go to class everyday (unfortunately this is not an option at our dojo).
I find myself searching the web for all things aikido related.
I can totally relate...

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #12
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

For the first x amount of months that I did Aikido I was totally high off of it. I complained when I couldn't go, etc, etc. That wore off, and I'm glad it did.

Of course, going to class is still as enjoyable as ever, if not more so!

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Quote:
oh, i guess i should have been more specific.
habit or obsession more closely resemble my affliction....
"Habit" and "obsession" are two very different things, and affliction is never good -- by definition.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

I believed Takuan mentioned "sickness of the abiding place" or in my terms "sickness of a stuck mind". It's sort of looking at a tree and not seeing the forest, looking at the forest and not seeing fire woods.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
eric_lecaptain

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
"Habit" and "obsession" are two very different things, and affliction is never good -- by definition.
geez... ok, ok, it's not a habit or obsession. just something i really like to do.
we can call my taste for german and bulgarian beer an obsession. me drinking said beers as often as possible we'll call a habit...

hmm, affliction... the only thing that comes to mind is, perhaps, i like to sit in front of the tv and watch "meerkat manor"...
i think we can all agree, thats an affliction.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
lbb
United_States

Oh, I know what you mean. I have a bit of a different feeling about it. For me, aikido is something that's a part of my life, and that helps my life stay in balance. Like today, I'm having a very busy, fairly frustrating, all too verbal and cerebral day, and I'm not happy because I am having to deal with some pretty nasty and passive-aggressive people. When I go to the dojo tonight, I won't have to do any talking or any persuading or deal with any snarky bullshit. I'll be able to just work at something, with no deadline, and whatever improvements I make or understanding I come to will be enough. That's a pretty important thing on days like this.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
mari
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
geez... ok, ok, it's not a habit or obsession. just something i really like to do.
we can call my taste for german and bulgarian beer an obsession. me drinking said beers as often as possible we'll call a habit...

hmm, affliction... the only thing that comes to mind is, perhaps, i like to sit in front of the tv and watch "meerkat manor"...
i think we can all agree, thats an affliction.
bulgarian beer? are you serious?

back to aikido - like some mentioned above, keep doing it when the initial joy of going to the dojo as often as possible wears off, because it will sorry to break to you haha

and remember: RELAX!!

just kidding, just kidding see ya wednesday
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
eric_lecaptain

United_States

Quote:
Mariya Cacheva wrote: View Post
bulgarian beer? are you serious?

back to aikido - like some mentioned above, keep doing it when the initial joy of going to the dojo as often as possible wears off, because it will sorry to break to you haha

and remember: RELAX!!

just kidding, just kidding see ya wednesday
well of course i'm serious. it is better beer than most found in the US... and the wine from Germany and Bulgaria is great too.

perhaps i would be more relaxed at practice if i were to drink a couple astika's or kamenitza's before class.
maybe throw in an american beer too (sam adams)...
Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Ok, let's get serious...almost ANY beer is better than the mainstream beers in the US. It's only the micro-brewaries and the imports that makes it possible for a beer lover to live here! Ok, Sam Adams, Flying Fish, and a few others are the pleasent exceptions.

And yes, in the colloquial sense, aikido is certainly addictive to me. Even more so are the internal exercises I'm working on. Some of them give you quite a rush. One of the things that scares me about it is that it is so addictive that it can keep me really buzzed for extended periods of time, and I have to be carefull not to do certain exercises at night.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Five and a half years after I first started aikido, the "buzz" and "initial joy" have not worn off.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
mari
United_States

Quote:
Karen Wolek wrote: View Post
Five and a half years after I first started aikido, the "buzz" and "initial joy" have not worn off.
but you must have days when you just drag yourself to the dojo. I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE that has those days Of course, things change once i get there but sometime it's just so easy to miss class..
Old 02-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
...Of course, things change once i get there but sometime it's just so easy to miss class..
0h my g0d! its homer simpson!!!!!

just kidding.

regards to grabel sensei
Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
mari
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
0h my g0d! its homer simpson!!!!!

just kidding.

regards to grabel sensei
look who resurfaced, welcome back! now please share your opinion on how addictive aikido is
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #24
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Quote:
but you must have days when you just drag yourself to the dojo. I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE that has those days Of course, things change once i get there but sometime it's just so easy to miss class..
I might be a freak, but no, the only times I miss class are when I am sick or I can't get there because of a snowstorm or something. I have three kids and I teach preschool for a living, so most days I am pretty tired driving to the dojo (a 40 minute drive), but I ALWAYS can't wait to get there.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 AM   #25
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, addiction are progressive, destructive, and external (outside in, separate from the self). Addiction is what you do until you incorporate it into identity (who you are).

Likewise, Aikido can be what you externally do until it internally incorporates and become who you are (identity).

While some of this seems semantics, semantics is how we mental file the information and the frame of reference which directs our energy.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!