Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Is understanding human psychology helpful for you in learning aikido?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 11, 2007:

Is understanding human psychology helpful for you in learning aikido?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Poll: Is understanding human psychology helpful for you in learning aikido?

I answered yes, but 'understanding human psychology' is a tall order. Sometimes I am a bafflement to myself. (bafflement - southern for confusing situation)

Frequently others are trying to understand where I am coming from. I have a better time understanding the rhythms of nature, and I find that animals are a lot more consistent (trustworthy?) than human beings. By 'rhythms of nature' I mean the seasons, weather, and how a person rocks back a little on their heels before they strike.

I understand the facial expressions of aggression, but sometimes I can't tell when someone is just kidding around. I am wonderfully tuned to know 'threat or not threat' in all I meet, but sometimes I don't ease up at parties.

It's getting better - Sensei says I can fit into the group now if I choose to.......but how do you do that?

dave
Old 02-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Absolutely. I began with a little, Aikido gave me a little. I understood a little more, Aikido gave me a little more. My limit in understanding Aikido is limited by my understanding of people and myself.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Understanding others-self, helpful.
Understanding my-self, helpful.
Understanding how my-self relates to others-self, priceless.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Hmm, I would be more specific. I think aikido utilises psychological responses to achieve self-defence aims. For example, presenting a target to attack, 'framing' with the hands, spiral motions, leading, yin/yang (bringing down then a reversal), non-resistance (preventing kinetic feed-back), non-aggressive attitude and posture, atemi, unbalancing (so that uke focuses on this rather than attack) etc...

I answered yes, however I don't think it's useful to understand human psychology mentally, but I think there are many elements of aikido practise which incorporate the exploitation of human psychology, and could be explained in this way, though the practise and ability to carry these 'tricks' out is better than knowing the information!

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 02-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Ronjon said
Quote:
My limit in understanding Aikido is limited by my understanding of people and myself.
With this formula one can proceed to 'take aikido with' when walking out of the dojo.

"Know Thyself" - Socrates

"Be respectful" - Sensei

"Train hard" - Sempai

It's that second one that stymies me!

david
Old 02-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Rod Yabut
United_States

Interesting poll Jun, I've been asking this to myself the last couple of weeks because of certain circumstances that has come about:

Why does there seem to be more of a correlation between Aikido and Psychology than in other martial arts?

My wife is getting her Master's degree in spiritual psychology and if you've ever taken a Psychology 101 (like I did) in college, you'd remember the obscene reading assignments that this discipline dives into, let alone a Master's.

I just saw the reading materials that they are working with for her second term, one book is authored by George Leonard, and the other by Jack Kornfield (participant in an upcoming seminar in the Bay Area). Upon further research, I came across Robert Frager, the founding President of the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (a student of O'sensei).

And of course, two of the esteemed contributors here, Lynn Seiser and Ellis Amdur have extensive backgrounds in it.

The obvious answer is the philosophy behind Aikido maybe the draw, I'm just curious if there is anything else that draws individuals with psychology backgrounds into Aikido….or is it the other way around?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Rod Yabut wrote:
I'm just curious if there is anything else that draws individuals with psychology backgrounds into Aikido….or is it the other way around?
IMHO, one leads to the other. Both deal with a world in conflict, confusions, and chaos and our attempts to find some means of compassionate and mindful communication, problem-solving, and conflict-resolution.

Aikido is one of the few conflict-resolution models that does not simply offer more of the same (force and resistance). Einstein said that the type of thinking that creates a problem is never the type of thinking that solves it.

Psychology in the Dojo, or Aikido in the world. Same.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!