Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Passing of O Sensei student Norman Miles

Posted 2020-01-10 17:00:15 by Margaret Miles
News URL: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...-miles-6978338

Hello. I would like to pass along the belated news of the 2016 passing of my father, Norman Miles, who was one of the first foreign students under O Sensei (you can see him in this image: http://www.aikidonorthwest.co.uk/ethos.html).

The memory of his dedication to Aikido, and the memorabilia I have from his time under O Sensei, have been a tremendous comfort since his passing.

Not sure if my "Uncle" Kenny (also pictured in the photo) is still around - so many of the foreign students scattered to different corners of the world to start their dojos. Though my father did not move on to open a dojo of his own due to military business obligations, I think Uncle Kenny went to either Isle of Man or South Africa to spread O Sensei's teachings.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom
Re: Passing of O Sensei student Norman Miles

Hi Margaret,

unfortunately "Uncle Kenny" as you refer to him passed on a few years ago. he remained active until his death and I was privileged to call him a friend.
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #3
mcpleung
Dojo: Hong Kong Aikido Kan
Hong Kong

Hi Margaret,

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. We are Michael Leung and Angela Lee of Hong Kong Aikido Kan. We are direct students of Kenneth Cottier Shihan, your Uncle Kenny. I have known your father since 1971 when he came to Hong Kong to visit Uncle Kenny, they were great friends. Your father practiced beautiful Aikido, and was soft yet powerful, He enjoyed his Aikido but he never aspired to be a sensei or care about his rank. He was still slim at that time, and he enjoyed the food in Hong Kong. He asked me to take him to a good streak house. As I was only 18 and a poor student at that time, I took him to the San Francisco Streak House which I could never afford at that time. He kindly bought me and Edmund Wan, another student of Cottier Sensei's, a big dinner. He loved his food and ice cream! He came to Hong Kong quite a number of times and Angela took care of his stay in the later days. He was humorous and generous, and displayed the true spirits of Aikido - getting along with people in a cheerful way and enjoyed one's life. Cottier Shihan passed away in June 2008 and now rests in his home town in the UK. The memory of your father will live for ever in our hearts.
Old Today, 01:58 AM   #4
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello,

I second the sentiments of Philip and Michael. I was never privileged to know Mr Miles, but Kenneth Cottier and I became friends and the friendship lasted until we gradually lost contact after I came to live here in Hiroshima. I began aikido in 1969, which was the year the founder passed away.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!