Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Tracking your training hours

... which, incidentally, is exactly what I'm doing by downloading the development tools for my android phone... Hmmm, gotta use it, gotta use it, gotta use it...

WHACK! Stop it! Back to the real work...

Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
lbb
United_States

Keith, any reasonably bright small child should know that you don't stick screwdrivers into electrical sockets. That's what forks are for.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Keith, any reasonably bright small child should know that you don't stick screwdrivers into electrical sockets. That's what forks are for.
The spork never fit... Sigh...

Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #29
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
It's nothing sinister Ashley, it's a useful, free site developed by a martial artist (and instructor) who also happens to be a top notch developer and a friend of mine.
I'm familiar with the program. You mentioned it in the past and I went and checked it out. To be honest, I haven't went back one time since then. Too much prepping to do before you even use it. Pen and paper seems to suit my needs best at this point. Not to say that the program wouldn't work for others though.

The only way I could see that program being used in a dojo is have a laptop up front for people to use when they come in, which would be a bit of a pain I think. I guess you could also transfer hours written on paper to the program, but then you are just doing the same work twice.

Like everything else in this world, no one thing works for everyone. I am glad it is a viable option out there for those who are looking for something like that though.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #30
susanmarie
United_States

We have a sign in sheet, and at the end of each month I total days per person for that month, add it to the number carried over from last month, and write it on the new sheet.

For myself I also have a cheap pocket calendar on which I mark down where I trained and with whom each day. Again, I total days (we don't track hours) at the end of each month and carry over to the next.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #31
nuxie

Dojo: Aikido of Evansville
United_States

HAHA You are all awesome! paper vs computers. Hard to say who wins here! I do find I use my Ipod app more often though. hehe.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #32
FiuzA

Dojo: CNG/Parede
Portugal

My sensei takes care of this type of record as well as I do (on my dojo), on an excel sheet. Simple and easy method.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #33
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

In my Aikido dojo, the number of hours of training is irrelevant. Personal progress is. This is the reason why Sensei just has his secretary write down every day the names of the students who participated in the class. If we want to keep track of our number of training hours, we can write them down at home, in a notebook or on our computer.
My Karate instructor had attendance cards. Each student had a card with his or her name on it. We would take our cards in a box before stepping on the mat, and, at the beginning of the class, the most advanced student would collect them and go put them on Sensei's desk. After the class, Sensei would put a dating stamp on each card, and Sempai would put them back in the box. This way, we could easily see the number of training hours we'd accumulated since our last promotion. After each promotion, we would get a fresh card.
Now, the fun started with the mini pee wees, the four to six year old ones. Some could not yet read their name, especially with the last name showing first, so the sempai in charge of the class would take the card from the box and hand them to the kids. Then, the most advanced of them would experience the glory or collecting the cards and go put them on Sensei's desk. What a thrill!
And it was so funny!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #34
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

in my dojo, each students are given an attendance book which they need to bring everytime they come to practice. the person in charge of leading Taisho will write down the practice details and sign the book during break time..
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #35
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Diaries do the job for me...I can't recall even a fraction of what I did playing football..just a few old newspaper cuttings. Didn't want to lose memories in same way with Aikido...and I knew as soon as I started I was here for life.

When I started Aikido I asked my instructor what books to read...he said write your own. Further encouragement to make good notes.

Through my diaries over last 20 years I've recorded so much about highs, lows, special events, special people, my mistakes, others mistakes and of course times and dates practiced.

I even wrote a book...but thankfully keep it secret.

For everyone I think writing notes away from tatami, extends the practice and makes you think about it so you progress in understanding rather than just in the physical.

As an instructor ...records of good classes ,,,and mistakes are also useful.

Best

D
Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
Adam Huss

United_States

In regard to the original post;
at my school we track training hours as we have a sheet with all the students and its someone's responsibility to ensure attendance is taken at every class. Likewise the requirements to attend seminars, instructors courses, or simply having some contact with the regional, national, and international heads is recorded and meets promotional requirements.

While some may argue this is simply a way to encourage seminar participation and earn money for the organization, I would argue this helps with quality control and allows the most senior members of the organization to interact with, and train, the more serious students...hence the more rank someone achieves, the more requirements placed on them. I feel that its fine if a student is content with training once or twice a week and never really attending seminars. I also feel those, or any student, should 'auto-pass' their rank examinations or achieve higher levels of rank without actually showing some dedication and relevant skill. If one becomes a third dan, and their journey to being third dan has required little dedication, sacrifice, or effort....well, I just dont agree with that.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!