Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
jxa127
Unhappy Just about to lose a toenail...

Hi all,

I hope this topic doesn't gross anyone out. In the middle of last October, one of my randori partner's knees came down hard on my right big toe. The toenail dug in and cut the skin underneath it, and my toe was sore for a week or two.

Since then, the toe has gotten better, but the toenail didn't look too good. Now, three months or so later, the toenail is just about to fall off. I think this is a good thing because a new toenail should be growing in to replace it (which I think is happening already).

For those who have had this happen (and I know you're out there):

1) How long did it take for the new nail to grow in?

2) How do you protect your toe while the nail is off?

Thanks in advance,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Ohhh Drew:

Been there and done that. At least three times. I won't gross you out with the details of the incidents.

However, the worst for you is probably over.

I just bandaged the toe each time. Covered it with a bandaid to cushion it and then taped it carefully. Be careful when you take the tape off after each class so you don't rip it off.

I let the toenail come off naturally.

After if comes off it is actually more comfortable. I still bandaged my toe because it was tender.

My toenail has grown back and it still is more tender than my other big toenail but it is way better than it was.

My sympathies...it seems like a small injury but it really hurts.

Mary Eastland

Berkshire Hills Aikido.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 AM   #3
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
With Mary, get one of those finger/toe applicators and use a bandage with tape. Should regrow to a useable state in about a month or so (get some calcium tablets down you, some swear by using zinc tablets as well). When not training etc. try to air it as much as possible (barefoot) and you will want to wear your loosest shoes (I know, obvious, but hey, I am what i am). Worst bit is when the old one's just hanging on by a thread, hope you're better at resisting having pick than I was, hurts all over again.

plus the good bit - save old toenail when it comes off, put under hakama and the dojo fairy may leave you some money
Old 02-12-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
It takes about a month to two months.

I've lost two different finger nails this way. The initial injury and the swelling are the worst parts and yes... a new one grows back.

Funny story about this: In the 5th grade, we had a rainy day and could not go outside for P.E., so the teacher took us in a classroom and just answered health trivia questions. One student asked," What is that little 'half moon' shape thing on your fingernail?" He foolishly answered that it was the bone in your finger! HA! WELL... having lost a nail in the 3rd grade, I KNEW it was a new nail... one that regenerates the current one. I had a big time laughing at the teacher that day.

Hang loose... the worst is over and all will be fine soon!

Last edited by John Boswell : 02-12-2004 at 12:44 PM.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
jxa127
Thanks, guys for the advice and the humor.

I'm at the point where it's hanging on by a thread, and I'm doing my best not to pick it.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
If it is really "hanging by a thread" then you should be able to see the new nail growth beneath it. If you can't, then it has a way to go/grow. When it is at the point you are describing, if I am right on your state, then clench teeth give a little tug.

From the knee landing on it, you probably didn't injure the nail-bed. (I mashed with a truck brake drum) damage the nail-bed and the nail grows back weird. Look at THIS! Sometimes feels weird for ever too if nerves are hurt. like something under nail at all times for me.

Trim it back with clippers if it isn't ready to come off on it's own, but "seperating"

Hurts like hell doesn't it?

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:41 AM   #7
jxa127
Sure enough, I took it off last night with little trouble or pain. There's already new growth coming in and my toe feels better.

Thanks again, folks.

-Drew

P.S. Will the hakama fairy visit me if I don't have a hakama?

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-13-2004, 07:14 AM   #8
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Quote:
P.S. Will the hakama fairy visit me if I don't have a hakama?
Depends on your association, check with your shihan (and the tomiki one's rather overworked)
Old 02-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
thisisnotreal

Greetings!

I am just wondering if I am the only crazy one but...

sometimes when i have a paper cut/tear or other laceration on my skin (and nails) ... i use crazy glue to reattach/reinforce various body parts.

i cannot take credit for this idea..i read about it on "The Internet"...and apparently in WWI the soldiers were given crazy glue (invented in what year; I do not know) to make 'shields' to keep blown out body parts together.

so now, when i literally find myself falling apart, i do use crazy glue...and duct tape.

believe it or not.

josh
Old 02-13-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Hey Josh!

I just wanted to pop in and confirm for you that yes, you are the only crazy one here.

...but you have a GREAT DAY ANYHOW!

Old 02-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #11
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
About the glue thing. They now sell medical grade super glue under a brand name. I think it's "liquid bandage" or something to that effect. It's purple in color(so you don't realize it's super glue,) and I've never used it but I'm sure it's scented somehow (for the same reason.) I have used actual super glue on cuts out of convenience back in my model-making days and I found it very effective. I also remember hearing that emergency rooms used to use it, but they've switched to the brand name one, as they probably get kick-backs for it. My wife uses the purple stuff -along with masking tape- when she's working with stained glass, so I guess it's not that weird. Well, for us anyway, but I guess that isn't saying much.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 02-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
jxa127
Jeff,

I build scale models too. From what I understand, super glue was originally for medical purposes and only later came into more general use.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames