Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
dream

Nightmares after Aikido?

I know this is off the wall but I would like some comment.
Now, my aikido lessons usually end quite late, and I would sleep a few hours after class. Sometime during my sleep, I will experiance "sleep paralysis", which is harmless but very frightening.
Sleep paralysis is by no mean uncommon, it is a natural bodily function that causes us to be paralyzed during sleep. It prevents us hurting ourselves or others during dreams.There are many causes of sleep paralysis, stress included.
I have noticed that I am more likely to experiance it after a class, or more often during a period of heavy training than when I stopped classes for a while.
Does anyone else have this problem?

I've been thinking a lot lately.
And i don't recommend it.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States
Re: Nightmares after Aikido?

Actually since I've started Aikido I've been much more calm; especially in my sleep. Before I found Aikido I had nothing to look forward to and that led to me thinking to me about stressful things and not being able to sleep. Now I just think about Aikido technqiues and go right to bed haha.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 PM   #3
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States

I have to agree with Mitch here. I sleep far better than I ever have in my life since I started Aikido. I don't know if it's the physical exhaustion (doubtful, since I sleep better on nights I don't train) or if it's the mental clarity. Aikido for me is a serious stress-reliever, so I usually assume it's because of that.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

I had a bizarre dream last night...everyone had left the dojo, so I had to take down the buki racks myself. Not quite a nightmare, though.

As to sleep quality...well, breathing (which I've thought about much more since starting aikido) seems to really help. I now try to just lie on my back (nice breathing posture, though not how I naturally sleep) for like 15 minutes before going to sleep, focusing on deep inhaling/exhaling. I reccommend this, though I can't say what the actual benefits may be, aside from relaxation and breathing practice.

Last edited by Paul Sanderson-Cimino : 05-03-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote:
I had a bizarre dream last night...everyone had left the dojo, so I had to take down the buki racks myself. Not quite a nightmare, though.

As to sleep quality...well, breathing (which I've thought about much more since starting aikido) seems to really help. I now try to just lie on my back (nice breathing posture, though not how I naturally sleep) for like 15 minutes before going to sleep, focusing on deep inhaling/exhaling. I reccommend this, though I can't say what the actual benefits may be, aside from relaxation and breathing practice.

Just oxygenating your bloodstream is always a healthy and invigorating thing to do. I wonder if there is a relaxing benifit as well? Since deep breathing is a wonderful precurser to sleep for me as well.
Science anyone? (just a friendly sidetrack to this thread)

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Interesting, I've never thought about it. Honestly I haven't noticed any differnce myself. I'm pretty exhausted when I go to bed. Grad school, full time work, aikido, and still requiring a socail life of some sort can be pretty tiring ya know?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 AM   #7
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

"Sometime during my sleep, I will experiance "sleep paralysis""

Everyone experiences sleep paralysis. Do you mean you're becoming conscious while your still paralyized, unable to move? It's happened to me a few times and it was kinda freaky. It was like i was having a half nightmare / half reality while unable to move. I was laying in bed imagining someone trying to come through my door. I was trying to scream but i couldn't because my body wouldn't move. It is definitly a freaky situation.

I can say that it's happened more to me after i started aikido than before. But I don't think i can remember it ever happening particularly after practice or anything. How many times has it happened?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 05-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #8
Mark Balogh
Dojo: Mushinkan Dojo, Guildford
England

I don't get nightmares, but I am too hyped up usually to fall asleep straight away. I teach so there are lots of things spinning around in my head, hindsight stuff, which I try and clear through meditation as I lie down. I get home about 10:30pm and it usually takes me an hour to drop off to sleep. Some maybe what I'm saying is "you aren't the only one", and "has anyone got over my problem!!!!"
Old 05-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #9
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

We didnt train last night due to the bank holiday and so I sat up till 3am wasting my time on the net, something feels like its missing when I dont train but I dont think ive been conscious of sleep paralysis, that does sound freaky...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Mark Balogh wrote:
"has anyone got over my problem!!!!"
I'm over your problem

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
Mark Balogh
Dojo: Mushinkan Dojo, Guildford
England

:lol: Well my friend, do tell me the secret cure!!! :lol:
Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Last night, I dreamed aikido. I'm pretty sure I was practicing the wrist locks we had done in class that night, since I woke up feeling like I understood them better than I had before I went to sleep.

Yeah, I do stuff like this. One time I had a temporary job as a secretary and dreamed that I was memorizing telephone extensions. Got up, went to work, knew more of the phone list than I had the day before.

What can I say?
Heather
Old 05-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

I wonder if there is something else connected to heavier training: a change in when you eat, a chance in electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium), etc?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States

Last week I was taking an afternoon nap (there are nights where there's only 5 hours between work and class, so naps are essential), and I started dreaming about aikido class. Sure enough, I woke up 15 minutes late for practice.

At least the dream was timely. Sigh.

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:54 PM   #15
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States

yeah. In our dojo, we after class we have to mark down how many hours we've trained. There are 2 books marked 有級者(yukyuusha) and 有段者(yudansha). Anyways, I had this crazy dream where I had to write my hours in a book marked 油断者 (also pronounced yudansha, but the meaning of the second yudan is to make a careless or stupid mistake)

so I don't know if it was an aikido nightmare or a learning japanese nightmare