Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
The techniques of Budo Renshuu #50-60

For about a year or so now I've been working with the material from Budo Renshuu. Budo Renshuu was published in 1933, and is one of the earliest documents on Ueshiba (and Inoue)'s Aiki budo. These techniques give us a very early look at the foundation that was to become Aikido.

This material is not easy to get through, and finding video examples, or other written work is difficult. As far as I've found no one in recent times that has gone through this material. So I thought I would share the work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHjl1...ature=youtu.be

This is from the Kata Dori section (techniques 49-60) There is only one techniques missing from the kata dori section, and if I would have been thinking a little more when I shot these I would have included it. Never the less, this is most of the Kata Dori section.

I've now gone through all of the techniques in the book (166 of them) at least once. Some sections I'm becoming quite familiar with. Although because of the vagueness of the book, it's sometimes hard to get exactly what is happening with the technique. This is a rough video I made, just to see how the techniques were starting to look. It was awesome to see some of the techniques jump off the page and come to life again.

Hope you enjoy. And if you have any experience with any of the techniques in the book, I would love to hear from you. Deciphering exactly how these techniques are suppose to look is a challenge!

Enjoy.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: The techniques of Budo Renshuu #50-60

Cool.

#51 is a koshinage? I had thought that the koshi throws didn't actually come from the Founder. Not so?

Did Budo Renshu not specify footwork for #50? I learned it with crossover footwork you're not showing there.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
ChrisHein

United_States

#51 There are several koshi nage's in budo renshuu.

You know, I think you might be right about #50. My translation says "advancing from this left foot, steps in to the enemy's rear with this right leg and extends this right elbow toward the front of the enemy's neck"

A cross over step would make sense there. And would fit the description- Thanks Hugh!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Michael Varin
United_States

Hey. For the impromptu nature, those didn't turn out bad!

Technique #54, shiho nage with ushiro eri dori assist, is a powerful technique. I have good ukemi and seldom feel frightened during techniques, no matter how hard I am being thrown. In the videos, Chris wasn't throwing particularly hard, but I will say that I felt my cranium heading towards the ground in a way that I found somewhat alarming.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Cool.

#51 is a koshinage? I had thought that the koshi throws didn't actually come from the Founder. Not so?

Did Budo Renshu not specify footwork for #50? I learned it with crossover footwork you're not showing there.
There is a interview with Saito where he claims that koshinage was one of Ueshiba´s favored waza. I think that it was the more koshi guruma-like koshinage with feet together that Nishio introduced to hombu.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium

When I watched the videoclip I saw a strong similarity with techniques from Tomiki's Aikido Koryu no kata. It is said the koryu no kata is based upon techniques learned by Kenji Tomiki and Hideo Ohba at Ueshiba's dojo. Btw it seems KenJi Tomiki was involved in editing this book.

Just a thought,
Eddy
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:
Eddy Wolput wrote: View Post
When I watched the videoclip I saw a strong similarity with techniques from Tomiki's Aikido Koryu no kata. It is said the koryu no kata is based upon techniques learned by Kenji Tomiki and Hideo Ohba at Ueshiba's dojo. Btw it seems KenJi Tomiki was involved in editing this book.

Just a thought,
Eddy
I've spent a lot of time watching video of Ueshiba, Inoue, and Shirata, but I didn't think to look at the koru no kata from Tomiki. Even though that would make perfect sense. I'll check some of that out tonight.

There are lot's of things in these techniques that are a part of modern Aikido. But there are so interesting differences. They've been fun to work with.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
ewolput
Belgium

Hideo Ohba and Takeshi Inoue performing old style aikido
http://youtu.be/LZ0Z37Gc4UM

Eddy
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Very interesting.

What struck me was how they alternated left-right-left-right grips. My limited experience with Shodokan-style training had a very strong bias towards right-handed attacks (both grips and strikes). Is that typical? If so, is it a recent development?

Alex
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
ewolput
Belgium

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Very interesting.

What struck me was how they alternated left-right-left-right grips. My limited experience with Shodokan-style training had a very strong bias towards right-handed attacks (both grips and strikes). Is that typical? If so, is it a recent development?

Alex
There are different groups operating under the name Tomiki Aikido or Shodokan Aikido. The koryu no kata of Tomiki Aikido are formalised by Hideo Ohba and his students. Kenji Tomiki was only involved in the 3rd and 4th set. There are 6 sets or koryu no kata. Most of the Shodokan people are focusing on 3rd and 4th set, of course there are exceptions. Some people say there is "Old School" and "New School". New School is Shodokan and JAA-groups which had ties in the past with Shodokan.
Old School are people who kept Tomiki's and Ohba's teaching inclusive the 6 koryu no kata. In the old school it is normal to practice both sides. I believe this is the same in new school, although some clubs maybe only do righthanded. According the grading syllabus you have to do it both sides.
At this moment some groups in the JAA are researching classical Kodokan Judo kata, because in the past the link between judo and aikido was much closer.

Just a thought,
Eddy
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
There are different groups operating under the name Tomiki Aikido or Shodokan Aikido. The koryu no kata of Tomiki Aikido are formalised by Hideo Ohba and his students. Kenji Tomiki was only involved in the 3rd and 4th set. There are 6 sets or koryu no kata. Most of the Shodokan people are focusing on 3rd and 4th set, of course there are exceptions. Some people say there is "Old School" and "New School". New School is Shodokan and JAA-groups which had ties in the past with Shodokan.
Old School are people who kept Tomiki's and Ohba's teaching inclusive the 6 koryu no kata. In the old school it is normal to practice both sides. I believe this is the same in new school, although some clubs maybe only do righthanded. According the grading syllabus you have to do it both sides.
At this moment some groups in the JAA are researching classical Kodokan Judo kata, because in the past the link between judo and aikido was much closer.

Just a thought,
Eddy
Thanks, Eddy.

The group I used to train with (a long time ago!) were BAA, who I am fairly sure were JAA affiliates, so I would guess you would class them as "new school". They also had a strong focus on shiai rather than kata, which would probably explain the right-hand bias.

Alex
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
chillzATL
United_States

Nice video Chris! With the exception of 51 and 60, all of those techniques (or an extremely close variation) are commonly practiced in our style. You'll see people do that type of koshi (51), but that's not the type of koshi we typically practice. I don't recall ever seeing 60 practiced as a technique, but you see people end up in that position often enough. About the only thing we do different really is adding some movement to stretch uke out a bit first, get them off their center a bit so that they're not standing right over their base. Good job though, you always do good vids.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

51 is pretty close to this one: http://youtu.be/HoL1zQR88KI?t=3m53s
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
HA! I've never seen Saito do that variation. Cool!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Nice video Chris! With the exception of 51 and 60, all of those techniques (or an extremely close variation) are commonly practiced in our style. You'll see people do that type of koshi (51), but that's not the type of koshi we typically practice. I don't recall ever seeing 60 practiced as a technique, but you see people end up in that position often enough. About the only thing we do different really is adding some movement to stretch uke out a bit first, get them off their center a bit so that they're not standing right over their base. Good job though, you always do good vids.
Thanks Jason. I think 60 is pretty interesting, I've not seen it done in Aikido before. There are more interesting throws coming in the other sections. It's neat to me to see, when we compare our different Aikido styles, which of these techniques were favored by different instructors and made it in their system, but other ones that seem strange and our particular style doesn't do them at all. It's fun. It's like looking at pictures of our grandparents and saying "oh, you have uncle bob's nose".. HA!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Alfonso

hey Chris, have you seen the Kajo series yet?

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:
Alfonso Adriasola wrote: View Post
Are you talking about this ? I haven't given it a very serious look yet. Maybe I'll check it out today. Thanks

Last edited by ChrisHein : 02-05-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:

Eddy
Hey Eddy,

Thanks for the link! That was a fun watch, and again I saw things from there that I didn't learn in my own Aikido training, but are in 'BR' (Budo Renshuu). Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Bjorn Saw, uke in that clip, now teaches in London:

http://aikidoalive.co.uk/London/Welcome.html

He has some nice videos on Youtube.

Robert
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Alfonso

Yeah, since you're working on recreating "Budo", this seems to be a nice additional layer of information.
Nice video.

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #21
Leonaiki

Quote:
Alfonso Adriasola wrote: View Post
Very interesting point Alfonso because Chris' awesome work (sincerely) fits quite well with the Kajo structure. Eg, shiho nage done on the IPPO axis but one by one, I think we could find many similarities.

Once you have that structure in mind, it seems kinda obvious but I guess one needs to read the Kajo series to have it in mind.

That leads to one conclusion in my opinion: O sensei in the 30ies had already created a system which stemmed from Daito but was already quite different - unless of course, the many techniques of Daito are organized on the kajo cross, which I never heard or read anywhere.

It also explains the proximity wih Tomiki / Shodokan Aikido...

I'd love to watch more...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
Rob Watson
United_States

About a year or so ago Stan posted this which shows another variation on the #60 throw
http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2013/0...tanley-pranin/

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
For about a year or so now I've been working with the material from Budo Renshuu. Budo Renshuu was published in 1933, and is one of the earliest documents on Ueshiba (and Inoue)'s Aiki budo. These techniques give us a very early look at the foundation that was to become Aikido.

This material is not easy to get through, and finding video examples, or other written work is difficult. As far as I've found no one in recent times that has gone through this material. So I thought I would share the work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHjl1...ature=youtu.be

This is from the Kata Dori section (techniques 49-60) There is only one techniques missing from the kata dori section, and if I would have been thinking a little more when I shot these I would have included it. Never the less, this is most of the Kata Dori section.

I've now gone through all of the techniques in the book (166 of them) at least once. Some sections I'm becoming quite familiar with. Although because of the vagueness of the book, it's sometimes hard to get exactly what is happening with the technique. This is a rough video I made, just to see how the techniques were starting to look. It was awesome to see some of the techniques jump off the page and come to life again.

Hope you enjoy. And if you have any experience with any of the techniques in the book, I would love to hear from you. Deciphering exactly how these techniques are suppose to look is a challenge!

Enjoy.
I've been working through these as well. They are a challenge - like little puzzles sometimes. I'll have to get the book in front of me and go slowly through your video to see if your "solutions" are the same as mine. The video looks pretty good IMHO.

BTW - shaved head and black gi look pretty badass! ;-)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
I've been working through these as well. They are a challenge - like little puzzles sometimes. I'll have to get the book in front of me and go slowly through your video to see if your "solutions" are the same as mine. The video looks pretty good IMHO.

BTW - shaved head and black gi look pretty badass! ;-)
Thanks. Yeah, I feel the same way. Making the video has been great, because with the book in front of me I can more easily see where I may be making mistakes, and miss an atemi or something. It's really hard to go through the technique with a partner, try and decipher what the book is saying, and then try and do it again. The video makes it a little easier. I've also found so many things that seem to be mistakes. Like the instructions saying to move to Uke's right, but the picture shows moving to the left. It's hard to know if there is a movement I'm misunderstanding or if it's just an editing mistake.

From what I understand these books where hand copied, so there are differences. I wrote Pranin Sensei and asked him if he knew how many copies were known to exist, and who had them. He said he didn't know.

I would also love to see all of the Noma Dojo pictures, I think those might help to shed some more light. And if you haven't yet checked out Aikido Densho you should, there is a PDF on Aikido Journal. Some of those pictures help to better show what is going on. There is not a translation of Aikido Densho that I know of, but I've had some of my students do rough translations for me, and the instructions sound much more clear as well.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #25
NagaBaba

Hi Chris,
This is a good project.
I saw N.Tamura sensei and S.Sugano sensei doing most of those techniques quite often, so we are familiar with them. If you don't mind few general comments:
1. In the moment of the contact the attacker is not unbalanced.
2.You are literally catching attacking hand with your one hand when attacker is doing shomen uchi -- it is very …how should I say in polite way….simplistic If you watch 1935 video of O sensei, he is always cutting attacker's attack.
3. I don't believe that O sensei did ANY technique without atemi -- in your video it is not really visible…

Once you apply these three points, the techniques will start to have some martial dimensions.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo