Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: The Use of Atemi (Striking) in Aikido by George S. Ledyard

Discuss the article, "The Use of Atemi (Striking) in Aikido" by George S. Ledyard here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/gledyard/2004_08.html
Old 08-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Article: The Use of Atemi (Striking) in Aikido by George S. Ledyard

Great comments George. The pain compliance part is very important since there are many with vital or pressure points that simply don't react. With others, you can move them all over the place with slight pressure or significantly alter their posture with a light strike.

I would also suggest expanding the definition to include anything (pressure, brush, pinch, etc.) that alters the uke's posture making the application of technique easier or more effective.

In addition to aikidoka training to primarily utilize atemi that is distractive, they also are not trained to see the atemi spots in a technique. In researching my article and my survey for it, I found a lot of comments that aikidoka felt that applying atemi was potentially disruptive of the flow of energy/ki of the technique. While that may be true in some cases, atemi's can be applied as part of the flow of the technique with disruption of energy and in fact as an amplification of the energy.

Good thread.

P.S. I'm still awaiting Black Belt Magazine giving me a publication date (been about a year). They were supposed to publish my atemi article in August's issue, which has long passed.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Jason Haines
Dojo: San Diego Jiai Aikido
United_States

Great article covering many perspectives. I would also like to add, that Yoshinkan aikido concurs in OSensei's teaching and use of atemi. Gozo Shioda and Yasuhisa Shioda quote OSensei in their book, "Total Aikido: The Master Course", that "In a real battle, atemi is 70%, technique is 30%."

In the dojo, we focus more on the technique in order to learn the proper ways to control our bodies, develop effective ways of using our power and center.
But for many aikidoka, they may say, I never will experience 'real battle'. Fact and point taken. However, for many others, those that do live in violent neighborhoods or serve in military or law enforcement, atemi may play greater importance or require greater usage, when attacked by someone of trained skills or exceeding aggression (when gentle technique is not enough).

As a military officer and aikidoka, use of atemi is part of our training, however, there is a strong difference in the use and strength of the atemi. In real combat, focused power of atemi will be exceedingly powerful, just as technique. But reality is, less than 5% of military members ever see true combat in the hand-to-hand form, but we are prepared. What 90% of military members in their careers WILL experience, is some sort of guard duty, sentry duty, security patrol, shore patrol, Naval or Military Police, riot control, deployed in support of Peace Keeping/Peace Enforcement/Humanitarian Operations. In these cases, likelihood of an event to require the use of physical force to subdue an aggressor/attacker/thief/other assailant is possible. Principles of Aikido are essential, not only in technique, but also philosophically, in order to 'preserve life'. Physical force may become required, but the application of that power, the use of atemi, may very well be required with technique, but perhaps more subtly (lesser power) much like the "no strike-strike", in order to preserve life and protect the attacker.

In short, atemi should not be disregarded as "none aikido", it "is aikido". It help counter, help find balance, may dissolve the assailants hostility and show another choice needs to be made. It also opens up weakness or vulnerabilities when taking Ukemi.
The strength and focus of the atemi, is purely up to you, and your partner(s), hopefully the principles of aikido compliment the usage.
But these are just my humble thoughts, of what little I know.
Humbly,
Jason Haines
Old 11-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands

Hello George,

I think the article has good points.
I have a Taekwondo background (3rd dan) and started aikido 10 years ago.
I see the (lack of) use of atemi as a very important thing.
At least when things get a little static. In the dynamic forms you can unbalance your partner pritty wll by using circular movements.
One point is very difficult though: I know how to hit someone and what the impact is of this hit. But if someone has not done any martial art they don't know how to strike. What are your thoughts on teaching students how to strike?
In my opinion your thirt way: the not striking of striking is the best way for aikido. But you have to teach students to react to it if it were the second one (A Strike as a Means to Facilitate Another Technique).
This was the experience I had last monday when I taught a class about atemi using your points. The students (me including) liked it very much.
Are there particular techniques you use for lessons about atemi?

Greetings,

Arjan de Vries
Netherlands
Old 11-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
jxa127

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
P.S. I'm still awaiting Black Belt Magazine giving me a publication date (been about a year). They were supposed to publish my atemi article in August's issue, which has long passed.
Hi John,

Thanks for the update. I've been looking for the article, and wondered why I couldn't find it.

----
-Drew Ames
Old 11-26-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
aikidoc
United_States

Last check they were still going to publish it. I guess that's better than the Journal of Asian Martial Arts who told me they were going to publish it then waited over a year and told me I had to rewrite it. Ticked me off so I pulled it.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Our article in the November '04 issue was waiting for two years. Be patient. Remind them you are there. I look forward to reading yours.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
aikidoc
United_States

Thanks Lynn-that makes me feel better. At least I'll look younger when it gets published than I am . I know I have already been promoted once since it was submitted. Good thing the next one is a long ways off.