Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2002, 06:54 AM   #1
Doshu
Dojo: Ki Federation
Aikido and the Ninja

As a former practioner of Ninjutsu it is one of those Martial Arts that demands great respect. As it has many schools and many techniques. Weapons are introduced virtually on the first lesson. Their Ki Training is later on and only really focused on at Dan level.

However I was reading a General Martial Arts book by Peter Lewis, I think he is a TKD person. However he was giving his very well poor opinions on all martial arts. He also said that an Aikidoka could not throw and Ninja as they would be able to role out of every move. However he failed to notice that all Aikido "forms" of which roles are a part finsh on ones front. I would like to see Mr Lewis roll from his front. Obviously there would be a considerable amount of distortion of his back which would probably lead to death. However, this is not a Ninpo bashing thread. I would like to know you fine peoples opinion on this.

All the best

Chris

Master the Divine
Old 06-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Aikido and the Ninja

Quote:
Originally posted by Doshu
However he was giving his very well poor opinions on all martial arts.I would like to know you fine peoples opinion on this.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, even if I don't agree. That's my opinion. I have studied other arts too. Everyone thinks they have "the" art. All have had their weaknesses and their strengths. Just train in what feels right for you.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-29-2002, 08:51 AM   #3
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I have a good friend and student of mine who is a nidan in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I have all the respect in the world for these "ninja". They are great people in an art that can be traced back 34 generations, and they don't take themselves too seriously.

In fact, O'Sensei shows up in the list of students training for the disseminator (Toda Sensei) of one of their ryu (Togakure ryu).

I'm a firm believer that an art may only be as good as the practitioner that you run in to. So, if your first impression of an art is from a very good practitioner...you will think it is a good art, and vice versa.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 06-29-2002, 09:09 AM   #4
Doshu
Dojo: Ki Federation
I dont mean to say that Ninpo is better or worse than Aikido. However the point I was trying to make was that Ninpo practioners can throw Aikidoka just in the same way that Aikidoka can throw Ninja's. I have many good friends that study Bujinkan. I was not knocking it in any way.

Refering to Peter Lewis however he is in no position to comment on Ninpo or Aikido having studied neither.

Many Thanks for your input.

Cheers Chris

Master the Divine