Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #26
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: cross training

Quote:
Daniel Hulley wrote:
I am thinking of taking an jujitsu class once a week in addition to my two aikido classes, I was wondering if people think this is a good idea, or a bad idea? also if anyone has any experience with somthing like this.
thanks
Cross training is a good idea, especially if you are interested in both arts. You are better off having a better idea of what's out there. Other than that, you may find that what you get out of it is other than what you expected. I say, go for it!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:28 AM   #27
Kung Fu Liane

Tai Chi works well, and if you can find a Pa Qua teacher that'd be good too as it's all about the circles

A bit of Kung Fu / Wu Shu may help with weapons work...

Aikido: a martial art which allows you to defeat your enemy without hurting him, unless of course he doesn't know how to breakfall in which case he will shatter every bone in his body when he lands. Also known as Origami with people
Old 02-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #28
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

While a good background in punching and kicking is helpful, I currently prefer cross-train other aikido classes, not necessarily but also other styles. Training with other fellows, other intructructors/explanation, other behaviour (not only etiquette). There are difficulties to master, but for me it seems to help. (3rd kyu level)

Dirk
Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 AM   #29
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

But if training in a slightly different aikido is confusing, wouldn't training in something completely different be even more so, atleast for a beginner?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #30
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Roy Klein wrote:
But if training in a slightly different aikido is confusing, wouldn't training in something completely different be even more so, atleast for a beginner?
Well, Roy, if someone gets confused, I would recommend to stop cross training until he is firm enough in one art.

And directly to your question, it is very difficult to generalise.

For example when I was at school most people did not have problems having maths in one class and history right in the next one, unless they had generally problems with one of them. They are both totally different.
Some people had problems with two different foreign languages directly one after the other, some had problems with maths and physics one after the other, while other students did not face those problems.
So just an idea is that totally different things do not interfere. If they are similar and you have significant problems, you might get confused by too similar environments. If you are doing good in one a similar one could help improving your knowledge in both.

Back to MA. Again, if one faces serious problems, he/she should not multiply them by cross training. If not one should look what is missing, what is lacking. I would recommend any kihon waza (basic technical skills), if you feel you are missing something ("I need kicks") or if you feel, your attacks are not trained well in your aikido class, but need improvement.

Fighting in judo, karate, ju jutsu or kung fu, arnis, bjj, etc. is mostly fine, while I would not comment fighting in competition or preparation for championships. But which one is good or not depends on each one's personality.

And it is a totally different discussion, if someone asks for something additional because of only few aikido classes in the local dojo - as it is here if I recall right - or if one could practise aikido 7 days a week, twice or three times a day, but asks if he/she should add something different.

Dirk
Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #31
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

My take on this topic is simple. Yes get as much cross training as you can. to be well rounded tis exelent. I train in Aikido, Taekwondo and Jujitsu, (soon to be mudukkwan). and it works for me. It is realy interesting to me to see different views on diferent martail arts. The people i meet are wonderful and the instructors i interact with are great. when you go in just relax, dont worry about belts or a nother art. just listen and watch. I think you will find great satisfaction in learning more then one art.

Royce Gracie is the man, and he is going to prove it when he fights mat hughes.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #32
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

thanks again for all the input

Dan Hulley
Old 02-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #33
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Roy Klein wrote:
Not necessarily. When I first did Aikido, I had been doing karate for about a year and a half; I didn't experience any "confusion," ie drop back with a downward block when I should have tenkaned. If anything, a pivot we did with the inward black HELPED my tenkan, so much so that when he introduced it to the class I was in, Sensei spent about 20 seconds staring at my feet, repeating, "I can't believe you're not having any trouble with it."

I don't think it would be a major problem -- more a minor annoyance. If you want to do something in addition to Aikdo, DO IT! The only obstacles are time, money, and static from one or more of your instructors. If you have the time, you can afford it, and none of your teachers is going to throw you out for doing something different, then go for it!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #34
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

My aikido group shares space with two Tai Kwon Do schools. I like to think I'm a pretty skilled aikidoka, but I want to know some other stuff. I'm gonna get to hang out with my friends more by taking class with them, but I'm not looking forward to learning korean.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 02-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #35
Johan Nielsen
Faroe Islands

Bad idea. You will get confused and the reflexes you develop in one art will make it harder to learn the other. Trust me, I did ju justu for along time and then switched over to aikido. It was so easy to see the similarities but very hard to adjust to what you did at what class.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:31 AM   #36
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

Your responses and various opinions helped me too, thanks!
I think I'll finish up my month at the yoshinkan dojo and see if I can adjust my schedule to take more Aikikai.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:39 AM   #37
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Cross training is great as long as you hold one idea in the back of your mind firmly, Progress comes from the inner development of a "martial body/spirit" from which all techniques originate, so the path is one of throwing away what we have used to arrive there, not endlessly gaining more half understood tricks. Whilst still in the process of "what if this or that?" then cross training can often have an appeal to what is lacking in our deep understanding of the art we practise, rather than in the art itself. Technically there is no system that contains all needed for combat, but all genuine arts contain a path for going beyond techniques if we have the wisdom and stamina to follow it.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #38
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

Again i feel this is a topic that can only be solved by crtain poeple. People react diferently. for me Being good in one makes me better in the other. Again its up to the person. If you feel you are able to train in multi arts then go for it.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #39
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Johan Martensson wrote:
Bad idea. You will get confused and the reflexes you develop in one art will make it harder to learn the other ....
I never had that problem; I think that if it doesn happen, it's overstated. The word "confused" makes it sound as if you show up and have no idea where you are. I doubt that happens in any serious way. And even then, it's momentary. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #40
Keith R Lee
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
I never had that problem; I think that if it doesn happen, it's overstated. The word "confused" makes it sound as if you show up and have no idea where you are. I doubt that happens in any serious way. And even then, it's momentary. I wouldn't worry about it.
Agreed.

Keith Lee
Old 12-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #41
Velvet Underground
Dojo: Oakland, Ca
United_States

So are you still training in Jiu jitsu?