Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #76
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Is Aikiweb an open Aikido Forum ? Or is it a

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

Take it easy, I am sure there have been a few `` Dear Jun `` letters already The clique will get you sooner rather than later ...

Henry Ellis
Aikido Controversy
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
I'm a bit worried Sensei, there's all this fluffy stuff appearing at the bottom of my left trouser leg?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #77
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Ellis Sensei,

I doubt that Jun will be terribly moved by "Dear Jun" complaint letters. If he thinks someone is misbehaving, he will address it without urging. YMMV.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #78
Brian R. Scott
Dojo: Aikido of Tamalpais/Corte Madera CA
United_States

Tony,

have you ever checked out http://www.bullshido.net/forums/ . ?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #79
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Brian Scott wrote: View Post
Tony,

He's going to get loved tenderly there.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #80
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Brian Scott wrote: View Post
Tony,

Yeah when I need a good laugh, cry, or I'm at a loose end, or laid up, but that is rare... haven't for some time, time factor..... One of the reasons my post are short as I can keep 'em
Yeah some good wind ups there, but not all the time, I look at MP sometimes, it much depends on what catches my eye, sometimes there is good stuff on BullS, but I'm not very good at filtering through all the effing and blinding, which I get enough of everyday from cabbies, arse hole joe public and so forth..... such is life.....

whoops no insult to Joe, he's a very nice man....

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #81
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
He's going to get loved tenderly there.
Like the joke about why choirboys have a parting down the middle of their hair Eh?......

Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #82
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Ellis Sensei,

I doubt that Jun will be terribly moved by "Dear Jun" complaint letters. If he thinks someone is misbehaving, he will address it without urging. YMMV.
Michael

Just my humour
I know full well that Jun is fair and on the ball at all times.

Take care

Henry Ellis
Aikido Controversy
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/

Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #83
John Ianus
Canada
Smile Re: Is Aikiweb an open Aikido Forum ? Or is it a

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe that public disapproval of antisocial behavior is the most effective way to stop it. In bullying situations, if the bully's victim is the only one who ever says something, everyone believes that the victim is standing alone -- because, well, it's the truth. It's when others publicly express their disapproval of the antisocial behavior and their support for its victim, in a way that the bully, the victim, and everyone else sees it, that things change. The famous words of Martin Neimoller come to mind here.
what happens when the alleged disapproval of antisocial behavior rapidly escalates into bullying by a predictable clique? that seems to be the problem discussed. whether you always seem to think you're right doesn't change the fact really.

Pink Floyd's "Animals" comes to mind.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #84
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Tony:

There are many different groups of Aikidoka and other martial artists from a variety of disciplines who both frequent and participate on the Aikiweb forum. Jun has done a remarkably good job in managing this forum. He has set parameters governing the nature of discussions. He moderates in a manner that he believes is as in impartial and as fair as possible. You obviously believe otherwise, but your position stands in marked contrast to the larger reality of the forum.

If you feel so slighted, then why do you still frequent the forum? Why don't you create your own? Personally speaking, you claim very little ownership for the predicament that you place yourself in. What you call humor is frequently thinly veiled disdain for positions other than your own. If no one has told you, please allow me to be the first one to tell you that humor works best amongst friends (as opposed to people whom you disagree with their positions on things). You are anything but open-minded. When people have graciously provided you with opportunities to experience something potentially different, valid and martial, you either respond by saying that it is nonsense or you already do it.

Using your own tongue-in-cheek descriptor from another thread, the effluent neighborhood that is your life has been and is your own creation. Your complaints about the stink around you has more to do with the world that you created for yourself and how you see it, than is really out there. A small clue to this larger reality can be seen in that you can acknowledge some "common ground" with the likes of Ledyard Sensei and Dan Harden.

Instead of seeking some self-reflection and personal change during your time-out from this forum, you seem to have accumulated a lot of frustration and anger and you are now expressing in your posts directed at everybody accept yourself.

Marc Abrams
Dear Marc

You seem to have an aggressive and condescending style in this forum. Why all this aggression??

Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #85
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
"The things that pass for knowledge, I don't understand."

Of course, that doesn't mean it's not knowledge. It only means that the speaker doesn't understand.

As for people rambling on about the ins and outs of such and such, without getting to the point....maybe you're just not paying enough attention to appreciate the subtle points they're making. In any case, you have recourse to the Ignore button as well as everyone else does. So rather than being so judgmental ("eventually arrive there after much rear wind..."), why don't you just skip those posts or ignore the poster?

You're going to have to be specific, Tony. Whose aikido is becoming a "martial fart"? I hear this complaint a lot and I do understand that "some people's aikido" was never anything but flatulence. But it's wrong to label aikido itself that way because aikido itself has never changed. There's only the question of whether one has ever entered that "do" or is only imitating an appearance they saw somewhere. But if you're saying that aikido as it is generally taught has become something like that, then you need to provide examples, rather than just state your opinion. Otherwise, it's not really a statement at all, but just a blanket insult. And that never wins much acceptance. So where is this aikido that you perceive to be degenerating? How do you know it's degenerating?

As he great scientific genius Richard Feynman said, "What do you care what others think?" The last "fighting" type guy I dealt with, I stood in front of him in a natural stance and said, "Attack any way you want." I had no trouble dealing with his attack.

Have you ever heard that saying "Fools hear of the tao and laugh out loud"?

It's from Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu, section 41. I recommend it for you, especially. The quote ends, "If there were no laughter, the tao would not be what it is."

Yes. The famous "they".

Who are you talking about, Tony? Who is it that wonders why their "aikido" does not work to protect them?

I don't know of anyone in aikido who has had that complaint except people who gave up early because they thought they were already masters and knew how to "fix" an art they had never deeply studied.

But you seem to know some specific people with that complaint. So please share with us who they are and under what circumstances their aikido failed them. Or have you, maybe, spoken from a source other than "reality"?

What you say there is really no different from what I've heard far and wide, though you vary in how you define the terms. You deride others for not being "martial" even though you've never met them and usually haven't even seen them work.

I don't differentiate between "health" and "self-defense" as the nature of aikido encompasses both. The fact that you even perceive a difference indicates that you don't understand either side terribly well. There's nothing better for health than real aikido. And there's nothing better for self-defense, in my opinion.

That may be, but you implicitly tell us that you, yourself, are under no illusions, while everyone reading your posts (maybe only 99%) definitely perceive someone who is deep in the throes of delusion.

Tony...we have seen your video. If we watch that by the standards you have presented, we can't judge it very well. It certainly appears to be cooperative and very dance-like. Plus, all your ukes are kids. We don't see you operating with any full adults or any black belts. Last time I demonstrated, a few weeks ago, I had two men as ukes, each with twenty years of martial arts training--one being an avid student of Jeet Kune Do, the other with a long background in Chinese martial arts. Maybe I'm inclined to think you're doing a martial dance? Maybe you are in no position to judge anyone else's aikido?

Because of all this you get resistance from every side (except Henry, who's never met you, and Graham Christian, who resists no one). But you answer everyone with insults (except Henry).

Really, of everyone on this board, you seem to get out and get around least of all. Pretty much everyone who posts here gets around to seminars and meets other people and experiences other styles and teachers. From your posts, I get the impression that you haven't done anything like that in over 25 years. Have you?

The point is, you're making unsupported, general dismissals of thousands of people you've never met and have never seen. And yet you wonder why people seem to be closed to you and why you keep getting suspended from the forums.

Well, that's why.

In tao.

David
I find it quite weird that you criticize Tony for not being specific while your own post contains a huge assemblage of general insults and patronizing comments. Hypocrisy??

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #86
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
I find it quite weird that you criticize Tony for not being specific while your own post contains a huge assemblage of general insults and patronizing comments. Hypocrisy??
Why do you find it useful to this forum to resurrect a long dead thread solely to criticize participants?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #87
akiy

Stefan, let's try to keep feedback in the future to not be so personal, please.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread