Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
chris87
England
Looking for a Yoshinkan Dojo??

Hey guys i currently live in rotherham south Yorkshire UK and im really wanting to start yoshinkan style aikido nearest one i can find is in Nottingham and its like an hour run and just wondering if anyone knows a dojo nearer i currently been training for 6 months under a organisation called shobu aikido which is affiliated by the aikikai and if im honest its not really for me but it has been my stepping stone into the martial art

if anyone has any info i would really appreciate it

many thanks
chris
Old 01-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
chris87
England
Re: Looking for a Yoshinkan Dojo??

or any clubs that maybe opening in the near future

thanks guys
Old 01-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Are Belper, Melton Mowbray or Stafford anywhere near you? There are schools there.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Steven,

Happy New Year!

Alas, Melton Mowbray, Stafford are further way from Rotherham than Nottingham. Belper is also close to the motorway, but it is still quite a hike from Rotherham.

In the days when I was in England, Yoshinkan and the Aikikai had a very good and amicable relationship (M Kanetsuka, from the Aikikai, was uke for Shioda Kancho when he was at university -- they both attended the same university and so had a strong sempai / kohai relationship) and the two Japanese instructors running the respective organizations were good friends and met frequently. This was over 30 years ago and I do not know what the situation is like now. I know that Yoshinkan dojo are more thinly spread in the UK than the Aikikai. One possibility is for the OP to look for an Aikikai dojo that is closer in training ethos to Yoshinkan than his present dojo while he looks for something permanent.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-06-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
chris87
England

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote: View Post
Are Belper, Melton Mowbray or Stafford anywhere near you? There are schools there.
Hi Steve thanks for that but they are a bit too far from me dont get me wrong i do like what i do but im after something a bit harder i initially wanted to learn daito ryu but ive got more chance finding a hen with teeth than finding one of their dojos and i read up that yoshinkan was the style close enough to the old routes of aikido.

i just don't understand why such a popular style is so far and few between in the UK

thanks
chris
Old 01-06-2016, 03:46 AM   #6
chris87
England

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Steven,

Happy New Year!

Alas, Melton Mowbray, Stafford are further way from Rotherham than Nottingham. Belper is also close to the motorway, but it is still quite a hike from Rotherham.

In the days when I was in England, Yoshinkan and the Aikikai had a very good and amicable relationship (M Kanetsuka, from the Aikikai, was uke for Shioda Kancho when he was at university -- they both attended the same university and so had a strong sempai / kohai relationship) and the two Japanese instructors running the respective organizations were good friends and met frequently. This was over 30 years ago and I do not know what the situation is like now. I know that Yoshinkan dojo are more thinly spread in the UK than the Aikikai. One possibility is for the OP to look for an Aikikai dojo that is closer in training ethos to Yoshinkan than his present dojo while he looks for something permanent.

Best wishes,
thats an idea how do i find an aikikai dojo closer to the yoshinkan style?

thanks
chris
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #7
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Christian Brownlow wrote: View Post
thats an idea how do i find an aikikai dojo closer to the yoshinkan style?

thanks
chris
Hello,

I think you will need to do some searching. There several organizations in the UK recognized by the Aikikai, but the type / colour / flavour of aikido they practice is heavily influenced by the original Japanese instructor. For example, the Shobu Aikido organization is heavily influenced by Tamura Nobuyoshi Shihan and Pierre Chassang. I have never met Mr Forbes, but I was acquainted with Mr Chassang and knew Tamura Shihan quite well. When I lived in England, my main influence was from Kazuo Chiba and M Kanetsuka before he had his illness in 1986. He changed his aikido considerably after that. It became much much softer. However, I think you will find clubs where the type of training is more rigorous.

I would prefer to give you more information by PM.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
chris87
England

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello,

I think you will need to do some searching. There several organizations in the UK recognized by the Aikikai, but the type / colour / flavour of aikido they practice is heavily influenced by the original Japanese instructor. For example, the Shobu Aikido organization is heavily influenced by Tamura Nobuyoshi Shihan and Pierre Chassang. I have never met Mr Forbes, but I was acquainted with Mr Chassang and knew Tamura Shihan quite well. When I lived in England, my main influence was from Kazuo Chiba and M Kanetsuka before he had his illness in 1986. He changed his aikido considerably after that. It became much much softer. However, I think you will find clubs where the type of training is more rigorous.

I would prefer to give you more information by PM.

Best wishes,
shobu aikido is the organisation im currently with and it is very good but to be honest i might not have gave it much chance yet and stick with it for the time been ive heard of Tamura Nobuyoshi and was told his technique was incredible
Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Hi Peter, Christian,

The Aikido Yoshinkai has actually seen an increase in clubs over the past several years n the UK. Not all are formerly registered simply because they are affiliated with other clubs. Robert Mustard and Joe Thambu have groups in the UK as well with dojo's that may not be listed on the AYF website. As well, groups like the Kenshinkai have more than one location.

Best bet is to start at http://www.yoshinkan.net/03contentsE/shibuE.html and take a look a the UK websites to see where they may have affiliated clubs.

Happy hunting ..
Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
chris87
England

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote: View Post
Hi Peter, Christian,

The Aikido Yoshinkai has actually seen an increase in clubs over the past several years n the UK. Not all are formerly registered simply because they are affiliated with other clubs. Robert Mustard and Joe Thambu have groups in the UK as well with dojo's that may not be listed on the AYF website. As well, groups like the Kenshinkai have more than one location.

Best bet is to start at http://www.yoshinkan.net/03contentsE/shibuE.html and take a look a the UK websites to see where they may have affiliated clubs.

Happy hunting ..
Thanks for help Steve I appreciate it I think I will stick to what I'm doing and thank myself great film that I have an aikido club near by
Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 AM   #11
me32dc
Dojo: Renshinkai - Sussex
United Kingdom

Not much Yoshinkan up north I am afraid, Eiryukan Aikido Lincoln is probably a similar distance to Belper for you.

Yoshinkan in the UK is strong, just a bit disjointed.