Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
"The liberal arts throw it down in Aikido"

Posted 2007-04-25 23:56:08 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://media.www.middleburycampus.co...wn.in.aikido-2

This article entitled "The liberal arts throw it down in Aikido" highlights Kimberly Richardson sensei of Seattle, WA, who recently gave a lecture at Middlebury College in Vermont as part of a symposium on martial and liberal arts. "Richardson's talk focused on her experience with Aikido and how it had impacted her views on life. Prior to martial arts, her focus had been dance. After an incident where she saw a woman on the floor hurling people around seemingly effortlessly, she became entranced and developed a love for Aikido. [...] Throughout her lecture Richardson, without missing a beat, would talk about her philosophy and demonstrate techniques while throwing around two of her assistants on stage."

Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: "The liberal arts throw it down in Aikido"

I've visited Blue Heron Aikido (the dojo where Johnathan Miller-Lane is chief instructor in Middlebury, VT) the last two years when I've been in Middlebury with my wife. They were all very gracious and friendly as we stepped on the mat with them two years ago. Last year they were in the middle of getting their space re-outfitted, so we weren't able to practice with them (although we did help unload some materials and carry them inside the *under construction* area ).

I enjoyed the article and congratulate this great group of folks. Both my wife and I hope to be able to practice with them again this year when we make our way back up the green mountains.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
DeanPierceVt
Dojo: Blue Heron Aikido

Budd--

The dojo renovation was a smashing success--as was the recent event featuring Kimberly Richardson Sensei.

To see pictures of the renovations go to our website www.blueheronaikido.org.

Click on "dojo location" (left side of page) and then click the photo.

Dean Pierz
Old 04-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

I think Don Levine made some of the same excellent points and then started Aiki-Extensions.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Hi Dean,

Dojo looks great! When we were there last, the paint was down, but I don't think the final mats were. Sounds like a wonderful week and I'm thrilled for the dojo's continued success. The wife and I will be up that way the week of July 4th and will look forward to coming to play on the mat.

Best,

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
DeanPierceVt
Dojo: Blue Heron Aikido

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
I think Don Levine made some of the same excellent points and then started Aiki-Extensions.
Kimberly Richardson Sensei acknowleged Don Levine's pathbreaking work showing the links between marital arts and the liberal arts. Indeed , Don Levine also participated in the Middlebury College symposium and trained with us for a few days as well.

Dean Pierz