Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2003, 02:18 PM   #1
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Cool 390lb ukemi...

It ain't pretty..

..but by GOSH, it's good fun

(Edit: Realised I didn't particularly phrase the post very well, but I'm not too far off 400lbs, and within the last two sessions of training, after beginning Aikido about three weeks ago.. I've only just started doing rolls from standing/projections. Egads, such fun. )

Last edited by Daniel Mills : 05-04-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
That is awesome.

I've been doing ukemi for twenty years, and I've just started playing with a new form of it.

It's killing me to make the changes.

But you're absolutely right; it is always loads of fun!

Have a blast!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
jxa127
Hi Daniel,

As a fellow "big guy," all I can say is that it's great to fly from time to time. Rolls are great, but the real fun happens when you learn to breakfall in a safe manner.

I gather from your posts that you're pretty new to aikido, and you're doing pretty well.

Warm regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 05-05-2003, 08:05 AM   #4
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Hi Drew,

I'm also getting into breakfalls, usually when my stomach and lower back muscles have been pushed so hard by me, that I can't physically lift the weight of my legs over me

I began training on the 10th of last month, and have been training thrice weekly to present. I'm absolutely loving it, despite any initial disadvantages due to my size

I haven't got the hang of rolling on my left, and weaker, side, even from kneeling yet. But forward right, and both sides backwards are coming together quite nicely. It's such an encouragement when things just begin to 'click', and just come together.

Of course, I haven't stopped aching since the first session, but I figure this is merely an indication that I'm doing something right

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:14 AM   #5
SmilingNage
United_States
Well I usually get stuck with the "big" moniker ie "Big" Bill . Glad I can pass the the "big" title over to you Dan. LoL.

230 lbs here

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #6
Peter Klein
Dojo: Aikido Kreis Koeln (Germany)
and as my dojo says aikido isnt good as a single ma cause it never attacks but only takes attacks.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:12 PM   #7
jxa127
Quote:
Daniel Mills wrote:
Hi Drew,

I began training on the 10th of last month, and have been training thrice weekly to present. I'm absolutely loving it, despite any initial disadvantages due to my size
Check out my journal entry called, "Drew the fanboy" for my thoughts on the "initial disadvantages due to size"! Just click on the "Journals" link at the top of this page. The bottom line is that I've found that skinny, athletic guys and gals also have initial disadvantages -- just not the same ones that guys like us have.
Quote:
I haven't got the hang of rolling on my left, and weaker, side, even from kneeling yet. But forward right, and both sides backwards are coming together quite nicely. It's such an encouragement when things just begin to 'click', and just come together.
Awesome! That's some great progress. I struggled for months before I could roll backwards well. And 3.5 years after I started, my right side rolls are quite as good as my left side rolls.
Quote:
Of course, I haven't stopped aching since the first session, but I figure this is merely an indication that I'm doing something right

Best,

-Daniel.
Soreness is part of the price we pay. Acute pain isn't, however. Please take it easy and have patience. I've injured myself more off the mat than on it, but all of my injuries have affected my training one way or another. Take it at a pace that is comfortable for you and work closely with your sensei. Even now I'm working on refining my basic body movements to avoid placing unnecessary stress on my joints.

Good luck, and keep it up!

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 05-05-2003, 09:47 PM   #8
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Cool

Quote:
Daniel Mills wrote:

Best,

-Daniel.
Good for you! We're in the same boat regarding rolling on the left side; I'm only 4 months into aikido and still have problems having my left side do what the right can do without a problem.

Since you can roll forward on the right, and both sides backwards you can proudly say, as I do, we are 3/4 the way there!

Keep up the good work!

Joseph