Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Aikirk
Denmark
Thoughts on DVD on aiki

I would like to know if anyone have any experience with these DVD's from Tony Annesi, or some the IP/IS people in here would like to comment on the quality of the aiki on these videos.

Basically every helpful comment is welcome!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=instructing%20invisible%20aiki%20takeshin%20aiki%20ju%20jutsu&tag=i7352 9mg-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ZnVK22di0
Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
dps

Re: Thoughts on DVD on aiki

Gee, I don't see the invisible parts.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
JW

Quote:
Simon Kirk Sørensen wrote: View Post

In that case:
I haven't seen those DVDs but I saw the youtube vids. I recommend spending the money on Ledyard sensei's DVDs. Or some Aikido Journal DVDs.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Aikirk
Denmark

It's more (or less...) obvious in this one I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80N7oFlfpWA
Old 07-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
In that case:
I haven't seen those DVDs but I saw the youtube vids. I recommend spending the money on Ledyard sensei's DVDs. Or some Aikido Journal DVDs.
Thank you for your input. Maybe I should underline the fact, that it is the aiki part I'm interested in, not Aikido techniques as such (unless they might help build aiki).

I have great respect for Ledyard Sensei, and that is only from the the things he has written in here. As far as I know he has had some exposure to internal strength from skillful people. But does his videos teach aiki?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

I have several VHS of Annesi Sensei and have found them very useful.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
DH
United_States

Quote:
I would like to know if anyone have any experience with these DVD's from Tony Annesi, or some the IP/IS people in here would like to comment on the quality of the aiki on these videos.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=instructing%20invisible%20aiki%20takeshin%20aiki%20ju%20jutsu&tag=i7352 9mg-20

Why do these videos require any explanation?
I've never felt or known Tony to exhibit anything I would consider Aiki. YMMV.
I trained with him once, I have taught and teach several people who trained with him for years, none of whom train with him any more. Beyond that, I have nothing to say.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 07-31-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
It's more (or less...) obvious in this one I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80N7oFlfpWA
IMO, some nice DR waza - but without feeling him, no way to tell if there is any internal stuff going on to any extent.

With that said, I will defer to Dan's judgment since he has felt the guy - although the waza looked good, it does not mean there was aiki - I have felt both in DR and it all can look the same from the outside, but you can tell the difference when it is done to you - without aiki, you can tell your balance is taken and immediately know where you are being led even though you try to resist - with aiki, you have no clue what is going on and just get up saying WTF was that

As previously said, YMMV

Greg

Last edited by gregstec : 07-31-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
JW

Quote:
Thank you for your input. Maybe I should underline the fact, that it is the aiki part I'm interested in, ... But does his videos teach aiki?
Hi Simon, I'm with you on that. Yes he has started releasing just that kind of video. Of course most would say video is not the way to learn, but certainly it is a great supplement. I just ordered "Aiki and Connection." I do recommend it. You will either recognize something or learn something, or think it is BS. I really doubt you will be in the last category! I think he is right on, though I bet he could release a new version every few months and have it be a better DVD each time. So I will keep an eye out for more! The only thing is, that vid is not about development/tanren, just applying skill.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Having watched his 'Aiki Freestyle' video, and cringing throughout, I would advise against buying anything from him; the speed and quality of attacks, and the fact the ukes are rarely actually subdued/put down is embarrassing.

It's all well and good standing around all nonchalant - but you have to actually have some ability; this guy would get his clock cleaned if the attacks were even of a moderate speed.
If I went to a class like this, i'd never return.

Stuff like that gives aikido a bad name.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
I just ordered "Aiki and Connection." I do recommend it. You will either recognize something or learn something, or think it is BS.
I ordered this sometime back and found the former 2 aspects to be true. I enjoyed it because it wasn't flashy but an honest attempt to communicate something. The commentary (inc. at times humor ) and clear body work each having something to give. I could also critically examine my own paradigms and found it helpful in making progress there.

Hiding out in the antipodies/down under it was also a nice window into some of whats happening in North America, given George's documented efforts to seek and digest such.

best,
dan

Old 07-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
Aikirk
Denmark

Thank you for all the kind responses. In general (and to answer Dan's question) the freezing of ukes body in video 1, is what I found to be the most interesting. One of my good friends experienced this and said it felt like everything in his body seemed to slow down and made him unable to move for a while.

This is why i suspect real internal aiki in this video and that it might be able to teach this. But then again without feeling him there's no way knowing.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:

Dear Simon,
Save your cash.Cheers Joe.