Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States
Disgust Is it wrong?

Hello all, me again, newbie:

Is it wrong of me, although I am generally a calm and nice person, to be interested mainly in the martial side of aikido, and not so much, at this time at least, on the spiritual side.

I am in no way violent, but would like to train for 'use' of the art when comes time...
Wrong or right?
Old 08-31-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Is it wrong?

Quote:
Andy Orwig (actoman) wrote:
Is it wrong of me, although I am generally a calm and nice person, to be interested mainly in the martial side of aikido, and not so much, at this time at least, on the spiritual side.

I am in no way violent, but would like to train for 'use' of the art when comes time...

Wrong or right?
Saotome says that in aikido we preserve the enemy's karma (prevent him from soiling his sould by hurting us.) Can't very well do that if your technique doesn't work.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 09-01-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I think it's perfectly all right. In fact practicing without martial intent will - in my view - reduce the art to mere dancing.

However - when you practice, you must remember that practicing aikido involves practicing with the right mind set as well. Don't just hit uke because you can, divert the power of the potential punch into technique, but be aware of the atemi present at all times. It IS a martial art, and practiced in the right spirit it will eventually get you to get involved in the spiritual side to at least some extend.

Mind you this is my opinion. Others might (and will) differ.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-01-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
Each of us train for our own reasons. So, wrong according to who? I certainly train with martial intent. So I am not saying you are "right", only that I agree.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:24 AM   #5
Paul Klembeck
Andy,

Martial applicability is the first and essential thing, every other good thing in Aikido comes only as a result of that. Be proud to learn working technique. Totally right, in my calm and nice opinion.

Master Friis,

I believe I will begin a crusade on this and other Aikido bulletin boards to expunge words like "reduce the art to mere dancing". Dance is a great art and the words merely and reduce are inappropriate. Please, say things like "reduce the art to a hollow shell" or equivalent. Then, you will speak true.

P.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:35 AM   #6
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
I agree with Lynn's post totally.

Also, it may be important not to forget that Ueshiba M. originally trained in jujutsu and things of the sort to become strong, enabling him to protect his loved ones.

Anyone can preach universal peace and harmony, but if we can't support our claims with the tools necessary to make it reality then we are not only giving a false message to others, but we are also deluding ourselves.

Ueshiba M. could have talked the talk because he could also walk the walk if the situation arose.

Just 2 cents

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 09-02-2003, 09:12 AM   #7
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Thank You Paul!!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 09-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
Re: Is it wrong?

Quote:
Andy Orwig (actoman) wrote:
Hello all, me again, newbie:

Wrong or right?
Nope, I don't see it as being wrong Andy. As others have said, people study aikido for many reasons: the martial aspects, the health aspects, the philosophical ascpects, etc. Just enjoy the journey.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 09-03-2003, 06:52 PM   #9
Bogeyman
Dojo: UW-La Crosse Aikido
In my experience around aikido, I think the tendency is to start out more martial and as you go up in rank you pull in more of the esoteric. That is just an observation from a university dojo standpoint.

E
Old 09-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
For me it was just pure luck that I got into aikido and though I was very interested in moral philosophy (ethics) at the time for around two years I never drew anything from aikido. However it did introduce me to eastern philosophy which had a large impact on my world-view. I think, unlike many martial arts which talk of peace but train to kill, we actually train in a way which, when instinctive, tends to minimise aggression.

I also think the philsophy of aikido cannot be seperated from Budo. In my mind we have to face (i.e. come to terms) with our own death to really understand why we do not destroy people, but to do that we have to understand the reality of death and killing in the martial aspect. To train without martial aspect in aikido is to me missing the point of the philosophy of aikido.

In addition, I think initially aikido (esp. as a self-defence) is rough and ready and quite dangerous. As we improve we aim to become LESS dangerous because we aim to blend more and we should have a greater ability to respond to the situation appropriately (which after all, is aikido).

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-05-2003, 09:49 AM   #11
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
P.S. if you weren't doing aikido, how else would you respond in an attack - probably in a less 'controlled' manner? (personally I think pacifism isn't beneficial for either party in the majority of cases.)

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---