Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-30-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States
Blush! What about other attacks?

Hello all,

I have noticed that, although I am relatively new to aikido, and that there is much to still learn, that all attacks seem to focus on the wrists. What about other attacks? You know no attacker is going to grap for your wrists but really your hands instead, or your body.

Please elaborate.

THanks
Old 08-30-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
The problem is categorizing all wrist grabbing techniques as "attacks". Actually they´re are useful for learning to blend with uke and redirect his/her energy in our favor, it also teaches proper posture and body movement.

And there is a wide array of atemi (strikes) directed at other parts of the body (head, neck, chest, abdomen, etc.), grabs from the side, from behind, chokes and even kicks.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Be patient. Its all here. You'll get to it. Please remember that once you learn the principles it is easy to apply them to any attack on any angle.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-30-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States
thanks, that makes me feel a bit better investing in a 'usable' art that I love.

I am looking forward to learning more about that.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:24 AM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Whenever my students decide to question the applicability of wrist grabs as attacks, I merely let someone grab and then follow up with a quick knife thrust or punch (to the body or the head) with the other hand.

This tends to bring back the reality that being immobilised can set one up for something more dangerous.

It's nice to see though how the same technique practiced against a wrist grab alone may work identically with a follow up strike applied.

Important fundamentals for multiple applications.

My 2c

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 09-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Bogeyman
Dojo: UW-La Crosse Aikido
Several years ago an instructor explained that grabs are not really any different than strikes except for timing. For example wrist grabs are the same as low punches, chokes and high punches and so on. Grabs can make learning propper blends and timing easier to grasp at first. Just thought I would pass on some $.02 worth.

E
Old 09-11-2003, 12:23 AM   #7
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
from what i know aikido attacks seems more focused on the wrist attack because a grab, hold, eiher on the wrist or other body part is the so called 'unlikely' attack, and people usually don't except these kinds of attack, thus making them stunned or respond wildly.

In aikido, the wrist attack is intended to teach how to react against 'unlikely' attacks , but bear in mind that unlikely attack is not only comprised of grab, what i think the most common one nowadays is the 'shoot' like grapplers does.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
OP- I think it depends on how you train. I think you also have to understand why someone would be grabbing you. When we do atemi, we enter, grab, then strike. Without the grab, your opponent can block, dodge, etc. After coming to understand that, all of the wrist techniques started to make a lot more sense.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy
In our dojo, we initially learn techniques from wrist grabs (and on occasion, chokes or kicks). We call these "Classical Techniques." Once the student shows understanding of the Classical Technique, he or she learns applications to those techniques such as pushes, punches or knife attacks.

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido