Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States
As I advance I have a question..

Hey all,

Wanted to know how or if you have ever approached another student of the same rank or even higher and asked to train 'hard' once or twice a month?

I mean, I am advancing and learning and enjoying my training, but there are times where I feel I want to go 'full speed', not 'class speed'. Maybe it's my confidence boosting, maybe I just want to know if I can react in real time, maybe I like pain, I don't really know, anyone else have this itch every now and again?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: As I advance I have a question..

Quote:
Andy Orwig wrote:
Wanted to know how or if you have ever approached another student of the same rank or even higher and asked to train 'hard' once or twice a month?

I mean, I am advancing and learning and enjoying my training, but there are times where I feel I want to go 'full speed', not 'class speed'.
Hello Andy,

I can only answer this in the context of the dojo I train in, so it might be different in your dojo, but when students train together, they adjust their training based on the skill level of the particular person they happen to be training with at the moment. That adjustment works in both directions, either easing up for those who are a bit newer, or going full on for those who have the skill to operate at that level. So, there is no need for making arrangements to train at that higher level, it's just a natural progression of everyday training.

To me, it's more of a matter of 'trust' than it is skill level when it comes to training with somebody at full speed & strength. If I'm not 100% confident that they know what they are doing, and are able to do it safely, I always hold back a bit, both as nage & uke! Once both of us have that same confidence level in each other, it's GO TIME when we train together!

Nasty things can (& do) happen VERY quickly when training at that level, so be careful as you progress & just ramp up things with those partners that you're comfortable with!

...BUT be sure to talk to your instructor about this before doing it!

Good luck with your training!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 03-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Well put, Brian!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Andy Orwig wrote:
Hey all,

I mean, I am advancing and learning and enjoying my training, but there are times where I feel I want to go 'full speed', not 'class speed'. Maybe it's my confidence boosting, maybe I just want to know if I can react in real time, maybe I like pain, I don't really know, anyone else have this itch every now and again?
Hello Andy,

IMO, there are two determining factors which you should consider when wanting to go "full speed":-

1) Your own ability to take ukemi.
2) A trusted partner. In aikido, there is only a thin red line that separate the "Do"and the "Jutsu" part. If my shite/tori is a clumsy inconsiderately rough fool, then I will not go all out with him/her.

The two above factors will probably determine whether you will come to class again the next day or not. And yes, Andy, I too have this itch that needs to be scratch occasionally. Andy, the "full speed" jiyu waza and randori is not only confidence boosting, it is also a lgreat earning experience.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.