Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
firebladejedi

Dojo: Aikido Takemusukai UK
United Kingdom
Hello from the UK

Hello, my name is Mark and I am from the UK.

I found this site by googling something a few weeks ago and have been back a few times to have a read and find this site quite informative and most interesting..

When I was a teenager just a few years ago, in the late 80's, I probably like many watched a film by Steven Seagal the UK release title was Nico. I was hooked and suddenly wanted to learn Aikido. So my father found a local dojo and I began training.

After a couple of years a work colleague and friend of my father opened a Jiu-Jitsu dojo and I went along there too. I still train under that same teacher today, 23 years or so later!

Anyway after a while I stopped going to Aikido classes but always remained fascinated by it and went back a few times as an adult to pick up where I had left off.

Then sometime in about the year 2000 I tried Kendo, which I really enjoyed, but unfortunately due to life I was unable to continue training.

I remember after recovering from a particularly nasty motorcycle accident in around 2004 when I shattered by pelvis in over 10 places I went back to Aikido for some time with my original Aikido teacher and once again enjoyed the art.

Around 4 years ago I started to train in Judo to compliment my Jiu-Jitsu training, as I just love class and hope to practise when I can. Always with the Jiu-Jitsu and always looking to compliment it with another traditional art..

So then more recently I have a new job working very unsociable shifts, mainly weekends and night, I train when I can and another fascination of mine is the katana, and although I have done some training within the other arts I practise, I had never really had any what I would call formal traning and after my most recent grading in Jiu-Jitsu I have taken up Iai Batto Do, which I find very interesting indeed.

And then about 2 months ago I once again decided to look up my old Aikido teacher but this time found that he had closed his dojo due to dwindling numbers. But I found another teacher in my city and have been going when I can when work allows.

It has been around ten years since my last classes, but Aikido has not changed and it is just as I remember it from when I was a teenager.

Anyway that is a little introduction from me, I have many other interesting hobbies that maybe I will talk about in another part of the forum.

Im now going to have a quick read here before my Aikido class this evening..

Mark
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello from the UK

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches