Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2001, 09:44 AM   #1
TAC One
Dojo: Aikikai Valsugana
Question Seigo Yamaguchi Videos

I am looking for Seigo Yamaguchi Videos.

Any help is appreciated.

TAC One

Old 06-21-2001, 11:25 AM   #2
akiy

From what I've heard, Yamaguchi sensei's son, Tetsu, has been working on some kind of video effort of Yamaguchi sensei since he passed away in 1996. You might want to try contacting him. He has a website at:

http://www.yamaguchi-aikido.com/

Hope that helps.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-25-2001, 04:32 AM   #3
TAC One
Dojo: Aikikai Valsugana
Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
You might want to try contacting him. He has a website at:

http://www.yamaguchi-aikido.com/

Hope that helps.

-- Jun
I already tried..

Thx anyway.

Tac

TAC One

Old 06-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
Robert Wilkins
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Seigo Yamaguchi Videos

An excellent video of Yamaguchi sensei demonstrating a number of different ikkyo waza can be found at the following address,
www.aikidoedintorni.com/ARCAvideo/ARCAvideo.htm
It runs 1.28 minutes and best of all, it's FREE!
Thanks,
Robert Wilkins
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

I have a couple of video tapes of Yamaguchi Sensei. The quality is not the best. One of these is from a gasshuku in Japan somewhere. Also of Yamaguchi Sensei's student, Takeda Shihan. If you e-mail me, I will make you copies.

Best,
Steve Trinkle
s.trinkle@verizon.net

www.aikidokenkyukaipennsylvania.org
Old 04-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
twinklingrose
Dojo: AÏKIAMA DOJO (Montpellier)
France

Quote:
Stefano Forenza wrote: View Post
I am looking for Seigo Yamaguchi Videos.

Any help is appreciated.
Hi Stephan!
I wonder why, in the mighty world of Love and friendship that Aikidoô can be, such important information, as yamaguchi vidéos -definitely!-, are soooooooooooo difficult to FIND???!!!
And I know what I'm talking about. I'm now instructor of Amaterasu Dôjô in Montpellier, France, but there was a time, not so long ago, when I've been blind enough during three years to help a high rank teacher (...) to settle in this town and build his dojo from the ground. He uses Yamaguchi vidéos as carrots for donkeys, close enough to the mouth to pull the donkey ahead in his control, but far enough so it can never get IT... THE CAROTE! Can u believe that... cause it's true. It makes me lough today. And I cant hide my smile when such teacher pretend being followers of Seigo Yamaguchi Shihan!!!... Ok I must admit that this zombi has some technical skills with which he BUY the silly devotion of naive pupils but ON THE OTHER HAND this type of guy was smashing on the face, on the mat (so in front of O sensei!!!), his own wife (but I really still today don't know why cause she was pretty smooth ukemi and doing really good job trying here best!!), and in three years he has gently (I mean hypocritly) thrown out of his dojô about 20 yudansha students (from shodan to nidan)... his closest sandan lieutenant finally left by his own will!!!...in a flash of awaking...
Reading this Stephano might make u feel little sad as I was at the time of these events, but I overcomed this nightmare and got stronger. I've learn from this experience to learn to SEE! (metsuke waza!!) To see who is in front and adopt the right attitude, the one wich is MASA KATSU A KATSU KATSU HAYABI! (O Sensei poem)
I didn't wrote those lines just to waste some time talking but to propose some explanation why Yamaguchi vidéos (or others important informations) are kept jealously in selfish shade... so that no one, hopefully can find them.
The path of Aikidô will never be for me to say AMEN to foulness!

So now... to get to something much more full of light, I give u a good window to get some of Yamaguchi vidéos (About 7 I think) and a lot more of other sensei (like endo my master). Just log in on YOUTUBE (log in is free but u have to register)

Enjoy my friend, we try to build all together a better world :

Best regards

Didier Le Calvez
Chief Instructor Of Aïkidô Montpellier Amaterasu Dôjô
Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #7
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Didier,

As I understand it, the reason why films of Yamaguchi Sensei are so rare is that he was very unhappy about people taking videos of his classes and then circulating them wherever they liked. When he came to teach in England in the 1980s he allowed one or two people to record his teaching, but was very clear that these were private records for personal study, and should not be generally released. I have seen several of these.

After he died, most of the people who possessed the films continued to respect his wishes, and this is why these recordings are not seen very often.

Alex
Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
chris w

United_States

In William Gleason's video"Aikido and the Japanese Sword" there is footage of Yamaguchi Sensei.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Have you tried Google Vids and YouTube? (Or did you mean to purchase?)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
cguzik

Aikido Journal has a couple of short (3-4 minute) video clips of Yamaguchi Sensei available for download to subscribers.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
raul rodrigo
Philippines

In the late 1980s, Yamaguchi made a 45 minute aikido demo video.He demonstrates a wide variety of both armed (jo and ken) and empty hand waza. Yasuno can be seen taking ukemi. Shingo Nakao was apparently the cameraman. I don' know if the video is supposed to be commercially available or if it was just meant to be circulated among his students. But its definitely out there.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I too have it on authority that Yamaguchi sensei did not like video`s of himself being made or circulated. I have a copy of the tape mentioned by Raul above, it was apparently made for his senior students and copies were given only to those senior students. My copy is taken directly from one of the masters and was copied directly to DVD. It certainly beats the old copy I had obtained by chance many years back, taken from tape to tape to tape........ My copy was given to me in confidence as a gift, whilst I very much appreciate the abilities of Yamaguchi sensei, I too, restrict viewing of this tape and do not distribute copies.

I thought it was made professionally, especially as filming is done from multiple angles. This is the first time I`ve heard that Nakao sensei was the camera man, although I have often wondered why he wasn`t in the tape. Something I will check out.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

The tape in question was made at the request of Yamaguchi sensei`s senior students. Nakao sensei was not the camera man, it was made with a professional company. Only 300 copies were made and each individually numbered for his students.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote: View Post
The tape in question was made at the request of Yamaguchi sensei`s senior students. Nakao sensei was not the camera man, it was made with a professional company. Only 300 copies were made and each individually numbered for his students.
My mistake. Thank you for clearing that up.

R