Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
aikido.hara
Dojo: Aikido by the Bay
United_States
Opinions on Doyu gi's

Hi all,

I have trained with Bujin gi's for the past 5 years, but my current gi's are finally shredding beyond a level acceptable to use in class. Repair is impossible...they are just giving out. I liked Bujin because of the quality and their ability to customize with little expense in the areas of full cut pants, hemming,etc.

After a few emails with the new Bujin (aikido24), I have decided to venture elsewhere. I was strongly considering the Doyu products and was hoping to get opinions from current users.

1.) How is the lightweight (summer) honeycomb gi? Is it durable and worth the expense? I ask because I train in south Texas and it is perpetually summer down here. Also, how bad is the shrinkage?

2.) Do you recommend the standard jacket or the honeycomb jacket?

3.) How do the premium pants compare to swain single-weave pants? How bad is the shrinkage?

4.) Lastly, do others recommend strongly any other gi manufacturers as being superior to Doyu and, thusly, ones I should consider? Anybody with comparative experience with Nine circles?

I realize everybody has an opinion and probably 3 people have 3 opposing opinions. I just need a little advice. Gi's get pricey for quality, but I want something that will last, look good, and work well in class.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Opinions on Doyu gi's

I am not familiar with that brand myself.

I personally love Pirhana Gear gi. But the heavy weight karate gi that I prefer is really warm for a climate like yours. The hardly shrink at all and wear very well though. And the fabric is nice and does not take a lot of time to break in. I am not familiar with their aikido gi.

A few people in my dojo have used Nine Circles and seem to like them although the one girl said that the heavy weight gi is much too stiff for her taste.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
aikido.hara
United_States

Thanks for the input on the Pirhana Gear. I had been using the Bujin 12 oz and it was dramatically less stiff than the swain I had earlier. I thought with the Bujin being 12 oz it would be a tank, but over time it has frayed and worn holes through every single area it creases (sleeves, pants, etc.) to the point I think it might be a catastrophic fabric flaw. It was also hot hot hot and I poured out sweat like a waterfall. As such, the idea of a "summer weight" jacket sounds like a dream if...and they are big ifs, it holds up to practice and it doesn't absorb water like a sponge and get "soggy and heavy".

I realize I'm rambling...hard decision to make...and you get so attached to a gi that works...

Again, I appreciate your reply.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

I like:

http://www.xebec9.jp/xe_syousai.php?...col=&fm=s&rn=0

Lightweight and cool for hot environments. Dries quickly and wears well. Nice folks, and they'll ship overseas and just charge the actual shipping charges. They do the name embroidery, too.

Japanese only, though...

Best,

Chris

Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
aikido.hara
United_States

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I have been really enjoying the series you have been writing. Very well researched and presented. Bravo! I meant to mention this to you earlier, thank you for giving the opportunity to voice it now.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Richard Rupp wrote: View Post
Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I have been really enjoying the series you have been writing. Very well researched and presented. Bravo! I meant to mention this to you earlier, thank you for giving the opportunity to voice it now.
Thanks Rich! Glad to hear that you're enjoying them.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I have recently bought the new Bujin dogi and I am very satisfied with the quality of the product. I also own two different quality (and price) Tozando dogi and I genuinely like both of their summer weight products. I do not think that you can go wrong with either Bujin or Tozando.

Marc Abrams
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
aikido.hara
United_States

Thanks for the input Marc,

My concern with Bujin was if they still did custom orders. I sent a few emails and the questions seemed to have gotten lost in translation. Furthermore, I never received any definitive answers as to custom availability, full cut availability, costs or time frames involved...it all just disappeared into the ether.

As such, I decided it was just a good time to move on and try something else. There are no real hard feelings and I dearly love and treasure the Bujin weapons bags I have. (I even bought an extra and put it into reserve, though I doubt I will ever use it as the bag are made of iron and never show wear or age)

Once again thanks, but I was just thinking of moving on...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Rich, I can't comment on Doyu dogi, but you might check out E-Bogu. They have some great hot weather dogi at good prices and excellent service.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Thanks for the input Marc,

My concern with Bujin was if they still did custom orders. I sent a few emails and the questions seemed to have gotten lost in translation. Furthermore, I never received any definitive answers as to custom availability, full cut availability, costs or time frames involved...it all just disappeared into the ether.

As such, I decided it was just a good time to move on and try something else. There are no real hard feelings and I dearly love and treasure the Bujin weapons bags I have. (I even bought an extra and put it into reserve, though I doubt I will ever use it as the bag are made of iron and never show wear or age)

Once again thanks, but I was just thinking of moving on...
No worries Richard.... Look at Tozando as well. I am very, very pleased with the quality of their products. I find their dogi to be a very nice balance between price and quality.

Marc Abrams
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
aikido.hara
United_States

Looking at Tozando...

Does anyone have experience with the waffle-type "SOU" or the "KUH" Sashiko knit products?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Janet Rosen

Richard, Budo Nevada Tailoring does custom work and they say they feature a fabric for very hot weather. I have seen one standard weight gi they did for a friend and as a seamstress I would vouch for them. It's a small two person design/sewing operation.
http://www.budonevadatailoring.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Budonevadatailoring

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
aikido.hara
United_States

Thanks for the links, Janet,

Actually I and my sensei had been really looking at a hemp gi, but the artisan quit making those. We even had fabric samples. Would you be willing to share any information you have as to why she (whomever that mysterious aiki-seamstress was, wink wink) put adult keikogi, aka the hemp gi's, on hold?

In case it's not clear, since sometimes posts on aikiweb are not appreciated for the intended appreciation and humor they are meant for, this is really a complement on your products and a genuine inquiry...not an attack. Although, I will grab your wrist if that would fascilitate things.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Hi,

We have several students with the "standard" Doyu Gi jacket and basic pants. I think the quality is good and the students who wear them seem to find them comfortable. They are too new on the market to comment on durability. I have seen their "honeycomb" jacket at seminars, but I did not have the chance to discuss the jacket with the owners.

I used to buy my Gi and Hakama from Iwata, but I found over the years that their quality has gone down a bit, while the prices have gone up (partly due to the exchange rate).

I prefer Tozando. I have been buying their Gi's and Hakama for both Aikido and Iaido and the quality has been exceptional. I do own the "Sou" waffle knit Gi jacket. I like it a lot. They wash and dry with ease and have been very durable. They are great for the warm/hot weather. They wick-away moisture very well. Unlike the "seersucker" Gi, which I found not to wick very well and when it gets saturated, it tends to stick to your body. I also have their 'classic' Gi, which I use most of the time.

I have also bought from Tozando a "Kuh" Sashiko knit Gi, because I wanted to try it out. It is very comfortable and does breath well. However, it is polyester and I prefer the feel (and tradition) of cotton. Also, since it is polyester, it does not look like a bleached-white Gi, it has a slight bluish tint to it.

I do not like BuJin...period.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
aikido.hara
United_States

Thank you Neal.

I thought the Doyu honeycomb looked very similar to the Tozando "Sou" waffle knit.

I also had experience at a seminar with an owner of the "seersucker" and he also commented that it turned into a soggy rag after a while. I am glad the waffle weave did not similar exhibit this behavior.

Tozando now makes pants also out of the waffle weave fabric. From your experience with the jackets, do you think these would hold up to suwariwaza and general practice, or do you think it is a better combination of standard cotton pants and the lighter top?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but you seemed to have Tozando, Doyu, and Bujin experience, which I have discovered, is exactly what I was searching for.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

I just get the standard Aikido pants from Tozando. They have been very durable...although, I'm wearing them under a Hakama and I don't do as much suwari-waza as I used to do. I haven't tried the new waffle weave pants.

I also forgot to mention, that Tozando has excellent customer service
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Thanks for the links, Janet,
Actually I and my sensei had been really looking at a hemp gi, but the artisan quit making those. We even had fabric samples. Would you be willing to share any information you have as to why she (whomever that mysterious aiki-seamstress was, wink wink) put adult keikogi, aka the hemp gi's, on hold?
Richard, thank you - and yes, I decided to stop doing adult hemp dogi because between day job and family responsibilities I'm a bit overloaded and the adult custom dogi are just too labor-intensive.

HOWEVER the truly weird thing is that 24 hours after I made the decision and took them off the website, I found out about another California aikidoka who is doing custom hemp dogi and frankly she is doing the full set of jacket and pants for not much more than I was charging just for the top.

Her fabric is a blend of hemp and recycled polyester that I 100% vouch for - last year I bought some and made myself a top and prefer it to the all hemp. It has the softness and durability of hemp but it has more structure and gives a more tailored, less rumpled look. From what I can see from her website, her construction/work looks very good. Here is the link
http://www.jenddesigns.com/

Oh and feel free to come on out to the left coast and we can grab wrists

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield