Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #26
Niko Salgado
Dojo: Center for Mind-Body Oneness, St. Paul, MN
United_States
Re: Young folk

Jeez, to hear of people being shodan at 15 years of age.. or even below 20.. kinda tempted to switch styles of Aikido just to get the rank. Oh well.. that's what I get for being in Ki Aikido..testing is pretty extensive I'm just kidding, I really enjoy it and am not racing for ranks, although I think it's time to get more serious about raising the ranks.

There are only 3 people under 25 at our group, although 1 is inactive, and for a while I was the youngest, at one point about half the group was under 25, but then they got a life, when those of us still in it chose Aikido to be part of our life. We have a pretty small group and hopefully increasing the numbers soon with public rec programs and such.

Keep at it! If you could, name your style and how long you've been practicing for as well, much appreciated! I just like a perspective to how many youngin's practice Aikido to kind of give a demographic to those asking questions.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 PM   #27
akiy

Due to the two universities/colleges in town as well as having satellite classes at both, our dojo gets a fair amount of people who usually train in those classes. Also, we usually get several people in that age group start with us when a new beginners class begins anew (every three months), perhaps due to this area having quite a number of outdoor/active folks. There's also a kids (6-9 years old) and a youth (9-15 years old) class at our dojo which is pretty active, although the number of folks who move into the regular adults classes seems to be very limited.

There's also another thread, "Calling teenage Aikidoka" here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5835

-- Jun, going back to the old people's threads...

PS: Laurel, go finish your homework.

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #28
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

23, shodan everyone else in the dojo is over 25 and has been since I started.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 10-21-2004, 12:01 AM   #29
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Niko Salgado wrote:
Jeez, to hear of people being shodan at 15 years of age.. or even below 20.. kinda tempted to switch styles of Aikido just to get the rank. Oh well.. that's what I get for being in Ki Aikido..testing is pretty extensive
I'll bet good money that there are some pretty young Shodans (beginning level) in Ki Aikido as well. They young man has been doing Aikido for 7 years after all.

Where I train we can have up to Nidan as a student grade. However, when they switch to adult classes they start from the beginning again. They tend to get promoted pretty quick but still.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-21-2004, 02:11 AM   #30
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
I'll bet good money that there are some pretty young Shodans (beginning level) in Ki Aikido as well
I'll take that bet and lose some money... oh wait. Damn, I preferred it when the shodothugs were all defensive about competition rather than acting all reasonable and Peter, it's not fair play to load these boards with your studes.

Anyway I think the youngest grading I've seen was 5th Kyu at about 13 - I hated that kid as he was calm, smooth in his movements and had no self-conciousness at all when displaying his technique.

OT: Jun, I demand shodothugs and aiki-fruitie are added to the dictionary, I noticed a miss-spelling of shodothug earlier by Bronson, tut tut
Old 10-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #31
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
I'll take that bet and lose some money... oh wait.
Not necessarily - I only base the conjecture (reasonable Shodothug use of dictionary- scary huh?) that almost every Aikido organization in Japan that I've run into seems to have a system in place where youngsters with enough time in can have a black belt.

Varies from place to place - but not from style to style.

I don't see a 15 year old Shodan as a problem.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #32
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Is 25+ over the hill or something?

I'm 26 in a couple of weeks time and a 5th kyu.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #33
Niko Salgado
Dojo: Center for Mind-Body Oneness, St. Paul, MN
United_States

Quote:
Bridget Chung wrote:
Is 25+ over the hill or something?
I was mainly targeting those "typical" college(undergraduate) age and below.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #34
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

just 15 in october and going for 2nd kyu in february

Danny Loughlin
Old 10-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #35
Taliesin

I must say, although the dojo I train at has one Junior Shodan, in the adult's classes the age range seems to be mainly 25+. That said we have graded two (brother and sister) to Shodan at ages 17 and 18 respectively (Although not at the same time). I must point out though that they did appear to thank that training any less than 6 days a week was slacking. Like everyone else they their earned their grades through commitment and bloody hard work.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #36
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Hi all:

We have a 17 yr old 3rd kyu, 20 yr old 2nd kyu, 20 yr old ungraded, 21 yr old 5th kyu, and a 23 yr old ungraded. Otherwise it's all us old codgers from age 25 to 55 or so. We are all one happy family! (some might call us a motley crew I suppose)

e ya later
Jill.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #37
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Sarah Moon wrote:
Young WOMEN too...
WOW!! That speaks volumes for the Shodokan training method. I'm amazed it can turn young women into testosterone maddened anything....truly an equal opportunity evil influence

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
Even though unranked I'm sure you can take Bronson any day...
Maybe out to dinner

I, sir, am an AIKIFRUITY. I am more enlightened, better mannered, have better hygiene, have a much deeper understanding of the REAL inner meanings of aikido, and I propably have a nicer car than any mere Shodothug who's main focus of practice is base effective technique.

Just don't ask me to martial art my way out of a wet paper sack 'cause I'm not sure I could

Bronson

p.s. I sure hope you all realize this is all in fun because I don't ever want to be on the receiving end of any of those things that end in -ate

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #38
PeterR

Japan

I like this guy - maybe we should adopt him.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:13 PM   #39
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I like this guy - maybe we should adopt him.
I agree Peter.

Checking out Shodokan DVDs, hanging out with the Shodothugs (tm) all the time. Hmmm, I think he is trying to defect.

Admit it Bronson, you've had enough of the Fruitiness, now you want some real red meat Decadent Aikido.

<Darth Vader Voice> You cannot resist the dark side of the force. </Darth Vader Voice>

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 10-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #40
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Resist Bronson, the power of the shodothug is but toy when compared with the true power of Ki...

OK, just shoot me now for that one, I deserve it.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #41
PeterR

Japan

As I breath heavily through cupped hands in the background.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:53 AM   #42
Bronson

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
<Darth Vader Voice> You cannot resist the dark side of the force. </Darth Vader Voice>
Nah, I've got my own sensei to be an evil influence on me , appreciate the offer though. I wouldn't mind a few classes just to see how the evil side lives

Quick story: I recenlty had to have a test done at the hospital. Everyone, including my doctor, told me it would be very painful. During the "painful" part of the test all I could think was "this is nothing, anybody who thinks this hurts needs to come to class and take a few strikes in the belly of the bicep". That little tidbit of knowledge courtesy of my evil sensei

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-22-2004, 01:55 AM   #43
Bronson

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
...red meat Decadent Aikido.
Larry I don't know the name of your dojo but you need to change it to the above

Bronson

Old 10-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #44
brian_wray
United_States

I began my study of aikido at age eight and a half, and my sister at nine and a half. We weren't the only kids there, either. My dojo had a special "young persons" practice; there were a few others in the range of 10-13. I know one of the older kids (14 or so) was a 1st kyu.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #45
dominicmulholland
Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleraine
Northern Ireland
Smile Re: Young folk

23: But I only just started 4 weeks ago. Unranked

There is no spoon

Begin The Unneccessarily Slow Lowering Mechanism!!

Dr. Evil; Austin Powers: International Man Of Mistery.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #46
The Molinjir
United_States

12, 5th kyu, but one of my friends from the dojo, a 14 year old, is a shodan in both Aikido and Kenpo. He started at the age of four in kenpo, and 5 in Aikido.
He is quite heavily into martial arts
Old 10-29-2004, 11:22 PM   #47
Dan Gould
Dojo: Cilfynydd, Pontypridd
United Kingdom

18, er... will be starting Monday :-$ Don't even have a gi yet.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:16 PM   #48
Christy S
United_States

19 years old and a "Sassy Shodan" as my friends at the dojo say. :-)
Old 11-07-2004, 12:55 AM   #49
Kevin
Dojo: Aiki Zenshin Dojo, Aikido of Fremont
United_States
Wink Re: Young folk

Hi all.

Haven't posted in a long, long, long...... time.

I am 18 and tested for my Shodan in August. In April, it will be 10 years of Aikido training.

It is great to see a lot of young people training. I'll try my best to continue training throughout college. Dojo is 15 minutes by bike, and school works is loading up, but I'll try my best.

-Kevin
Old 11-07-2004, 12:56 AM   #50
Kevin
Dojo: Aiki Zenshin Dojo, Aikido of Fremont
United_States

Sorry about posting the address signature for my former website. I lost interest in web design some time ago and it is now some spam site.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!