Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #51
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Mark's potentially big adventure? (MBA)

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Tarik,

I just checked the atlas, and realise that I was on Highway 1 as well as 101, I agree it is great road for scenery and you don't want to be anywhere fast. I remember sitting for hours, somewhere south of Monterey (I think) while a mudslide was being cleared.

regards,

Mark
p.s. if there are any aikido dojos located on H1 that would be a bonus
There are definitely a number of dojo on or close to 1. :-)

My old dojo was (and still is) literally on Highway 1 (known as Misson St. in Santa Cruz). My current dojo is a short ways off of Highway 9, a little mountain highway that branches off of 1 towards San Jose.

Best,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #52
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post

My old dojo was (and still is) literally on Highway 1 (known as Misson St. in Santa Cruz). My current dojo is a short ways off of Highway 9, a little mountain highway that branches off of 1 towards San Jose.

Best,
Hi Tarik,

I've just checked out exactly where you are on the map. It is just down the road from where I stayed for about a month with with some very good friends in Bonny Doon, just off of Pine Flat Rd.

I had some great time on their motorbikes around there, I remember sections of Empire Grade to this day

I look forward to being in that part of the world again.

cheers,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #53
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Good luck Mark. This is the kind of trip I would love to do if my priorities allowed.

If you make it as far north as a visit with Szczepan in Montreal, you might as well go a little further and visit us in Quebec City, very possibly the safest city anywhere (as long as you're not trying to drive through a winter snow storm).

Jonathan Olson
Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #54
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Mark. How about some potential titles for your book? I'm sure some will have some great ideas.

Hitch-hikers guide to aiki? Well that's my effort, i'm sure there's better.

Regards.G.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #55
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Mark. How about some potential titles for your book? I'm sure some will have some great ideas.

Hitch-hikers guide to aiki? Well that's my effort, i'm sure there's better.

Regards.G.
Hi Graham,

Interesting that you mention a potential book title, I like the one you suggest, as long as I don't have to hitch-hike the whole way .

I was, only a few hours ago, sitting on a rock in a shallow stretch of the river Dart up on Dartmoor. It's an absolutely beautiful spot, both banks of the river are lined by Birch, Oak and Sycamore trees. The leaves are just starting to turn to autumn colours, a bit early in the year mind, but what does that matter.

I was sitting looking upstream, with the peat stained water passing by me, it was the colour of well made tea, before the milk is added.
The sound of the water is musical, there are shallow rapids and many small, round granite moss covered stones in the shallows, the different rhythmic sounds the water makes, when it flows over and around these, creates a liquid symphony.

As I sat there immersed in this lovely place, pondering the relationship between the water and the rock. I was looking at, hearing and feeling the harmony of the two different states, liquid and solid.

I have learned through practice that to achieve the mind/body state that is required for aikido to take place, one has to become like both water and like rock, 'simultaneously'. Immovable mind, non-contention, a completely relaxed body, but at the same time, solid body.

So the title that 'floated' into my mind at that point was "Like Water and Rock" - One man's journey into the world of Aikido.

I would love to take suggestions, a free signed copy, to the one that's used

What I am not clear on yet, is what form the book would take? part diary, part travelogue, part how too manual, part philosophy ? I am not sure yet. I'm not even sure if I can write it at all. It's easy to talk about writing one, it's another to actually do it.

I would be happy to take suggestions, as to what people would be interested to read and what for it should take.

regards,

Mark

Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #56
graham christian
England

Hi Mark.
Sounds good to me. My only advice on type or form of book is take the time before now and leaving to practice writing. I'm serious, do a trial run on something you already know. Do it from the view of you finding your own style of writing.

I have done this myself, it's a very interesting experience. It's a bit like Aikido, trying to do it like someone else is not natural.

I have written two books in this way, unpublished, as part of my training. I even printed them out and made covers and my own binding.

The next step I did was make twenty copies of each and handed them out to friends and associates, some who knew the subject concerned and some who never heard of it. Then I waited for the responses.

By the look of what you wrote above I think you have a good poetic style down pat so a few poems thrown in wouldn't hurt.

Just some thoughts.

Regards.G.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #57
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hi Mark.
Sounds good to me. My only advice on type or form of book is take the time before now and leaving to practice writing. I'm serious, do a trial run on something you already know. Do it from the view of you finding your own style of writing.

I have done this myself, it's a very interesting experience. It's a bit like Aikido, trying to do it like someone else is not natural.

I have written two books in this way, unpublished, as part of my training. I even printed them out and made covers and my own binding.

The next step I did was make twenty copies of each and handed them out to friends and associates, some who knew the subject concerned and some who never heard of it. Then I waited for the responses.

By the look of what you wrote above I think you have a good poetic style down pat so a few poems thrown in wouldn't hurt.

Just some thoughts.

Regards.G.
Hi Graham,

thanks for the advice, which I know is good. I will probably enrole on a creative writing course just to start getting me focussed on things. The funny thing about writing is, we can all do it, but that doesn't mean we can all be good writers, does it? (a bit like aikido, too?).

If and when I start the whole blogging malarky, I will be inviting comment and criticism, on content, style etc. this will be a way of both practice and discipline.

thanks,

Mark

Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #58
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post

Best,
My favorite route south out of SF was always 35 (Skyline) down the spine of the coast hills to pick up 9 into Sta Cruz, then pick up 1 if I were continuing further south.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #59
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Mark - If you are in NYC, it would be a mistake not to stop by Shin Budo Kai and practice with Shizuo Imaizumi. Marc A. is one of his senior students.

If you get to Atlanta, you are welcome to practice with us.

What particular style do you practice now, and is your interest in furthering your study in that, or a broader exposure to other styles - I think that may help you set your itinerary. Great way to see the States.

Larry
Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #60
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

If you accompany that book with pictures of your travel, it could very well become a hit. Please no dojo group poses though. Candid all the way.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #61
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote: View Post
Mark - If you are in NYC, it would be a mistake not to stop by Shin Budo Kai and practice with Shizuo Imaizumi. Marc A. is one of his senior students.

If you get to Atlanta, you are welcome to practice with us.

What particular style do you practice now, and is your interest in furthering your study in that, or a broader exposure to other styles - I think that may help you set your itinerary. Great way to see the States.

Larry
Hi Larry,

Marc will possibly be my first meeting on my trip. It would be great to practice with Imaizumi Sensei if I can.

My style for the past 19 years has been ki-aikido as taught by Ken Williams, who was the first brit to learn Aikido in the UK when Kenshiro Abbe started teaching it it in 1955. At some point after Abbe returned to Japan, KW went with Tohei, which is where he learnt his teaching method, then developed from there.

My interest is to explore the wider world of aikido and as many different styles and teachers as I can manage. I know that I will find Ki Society dojos to be the most similar, but I really want to experience it all.

I will be posting a more detailed question in a new thread, regarding this matter.

I will be looking for recommendations of the best teachers I can meet along the way, and I will go out of my way to experience the best.

I hope to be calling through Atlanta on my journey south on the east coast, so I hope to see you on the way.

regards,

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #62
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
If you accompany that book with pictures of your travel, it could very well become a hit. Please no dojo group poses though. Candid all the way.
Hi Ahmad,

thanks for that piece of advice, I agree, too many group shots would just become a blur.

I'm not expecting to write a best seller, however there are many aikido in the world who may find it of interest.

Where is your dojo located, I may be able to see you (and get a candid photo )

regards,

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #63
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Mark,

You really ought to visit Hiroshima. I am sure you can think of reasons why besides aikido.

As for the book, I suggest a series of Aikiweb columns first. Then you can judge the strength of the market.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 08-29-2011 at 06:20 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #64
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
My favorite route south out of SF was always 35 (Skyline) down the spine of the coast hills to pick up 9 into Sta Cruz, then pick up 1 if I were continuing further south.
Hi Janet,

is that the route that Alice's Restaurant is on? if it is, it is a great road to ride a motorcycle on

regards,

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #65
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Mark,

You really ought to visit Hiroshima. I am sure you can think of reasons why besides aikido.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hi Peter,

I will, and I hope to meet you when I am there.

The way thing are working in my mind at the moment, it wont be until some time in 2013. For some reason I have stuck on going west first. However, someone just suggested to me that I go east, which is just as possible, I suppose. My ticket purchasing is scheduled for October this year, so I will have to have made my mind up by then.

I will be asking you and other forum members who are familiar with Japan, for more information about both the aikido practicing opportunities and other things you feel I would be crazy to miss.

regards,

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #66
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
As for the book, I suggest a series of Aikiweb columns first. Then you can judge the strength of the market.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hi Peter,

good suggestion, I will look into that once I get going. I will contact Jun to see what is possible.

My intention is to create a blog, and record my experiences and musings there. I guess that will give me a good indication of interest. As I have not written like this before, it will be an ongoing experiment. The only writing I have published so far, are training manuals for courses I used to run as a corporate trainer.

thanks,

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #67
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I am pretty sure Alice's Restaurant was in the Berkshires...we live about a quarter of a mile from Arlo's church.
Maybe it is a completely different one you are talking about.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #68
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I am pretty sure Alice's Restaurant was in the Berkshires...we live about a quarter of a mile from Arlo's church.
Maybe it is a completely different one you are talking about.
Hi Mary,

you may well be right, I was never sure if it was the one mentioned in Arlo's epic tale.

I remember buying a sweatshirt (long since comandered by my daughter!) there and the address was, Skyline Drive CA.

If you are right and yours is the real one, I'll buy you and Ron a coffee there, when I come to visit

regards,

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #69
graham christian
England

Hi Mark. Make sure it's the right one cos you can get anything you want there.

Here's my thinking......

You see, you can get anything you need
With Alice's new Aiki.......
You can get anything you need,
With Alice's new Aiki,
Just rush right in you'll be on your back,
Wondering how you got there from your best attack,
It's cos, you can get anything you need from Alice's new Aiki.

Sing along now......

Regards.G.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #70
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Hi Janet,

is that the route that Alice's Restaurant is on? if it is, it is a great road to ride a motorcycle on

regards,

Mark
Indeed! IIRC that is where Skyline meets 84 to La Honda.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #71
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hi Mark. Make sure it's the right one cos you can get anything you want there.

Here's my thinking......

You see, you can get anything you need
With Alice's new Aiki.......
You can get anything you need,
With Alice's new Aiki,
Just rush right in you'll be on your back,
Wondering how you got there from your best attack,
It's cos, you can get anything you need from Alice's new Aiki.

Sing along now......

Regards.G.

Although Arlo's version made Alice famous, Smokie's sing along song, keeps coming to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlzn9...eature=related

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #72
graham christian
England

Quote:

Although Arlo's version made Alice famous, Smokie's sing along song, keeps coming to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlzn9...eature=related

Mark
Just played it. Excellent. Memories.....

Hey, I saw this dude singing on the proms. Brilliant I thought. Was waiting to introduce it into a conversation but thought you might like it so what do you think?

http://youtu.be/dg3PberzvXo

Regards.G.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #73
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Just played it. Excellent. Memories.....

Hey, I saw this dude singing on the proms. Brilliant I thought. Was waiting to introduce it into a conversation but thought you might like it so what do you think?

http://youtu.be/dg3PberzvXo

Regards.G.
I think this guy is hugely talented, I really enjoyed that one, thanks!

cheers,

Mark

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #74
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:

Mark
nah! i preferred this one

I don't want a pickle
I just want to do my wild aikido
And I don't want a tickle
`Cause i rather do my wild aikido
And I don't want to die
Just want to do my aiki wild....do